My favorite spaghetti squash recipe! What's yours?

Options

Replies

• RadioactivePirate
    Options
    That's so funny, I just logged on to log my dinner of spaghetti squash and I saw this thread on the side!
    Here's what I made, it was based on a recipe I found in the newspaper a couple days ago.

Spicy Spaghetti Squash with Sausage
    1 medium spaghetti squash
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 can corn, drained
    1 can diced tomatoes, drained
    1 jalapeno, chopped
    1 sweet onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp lime juice
    1 lb turkey sausage

Heat the oven to 375*. Cut the squash in half and remove the middles, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, and put the squash halves cut side down on the cookie sheet and roast for 40 minutes until a knife slides in easily. When the squash is cool enough to handle, shred with a fork. Toss the onion, red pepper, and jalapeno in olive oil. Sautee until onions are cooked. Add sausage to the pan and cook through. Add the black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and chili powder, and stir until heated through. Add the squash, lime juice, cilantro, and salt and stir again until it's all heated.

Makes about 6 2 cup servings, each 294 calories, 40g carbs, 6g fat, 22g protein by my calculation. It'll vary slightly based on your ingredients and the size of the squash.

The original recipe had red onion instead of sweet,and no sausage or diced tomatoes, so you could try it that way too. It was delicious!
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love to roast my spaghetti squash (I use the same method as you) and then mix the flesh with a bit of salt, pepper, and butter. I top it with some homemade marinara and eat it like pasta.

spaghettisquash_sm.jpg

I also really like to mix it with salt, pepper, parmesan, and fresh herbs - just to eat on its own without any sauce. Yummm.

Ok, that looks amazeballs.
  • LiqueLique89
    LiqueLique89 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just discovered spaghetti squash a last month & i tried out the Herbed Spaghetti Squash recipe from Emeril Lagasse. I didn't like it too much because one of the herbs gave it an after taste. So last week i made some again. I just baked it in the oven (cut side down in some water) covered with foil for 45 min. then cooked in in 4 tbsp. of heart healthy butter (i like smart balance) with some salt and pepper to taste. It was absolutely delicious!
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    PS- we roast for 30 minutes with a little olive oil pam. Then shred and sprinkle with parm cheese and garlic salt. I love Spaghetti squash!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    bump, never tried this but I love yellow squash so I'll be picking one up at the grocery store next week. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas...
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • catapultlaunch
    Options
    bump
  • emd528
    emd528 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Stole this one from Hungry Girl- it's delicious, I make it all the time!

1/4 whole spaghetti squash
    1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
    2 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1 tsp. fat-free sour cream

Place quartered spaghetti squash in a large microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave until soft, about 8 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, scrape spaghetti squash strands out with a fork. (I usually save the other half of the squash, or adjust the sauce portions accordingly.)

Add cheese wedge, grated topping, and sour cream, breaking the cheese wedge into pieces as you add it. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until cheese melts.

Stir well and, if you like, season to taste with salt and pepper.

Additions/substitutions:

Sometimes I add pine nuts, grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and/or broccoli... Yum! I usually add red pepper flakes to give it some kick, too.

I don't always keep sour cream/parm on hand, so sometimes I just use two wedges of Laughing Cow per serving, and I think it tastes just as good!
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    I have a recipe for noodle-free lasagna (uses sliced, roasted zucchini, yellow squash and egg plant for "noodles") that takes a long time to make. My husband liked the meat mixture so much he suggested we use it as spaghetti sauce. Keeping in the spirit of the original recipe, we used spaghetti squash instead and it has been a family favorite ever since.

Chuck’s Spaghetti

Ingredients:
    2 medium spaghetti squash
    1.5 lb lean sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
    2 medium bell peppers, diced
    2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced
    1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
    1 cup tomato sauce
    ½ cup coarsely chopped basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:

Cut squash in half long-wise and remove seeds.

Pierce squash skin with a fork. In a large pot, add 2 inches of water and 1 squash half, skin side up. Cover and boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove squash and transfer to a clean work surface. Repeat with remaining squash halves, refilling water as needed. With two forks, scrape stringy flesh from skin, separating into strands. (Can be made up to 2 days before. Store covered and reheat before serving.)

Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking up meat
    Remove from skillet, drain fat
    Add bell peppers and mushrooms, cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender
    Return sausage to skillet
    Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt and black pepper, cook 1 to 2 minutes until heated

Serve meat mixture over spaghetti squash and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Southwestern Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients
    1 spaghetti squash ( 3 pounds)
    1 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
    1 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    3/4 cup monterey jack cheese, divided
    1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Cut squash in half lengthwise.
    Remove and discard seeds.
    Place squash, cut side down, in greased baking pan.
    Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just tender.
    Using fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from hot squash and place strands in large bowl.
    Add tomatoes with juice, beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic salt and pepper; toss well.
    Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
    Spoon mixture into casserole.
    Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
    Bake uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
    Serve immediately

I made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious!! Thank you for the recipe!
  • Roundabouting
    Options
    Bump
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    well here is one of my all time favorite

Spaghetti squash alla carbonara:

Seed, and scrape out a spaghetti squash enough to get 1.5 lbs, toss with a little bit of olive oil, and salt spread single layer on a cookie sheet and put into a 350 degree oven for 13 mins. remove and set aside.

In a large sauté pan heat a little olive oil and sauté 3/4 cup pancetta (or bacon if you can't get pancetta) diced small until it takes some color and starts to crispen, then turn the heat off (leaving all the ingredients in the pan and setting the pan aside)

In a large bowl combine 8 eggs, 1/2cup each fresh grated Parmesan, and pecorino cheeses, a little salt and some fresh grated black pepper. Whisk together until mixture comes together and the cheeses are well blended/suspended in the mix

Return the skillet with pancetta to a medium heat, and once heated, add the spaghetti squash. Add the egg mixture and stir aggressively over the heat for 1-2 mins until egg mixture starts to look like a cream sauce...remove from heat, garnish with some fresh chives. and serve immediately.
  • ucanduit
    Options
    One thing I do with spaghetti squash is: Cook it, remove seeds and pull out the flesh with a fork which of course makes the "noodles". Then I toss it with a bit of salt, plus either some sweetener or brown sugar to taste and whatever butter substitute you prefer (I like Brummel and Brown). If you like nutmeg or cinnamon add a little of that as well. So good!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • jailyn3
    jailyn3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*

Could definitely use a variety of recipes to use for my spaghetti squash!
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Bump for later, I haven't tried spaghetti squash yet!
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    oooo never tried this but sounds fab
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I never heard of actual Spaghetti Squash, but I put Zucchini in mine, they don't get as soft. Ans of course thee kids like it better than squash.