Can somebody just tell me if this is healthy or not?

Options

Replies

• rladd6421
    rladd6421 Posts: 455
    Options
    my theory on bread is the darker the better. You want a bread that is made of whole grains, not processed flour (eg. enriched wheat flour, white flour, all purpose flour, enriched flour).
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You should eat protein with every meal. It helps to keep your body from using your muscle mass as an energy source.

thank you, I needed to know this information.

This is not true! Why does everyone think this is true?!

In extreme cases it is. However, for the people that are on here and in 1st world countries...it's not an issue. You're body will consume fats long before it eats muscles. I agree with you...wareagle...this is propaganda no different than spot reducing.

Maybe everyone thinks it's true because those who say it's not true provide no explanation as to why it isn't true. :huh: :grumble:

I thought protein with every meal is good as it takes longer to digest and keeps you feeling fuller longer. That's what a dietician told me???
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Okay for breakfast i had :Go ahead apple and raisin biscuit(50cals)
    Lunch: Pasta king no cheese (250cal)
    Dinner: small red potato with salmon with veg dk how many cals yet
    snacks: 1 1/2 more goahead biscuits (100 cals)

I got told this was a very bad diet:/

Sounds healthy to me., but I am not sure what a goahead biscuit is. Is that different from a buttermilk biscuit?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You are consuming aprrox 700 cal a day. YES this is unhealthy.

Oh, wait I didn't catch that part. This is ALL you ate? Yeah, I would have that everything but the snack just for breakfast.

Reading problems today. :ohwell: :blushing:

I am thinking you said an apple with raisins and a biscuit with cheese with a small potato and salmon. That sounds like a good breakfast, but I don't eat salmon, so it's not for me. :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    That's a lot of empty carbs & starches(pasta, biscuits, potatoes) with very little protein and veggies. Also WAY too few calories. If you eat more lean proteins and veggies, you can eat LOTS of food and feel great (once you get over the reduced carbs) with lots more energy, and still stay fairly low on calories. But not as low as you are now; that's not enough to live on.

What is an "empty carb?" I had pasta for lunch today. It gave me 11 grams of protein. Carbs are a macronutrient, in and of themselves, so how does that make them "empty?" Water is empty, but pasta and biscuits have carbohydrates and some protein, as well as iron as well as calcium and biscuits have a good fat mix in them, if they are made right.

CARBS ARE GOOD!
  • hafsahkh
    hafsahkh Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Oh, wait I didn't catch that part. This is ALL you ate? Yeah, I would have that everything but the snack just for breakfast.

I am thinking you said an apple with raisins and a biscuit with cheese with a small potato and salmon. That sounds like a good breakfast, but I don't eat salmon, so it's not for me. :tongue:
    haha no i had a go ahead breakfast biscuit you're meant to eat all 3 for breakfast but i find it really hard to eat in the morning
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Here are some recipes to get more protein into your diet http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com
  • BoBoDoesPaleo
    Options
    You should eat protein with every meal. It helps to keep your body from using your muscle mass as an energy source.

She is definitely eating enough carbs that her body won't get anywhere near her muscles to use them as an energy source.

Don't let this person freak you out, OP.

No, you're right. Instead, she'll simply be consuming carbs that turn into sugar that turn into fat. Yes, eating carbs instead of protein is a really good idea.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

haha no i had a go ahead breakfast biscuit you're meant to eat all 3 for breakfast but i find it really hard to eat in the morning

HAHA ... I started making baked oatmeal for breakfast. I love oatmeal cookies, so I basically got a recipe to make baked oatmeal, but instead of oatmeal cookie spices, I use peanut butter for the flavor, and then I add hemp protein powder to them. I make them up ahead of time and then grab four to take to work with me.

There is NO WAY I could survive on what you are eating. That would be less than two meals for me. I eat 1800 calories per day.

Just keep logging your food on MFP and watch the nutrition information at the bottom. And don't listen to most of the people on here that think *their* diet ought to be *your* diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

She is definitely eating enough carbs that her body won't get anywhere near her muscles to use them as an energy source.

Don't let this person freak you out, OP.

No, you're right. Instead, she'll simply be consuming carbs that turn into sugar that turn into fat. Yes, eating carbs instead of protein is a really good idea.

