carbs from veg

Options
124»

Replies

• RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    meats an addiction, its obviously apparent in this thread.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why is beans and rice, or tofu a bad choice necessarily?

Beans and rice, although containing a full serving (~7g) protein, come with 30g of carbs per serving. Not to mention plant proteins lack one or more essential amino acids so if you're not complementing them properly you could run into AA deficiencies. So lets say youre trying to get 0.8-1.0g/lb bodyweight at 100lbs lean body mass: thats 80-100g/day protein. If only using beans, rice, corn, legumes youre looking at an additional 340-430g carbs - far more than anyone would ever need to consume.

Tofu is just on its own level of evil I'm not getting into because I don't feel like battling bad information.

For the record, the best plant-based protein is hemp seeds. It is actually a complete protein, in addition to being a source of your essential fatty acids, as well as the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and omega 6 fats. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you ought to consider adding hemp seeds to your diet.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Yep
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Yep

LMFAO :laugh:
  • hippietrailbadass
    Options
    "Is Butter a Carb?"
    [/quote]

LOL Oh dear
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

It's delicious.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The fact is, vegans have the lowest risk for MANY types of cancer, heart attacks, etc.. and are the least likely group to be overweight. You can say alll you want about all the foods we eat that you don't agree with, but the final results speak for themselves.

I went vegan Sept 2011. In just three months my total cholesterol went from 243 to 183, LDL went from 168 to 123. Fasting glucose went from 138 to 77. Basically, I fixed myself. The numbers are even better a year out and I have zero deficiencies in my blood work.

I've also lost about 52 lbs since then (have only been using MFP since March this year). Also in March, I signed up for an event called the Tough Mudder (www.toughmudder.com). It's a brutal mud run (go to the website, watch the video). I started training at the gym and at a boot camp 5 days a week.

I just finished the event this past weekend and had a ton of energy to spare. My point? Being a vegan has not held me back one bit. I'm not weak. I've put on 20 lbs of muscle while I've lost weight, so I'm getting plenty of protein. All the fruits and vegetables I eat make me feel great.

Vegan protein sources may be high in carbs, but meat is high in fat and cholesterol. And unless you're eating grass fed/free range and a super clean Paleo 24/7/365, that cholesterol is going to get you.

Before and after...

beforeandafter-s.jpg
  • hippietrailbadass
    Options
    Great transformation man!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    The fact is, vegans have the lowest risk for MANY types of cancer, heart attacks, etc.. and are the least likely group to be overweight. You can say alll you want about all the foods we eat that you don't agree with, but the final results speak for themselves.

I went vegan Sept 2011. In just three months my total cholesterol went from 243 to 183, LDL went from 168 to 123. Fasting glucose went from 138 to 77. Basically, I fixed myself. The numbers are even better a year out and I have zero deficiencies in my blood work.

I've also lost about 52 lbs since then (have only been using MFP since March this year). Also in March, I signed up for an event called the Tough Mudder (www.toughmudder.com). It's a brutal mud run (go to the website, watch the video). I started training at the gym and at a boot camp 5 days a week.

I just finished the event this past weekend and had a ton of energy to spare. My point? Being a vegan has not held me back one bit. I'm not weak. I've put on 20 lbs of muscle while I've lost weight, so I'm getting plenty of protein. All the fruits and vegetables I eat make me feel great.

Vegan protein sources may be high in carbs, but meat is high in fat and cholesterol. And unless you're eating grass fed/free range and a super clean Paleo 24/7/365, that cholesterol is going to get you.

Before and after...

beforeandafter-s.jpg

You look great. I went vegan in March of this year, and it is the best decision I ever made. It does not bother me for people to talk badly about it, because I know how aI feel, and I know that what I am doing is right for my body. And there is a TON of credible evidence to prove that fruits and veggies are great for you!
  • kiachu
    Options
    I was vegan for year, food was good, but my hair fell out and my skin dried up. Then I saw a big red steak in the grocery store and never looked back. I think people rag on vegetarians and vegans because they have been exposed to the preaching and moralizing. So the tables have turned. I personally don't think either or make a diffrence. Most people that have metabolic syndrome and what not are sh**y eaters. Doesn't matter if they eat meat or not.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    my diet is mainly fruit and vegetables, when i enter my daily foods on the food diary it says there is a lot of carbs in the veg. is this going to slow down my weight loss?

Only to the extent that you have a calorie surplus. If you eat 10,000 calories of fruit and veg, that's still 10,000 calories you have to burn off to break even for the day. Having said that, it's hard to maintain much of a surplus on most vegetables - they simply don't tend to be that calorie-dense with a few exceptions like corn.

If your diet is "mainly fruit and vegetables", are you making sure you are getting sufficient protein (which does not have to be from animal sources - nuts and grains and plenty of other non-meat sources can provide it)? If you aren't, then a higher component of your weight loss than you might like is going to be coming from burning muscle for protein.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for year, food was good, but my hair fell out and my skin dried up.

Eating vegetarian is a lifestyle that requires a certain amount of planning. If you just drop meat from your diet and eat the side dishes, you're going to get horribly low protein intake and have all sorts of problems.
    I think people rag on vegetarians and vegans because they have been exposed to the preaching and moralizing. So the tables have turned.

I think there's plenty of nastiness on both sides of what should be an utterly irrelevant difference in lifestyle choices. It's not necessarily a matter of "tables being turned" as much as a constant barrage of judgement from a vocal minority on both sides of a debate that simply should not exist in the first place.

But the same is true of a lot of things. We're dividing (and divisive) creatures, we humans.
  • kiachu
    Options
    I was vegan for year, food was good, but my hair fell out and my skin dried up.

Eating vegetarian is a lifestyle that requires a certain amount of planning. If you just drop meat from your diet and eat the side dishes, you're going to get horribly low protein intake and have all sorts of problems.

I researched it before I did it and weaned myself off of meat and ate all sorts of things like tofu, seitan, nuts, grains, etc. Not for me. I'm a omnivore through and through with a preference for cow meat. Alligators, snakes, rabbits, squirrel, bison, ostrich, sharks, nothing is safe from me, head to hoof.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I researched it before I did it and weaned myself off of meat and ate all sorts of things like tofu, seitan, nuts, grains, etc. Not for me. I'm a omnivore through and through with a preference for cow meat. Alligators, snakes, rabbits, squirrel, bison, ostrich, sharks, nothing is safe from me, head to hoof.

I eat very little tofu and grains and no seitan. Maybe you have a gluten sensitivity made bad by the diet? Just speculating.

I don't have any problems with gluten (at least not any that present themselves), but I still keep to colorful foods as much as possible.
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For the record, the best plant-based protein is hemp seeds. It is actually a complete protein, in addition to being a source of your essential fatty acids, as well as the perfect ratio of Omega 3 and omega 6 fats. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you ought to consider adding hemp seeds to your diet.

Seconded. :)
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options

Yep

Thats absolute f*cking bullsh*t.

Sorry for the language. This is an example of the bad information I cannot stand.

Seconded. :)

I'll second this as well. Completely forgot about hemp.
  • Punthank
    Options
    Nope, it's all (saturated) fat
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Nope, it's all (saturated) fat
    ?

:confused::