Muscles are heavier than fat, right?

Options
I've been going to the gym for about 4 months now, really enjoying it. Trying to watch what I eat, but I like my burgers and biscuits and I don't want to become a gym fanatic.
I was actually quite normal size before I started and just wanted to tone up a bit and lose a couple of kilos. I've noticed I tone up really quickly, so I reduced my weight training and increased my cardio. I go to the gym 2 x 2hrs a week.
I can tell I look a bit slimmer and toned BUT I'm putting weight on. I assume muscles are heavier than fat? I just wanna lose 3 kgs, I can't seem to shift any weight on those typical female areas while the rest of my body is toning up. Any tips? I know about nutrition, watch what i eat (in moderation) and no, I don't wanna go on a diet that I can't keep up for very long anyway.
Any tips for a more fat burning workout? What to eat in particular before/after workout?

Can anyone recommend any fat burning supplements that include appetite suppressants? Nothing too strong though and is there anything specifically for women?

Replies

• CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm pear-shaped (thighs are bigger than the rest of my body) and I know exactly what you're talking about! It helps to switch up your cardio routines alot, while still strength training. Like instead of running all the time, try the stair master, biking, zumba, etc. (: Anything to differentiate really helps! Watching what you eat is a big majority of it too. Unfortunately for me, my problem area still hasn't gone away, though it has slimmed. Sometimes you're body is just built like that and you have to embrace it!
    And yes, muscle does weigh more than fat.
    Also, I've heard to take protein 30-45 min after a good strength workout and carbs before an intense cardio workout.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Muscle has 10x the density of fat.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I can tell I look a bit slimmer and toned BUT I'm putting weight on.

I just wanna lose 3 kgs,

If you are smaller, then what's the problem?

Take your measurements and look for changes there.

Or buy a pair of pants that you can barely fit into and aim to fit in them.

There's more to this than weight, especially when you're talking 3 kg.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat? A pound of muscle, a pound of fat, and a pound of feathers are weigh a pound. No, muscles are not heavier than fat. Also, when exercising, fat does not turn into muscle, fat is fat, muscle is muscle, and feathers are feathers. They do not change and become something else.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the exact same. However, a pound of fat takes up much more room than a pound of muscle would.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    seems very unlikely. Iron is less than that.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    *sigh* When people say "muscle weighs more than fat", they don't actually think that a pound of anything weighs more or less than a pound of anything else. Stop being pedantic. That's my job.
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    For this post, I promise you are going to get A LOT of:

"a pound is a pound" related replies.

SEEING as I believe you mean that if you have the SAME volume of each, the muscle would be heavier.
    and yes this is true.

:)
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    would you want a number on a scale to be low but look like ****, or would you want a number on a scale to be high, but look amazing?

Seriously, the things people complain about. "Help, I'm continually looking better, but an arbitrary number on a machine noone else will ever see is not moving like how i want it too. What do I do?" gag
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for about 4 months now, really enjoying it. Trying to watch what I eat, but I like my burgers and biscuits and I don't want to become a gym fanatic.
    I was actually quite normal size before I started and just wanted to tone up a bit and lose a couple of kilos. I've noticed I tone up really quickly, so I reduced my weight training and increased my cardio. I go to the gym 2 x 2hrs a week.
    I can tell I look a bit slimmer and toned BUT I'm putting weight on. I assume muscles are heavier than fat? I just wanna lose 3 kgs, I can't seem to shift any weight on those typical female areas while the rest of my body is toning up. Any tips? I know about nutrition, watch what i eat (in moderation) and no, I don't wanna go on a diet that I can't keep up for very long anyway.
    Any tips for a more fat burning workout? What to eat in particular before/after workout?

Can anyone recommend any fat burning supplements that include appetite suppressants? Nothing too strong though and is there anything specifically for women?

Muscle is more dense than fat and takes up more space but unless you are doing some sort of specific bulking/muscle building protocol I doubt you are getting heavier because of muscle. "Toning" is not indicative to production of muscle mass. You probably are losing some fat but retaining fluid.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound...

However, I can tell you that in my own personal experience, when you start building muscle, the number on the scale is less important. about 9 years ago I was trying to lose 20lbs, and I took measurements before I started. This time around I started out 50 lbs heavier than I was back then. About 5 lbs ago I found my measurements... in 2004 I weighed 175lbs and wore a size 14. A few months ago I weighed 205lbs and wore...wait for it...a size 14! My thighs and hips are SMALLER even though I weigh 30lbs more. My waist and belly are only about an inch bigger. I may be a size 8 or 10 by the time I hit 175lbs, and my goal is 145lbs...
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat? A pound of muscle, a pound of fat, and a pound of feathers are weigh a pound. No, muscles are not heavier than fat. Also, when exercising, fat does not turn into muscle, fat is fat, muscle is muscle, and feathers are feathers. They do not change and become something else.

Wait....so you're saying the feathers don't turn in to reams of paper? :sad:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

this. Muscle is denser, therefore takes up less space than fat. BUT a pound is a pound whether it's fat or muscle, so NO muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. period.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    NADS,
    MUSCLES DO WAY MORE THAN FAT! THEY R HEAVIER CUZ THEY R MUSCLES. SO LIKE 1 LB OF MUSCLE WEIGHZ MORE THAN 1 LB OF FAT ,MAKE SENSE?
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    27727813.jpg
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Okay so if I have a pound of mussels and a pound of fat, the pound of mussels will weigh more, right?

But what if they're shelled?
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Muscle is about 18% denser than fat. For more information and references, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-much-does-a-pound-weigh-295817.

To the OP, there's nothing you can eat to "burn fat" -- at least nothing I've ever seen reputable research on.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just take measurements of yourself and ignore the scale. Look for body fat % calculators.

Good luck!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Even though I know muscle weighs more PER A GIVEN VOLUME than fat, it's still hard to get used to the fact that I'm gaining weight. I got so conditioned that loss is good and gain is bad it's a tough adjustment. But as I work out and eat more, the tape measure assures me all is well.
  • timbeck1986
    Options
    god i cannot gain muscle or lose fat.
    i cry everynight i dont see the scale go down!