Wheat Belly

Options
13»

Replies

• LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat some bell peppers, yes. I eat tomatoes as well. From my own back yard. I do limit my carb intake atm, but again, I do try to get to the below average level of leanness. If I did not, it would not be necessary at all. Saying this, my carb intake with all its limitations gets me to almost a pound of vegetables a day. Which I happily eat.

I also experimented a lot with the natural fructose, and going over 5-6 g is where it starts triggering the sugar cravings and appetite/mood swings for me. So, I stay away from sweet potatoes and sweet fruit. But peppers, radishes, tomatoes, turnips, rutabagas, avocados are not visibly harmful to my blood sugar.

It's pretty interesting, actually, watching your body react to the food inputs. I am so glad not to be overweight, perpetually hungry and diabetic. Thanks goodness I stopped eating grains when I did!
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    So you're eating your 1400-1500 cals and starving. You eliminate carbs, eat less calories and now you're less hungry?

Like I said, I'm glad it worked for you. I just can't wrap my brain around it. To me it's like saying "I used to be broke, then I got rid of all my $5 bills. Now I have all the cash I'd ever need.

I did not eliminate carbs. I eliminated grains, legumes, bad oils and all sweeteners.

Yea, sugar hunger is the false hunger, it sets your appetite to an unnatural level. That's why I am saying you need to try for yourself to see the difference. Well, that is if you have to eat every 3 hours, get dizzy and disoriented when hungry, sleepy and craving sweets at 2 pm, and have shakes and all the other classic symptoms of the sugar swings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you really think store brought 100% wholemeal bread is no different than saltine crackers (which are also available in whole wheat BTW)? Or are you unaware that stores now sell wholemeal bread?

Have you ever read the ingredient list on your whole wheat bread?

Of course, I read the ingredient list on everything I buy.
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    So, care to count how many things is in your bread in addition to the flour, water and yeast? Does your bread go stale the next day the way the bread should?
  • meenzer
    meenzer Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm a coeliac no gluten/wheat for me at all but I've still managed to put on over 7 stone. Cutting out what may work for some people but its not the golden answer.

Thank you, we are all different in exercise, food intake, intolerance... and so on and on... find out what works for you and finalize it!!!

Fact is that the industry and many Dr.s making tons of money, because of their own theory, which does not mean it's wrong... BUT if you go back to the roots, you will see it works (it sure takes time!!!) plus you can save your money to grant yourself if you have reached your goal or these little in between goals!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, care to count how many things is in your bread in addition to the flour, water and yeast? Does your bread go stale the next day the way the bread should?

It would go stale in less than a day if I left it out in the open. But why would I do that? I have more than one type of wholemeal bread, but the one I checked has 11 ingredients in addition to flour water and yeast.

ETA: I'm curious to know what this has to do with saltines, though.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I read his book. I cut out all the wheat to give it a try. I felt so much better, the fat around my mid section seemed to melt away. I've added wheat back(Husband brought home Michigan Apple Cinnamon Bread and I couldn't say no) and I have been achy, tired and my mid-squish seems to be coming back. I kept looking at the calories in bread too and was like dang if I eat that bread then I can't afford to have x later. On that note is was easy, I would rather have a few extra slices of bacon and my blt wrapped with lettuce. Just my personal take on it. Give it a shot what do you have to loose?

I have heard that before - wheat making people feel sluggish, and I think it depends on the person. I have done the Quantum Wellness Cleanse and felt no different without gluten than I did with it. However, as I age my midsection is where I am starting to gain weight, so I am definitely cutting back on carbs. I hope I see the same results you did!!

Also - BLT lettuce wraps is a BRILLIANT idea!!
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    It would go stale in less than a day if I left it out in the open. But why would I do that? I have more than one type of wholemeal bread, but the one I checked has 11 ingredients in addition to flour water and yeast.

Not saltiness, not sure why saltiness is in here. The idea is that commercial bread uses a number of chemical additives to make it softer, puffier, prevent it from growing mold, going stale fast. Those chemicals, plus processing of the grain make bread into a product that is used as an appetizer in the restaurants... i.e. food designed to increase your appetite. Increased appetite is not all that great a thing for weight loss or maintenance. If you have no sensitivity to wheat, whole wheat (i.w cracked wheat) or grains cooked in a traditional way will significantly change your appetite if you previously ate pasta and bread. I still would go with legumes, millet and buckwheat before whole wheat though (or rice). Nutritional bang for caloric buck.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not saltiness, not sure why saltiness is in here. The idea is that commercial bread uses a number of chemical additives to make it softer, puffier, prevent it from growing mold, going stale fast. Those chemicals, plus processing of the grain make bread into a product that is used as an appetizer in the restaurants... i.e. food designed to increase your appetite. Increased appetite is not all that great a thing for weight loss or maintenance. If you have no sensitivity to wheat, whole wheat (i.w cracked wheat) or grains cooked in a traditional way will significantly change your appetite if you previously ate pasta and bread. I still would go with legumes, millet and buckwheat before whole wheat though (or rice). Nutritional bang for caloric buck.

That's funny since you value n=1 situations so much, I've been with mult people that have avoided or limited eating from the bread basket as not to fill up and save room for their apps and entrees and of course evil sugary desserts. Funny that it doesn't seem to increase their appetite but provide satiety
  • bcattoes
    Options

Wholemeal doesn't necessarily mean wheat. While the bread I checked did contain wheat, it was not 100% whole wheat bread. It also is "all natural" so not many chemicals and many of the other ingredients were things like salt, honey, oats, oil and flax seeds. Though it does also contain high fructose corn syrup and a few stabilizers.

I eat grains cooked the traditional way often, though I'm not a big fan of millet, and probably more legumes than the average person. I also eat pizza and bread.

And I didn't ask about saltiness. I asked about saltines. My reply was to your post saying store bought bread was the same as saltine crackers. Then you asked about the number of ingredients. Just not sure of your line of thought.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Davis is given to sensationalism, but he is right on the money that grain makes you gain. I think absolutely everyone should try to go clean-food only, grain-less and legume-less for 6 weeks and see the difference for themselves.

His recipes are stupid though. He tries hard to sub grain products with some false nut based crap. To do it right, no faking is required. Real veggies + meat + good fats = life's wonderful and good.

Grain makes me lose. It's a win-win. :laugh: :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You must be joking.

No. All nutritional research is lies, darn lies and more lies until you tried the concept for yourself and saw if it works for you or not.

When you stop losing weight, try dropping that toast. Everything in moderation doesn't work long term.

The lie is adherence to a fad diet while telling yourself otherwise.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You must be joking.

No. All nutritional research is lies, darn lies and more lies until you tried the concept for yourself and saw if it works for you or not.

When you stop losing weight, try dropping that toast. Everything in moderation doesn't work long term.

The lie is adherence to a fad diet while telling yourself otherwise.

True statement.