My favorite spaghetti squash recipe! What's yours?

Options
I love spaghetti squash. I could eat it for almost every meal and be happy. Normally I don't care for the fall because I know that winter is coming up shortly after and I hate the cold but last night when I was grocery shopping I found a reason to love the fall. The spaghetti squash are huge! Sure, you can buy them year round but they are small, barely enough for both my husband and I to have for a meal and I like to cook in bulk. I got a squash last night that was at least 7 pounds and I can't wait to cook it! The following is my favorite way to eat spaghetti squash but I would love some more recipes!

Needed
1 spaghetti squash
2 bell peppers (your choice color - I use red and green)
Minced garlic
1 onion
2 tomatoes
Olives
Crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 375
Cut 1 spaghetti squash in half and clean
Place cut side down on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 45 minutes (or until you can easily pierce the shell with a fork)

While the spaghetti squash is cooking, cut up 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 1/2 to 1 whole onion (your choice depending on love for onions), and heat up in a pan with minced garlic to taste. I usually use 2-3 tbs of garlic but then I really like garlic. Once the onion is a little soft, add diced tomatos and olives until they are heated.

When the spaghetti squash is done, take out of the oven and using a fork scrap the interior longways to form the "noodles" and put them in a large bowl. Toss with the veggies and then serve with crumbled feta cheese on top.

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love to roast my spaghetti squash (I use the same method as you) and then mix the flesh with a bit of salt, pepper, and butter. I top it with some homemade marinara and eat it like pasta.

spaghettisquash_sm.jpg

I also really like to mix it with salt, pepper, parmesan, and fresh herbs - just to eat on its own without any sauce. Yummm.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just made this Sunday:

large spaghetti squash - cut off ends, cut in half, remove seeds; put water in large casserole pan (about 1/2 inch); put spaghetti squash in open side down and bake at 350 until soft

In the meantime, slice some mushrooms (or used canned) & cut up a large vidalia onions and soften in water in a saucepan.

When the spaghetti squash is soft, shred out the inside into a large bowl, add mushrooms & onions and marinara sauce (if I don't have homemade, I use Ragu Light) and mix together.

I serve it hot with a bit of parmesan and ricotta. It is really one of my favorite meals in the autumn.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I gotta try this. I've never made anything with spaghetti squash.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just had a bowl of spaghetti squash for lunch topped with tomato-basil pasta sauce and a few veggie meatballs. Yum!!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just bought a spaghetti squash yesterday, I think I'm gonna mix up all of these recipes and make it for dinner tonight. Thanks!
  • tsign36
    tsign36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We honestly eat spaghetti squash for at least two dinners (or lunch) a week! My entire family LOVES it! Even my 18 month old daughter eats it by the fist fulls!

Anyway, we do the "spaghetti" like version which is always yummy.

We also like to just use a little butter spray salt and pepper, simple and wonderful.

Two nights ago we had it with little balls of fresh mozzarella, basil, tomato and garlic with a drizzle of balsamic vin. it tasted like bruschetta.

We use it as a base for dishes as well, like Chilie (spelt wrong somehow) and like it cold with a little salad dressing on it.

You cannot go wrong with spaghetti squash.

I do however cook mine in the microwave as I hate to heat up the house for an hour... I stab it with a fork a bunch and throw the whole thing in the mic. and then cook it about 6 minutes, flip it over and do another 6 minutes, till it is soft when you press on it then just cut it, scoop out the seeds and go fork crazy on it!
  • cburnsd
    Options
    Add lean ground turkey or Morning Start crumbles.

Or in lieu of red sauce you can Trader Joes "just sauce" which is a turkey bolognese and low calorie and packed with flavor.

I like to sautee a yellow onion and some mushrooms with a little olive oil and add that as well. Toasted fennel seeds are also a nice touch of flavor.
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just made a Skinny Shrimp scampi version. It was delish! It was a recipe from the Rachel Ray magazine and very easy to make!
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for future reference. Always great to have new spaghetti squash ideas!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I had spagatti squash for supper last night. I cooked it in the microwave and then mixed it with spices and butter buds. It was missing something. I've got to try it with maranara sauce tonight! thanks!
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash sounds amazing!.....stupid question is it called speghetti squash at the store or just squash? :blushing:
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Spaghetti squash sounds amazing!.....stupid question is it called speghetti squash at the store or just squash? :blushing:

It's actually called spaghetti squash. It is *usually* in a bin amongst other types of winter squash but it will have some kind of sticker on it (similar to those on bananas and apples) that specify which type it is.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It is called spaghetti squash. It is an oval shape, relatively large and yellow. Butternut is skinny up top and wider on the bottom and kind of a flesh color and acorn looks like an acorn and is green. Those are the 3 main "squashes" that are sold in grocery stores. All are very good in their own ways;-)
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    They usually call it either Spaghetti Squash or Winter Squash at the store. It's usually about the same size and shape of an American Football... only it's yellow. Hope this helps you find it easier!

I had spaghetti squash for dinner and leftovers for lunch today. I usually make mine in the microwave. I will pierce a BUNCH of holes in it with a for first (it's great for getting out the day's frustrations haha) then toss it in the microwave for 8-10 minutes depending on how big it is or until the skin gets kinda squishy. I leave it on the plate on the counter for several minutes to let it cool down. Then I cut it in half length-wise, remove the seeds and icky strings in the middle. Then scrape it out with a fork into a big bowl. Once it's in the bowl I just add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some parmesan cheese and pop it back in the microwave for 1-2 minutes just to get the cheese melty.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    We LOVE spaghetti squash here too!! Even my kids love it( 11mo, 2, 7, 8). We use newmans own sockerooni sauce on it and have grilled chicken on the side. Occasionally I'll use lean ground turkey burger in the sauce and we just mix it like pasta. the kids and I like parmesan on top, but the hubby likes feta. going to have to try some of these other recipes though!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    BUMP! this sounds amazing! I actually just put spaghetti squash on my grocery list for tonight.... I may have to try this out! :)
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any yet this year... yuuummmmmm
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    Bump...Never had spaghetti squash before. Gonna have to try :smile:
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump! I just tried spaghetti squash for the first time at a restaurant recently, and it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was reheating the leftovers the next day in the microwave. But I will definitely try some of these recipes!