How does that happen in a calorie deficit, smarty-pants?
  • Turtlejogger
    Turtlejogger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is not only short on calories, but protein as well. Some diets, like Medifast, greatly restrict calories, but they make sure you have a lot of protein because they know that if you don't, you lose muscle tissue. While you may not want to be a body builder, do you want your body breaking up your heart tissue to try to survive? NOT! You MUST take in protein and some fat. (the fat is for your nervous system)
  • hafsahkh
    Options
    If i eat two pieces of fish isnt that high in protein :P
  • hafsahkh
    Options

HAHA ... I started making baked oatmeal for breakfast. I love oatmeal cookies, so I basically got a recipe to make baked oatmeal, but instead of oatmeal cookie spices, I use peanut butter for the flavor, and then I add hemp protein powder to them. I make them up ahead of time and then grab four to take to work with me.

There is NO WAY I could survive on what you are eating. That would be less than two meals for me. I eat 1800 calories per day.

Just keep logging your food on MFP and watch the nutrition information at the bottom. And don't listen to most of the people on here that think *their* diet ought to be *your* diet.

hahahaha about 3 weeks ago i couldnt see myself surviving on this much food but its working out and im not snacking on all the bad stuff like i normally did! Its just like what do i do.. if i eat to much 'oh you'll get fat' when i eat little 'oh you'll get fat' and people are saying im starving myself when im not because i dont feel hungry if i was starving myself i'd have no energy! Thanks for the advice <3 x
  • hafsahkh
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1970 per day. I started using this app on 09/10/12 weighing at 274.6lbs. I usually have 3 different breakfast options; peanutbutter banana wrap, bowl of cherrios with a cut up banana and fat free milk or a light yogurt and an orange. I take a multivitiamin and drink a SOBE life water. Lunches usually consist of a wrap (tuna, ham, turkey, etc...) I use laughing cow cheese or Sargentos thin sliced low calorie cheeses, yellow mustard, lettuce and a pickle. Dinners are carefully measured by serving size but I'll have chicken, veggie burger, turkey burger, fish and then usually a green veggie or side salad. I am a fan of the right snacks though out the day because I am not looking to be depressed about my weight as well as depressed about my hunger :) My snacks are usually a fiberone brownie, a kashi roll bar or a sugar free popsicle. My selections will have varying opinions about healthiness but 2 things I know; 1. I have to work on lowering my sodium intake with the dieting food I am using 2. I weighed in this morning with a loss of 16lbs in only 24 days. I am joining planet fitness this week to get my cardio on as I have yet to exercise with this diet. I Drink on average of 6 cups of water a day (should be 8) and I drink Turkey Hill Diet Green iced tea when I am not having a life water. Good Luck

Thanks for sharing what you have:) and congrats on the weight loss!! Thats amazing i wish i could lose weight as fast as that!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If i eat two pieces of fish isnt that high in protein :P

YES! Fish is also good for essential fatty acids that your brain needs to function. (And by the way, your brain thrives on carbs as well)

As far as not eating enough, sometimes we need to listen to our bodies, but sometimes our bodies are big, fat liars, especially for those of us who are not used to eating a healthy diet.

I suggest to do some research, plus logging everything you eat on here. I have found that a lot of things that I thought I knew (like the lie about carbs causing people to get fat) were not true at all. Learn how fat oxidation occurs, and about your resting metabolic rate, and it will open your eyes to a whole new way of eating.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think that if you consider a box of raisins as an appropriate lunch and a teaspoon of mash potatoes is a normal portion that anyone would eat on a diet or not that you need to speak to a professional about this just like someone else mentioned. If you don't already have an eating disorder then you might just be on the way to one!

Eat healthy and exercise listen to all the great advice people are giving you so you don't damage your heart which is muscle and end up looking unhealthy too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Too few calories and not a single veggie. Not healthy.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You need to add more whole foods, an apple, some carrots, or a boiled egg are good portable snacks to take with you. I have trouble eating early also, so have have a little bite with my coffee, then about an hour later eat the rest of breakfast(most days) then at lunch put a bit of grilled or baked chicken or fish and some vegetables on that pasta plate. You will truly lose weight faster if you fuel your body. I am still experimenting to find the perfect # for decent loss. I have only been on MFP for a few weeks but lost 50lbs on Weight Watchers..they encourage lots of fruit and veggies, and protein and whole carbs, not processed carbs.
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would advise that you eat more vegetables.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any fresh fruit?