Am I the only one?

Options
Did anyone go through a time of wanting to rush the weight loss process or feeling guilty when falling off the wagon. I feel like I'm working really hard and being really consistent, but the slightest bit of weakness and I feel like I'm failing. Just being tired of being called "big guy". Anyone have advice on how to keep running the race and finishing strong?

Replies

• Ann_Marie_76
    Ann_Marie_76 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have totally wanted to rush my weight loss, and have had more than my fair share of cheat days. But every day is a new day and a chance to start over. I have found my friends on here have been huge motivators. I have finally reached my goal weight after a year and a half. And trust me, that is a long time to lose 18 pounds, but now logging everything has become a habit!! You are on here, that is a big step. Hang in there and don't give up!!
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    Before joining this site, not only did I fall of the wagon, it would back up and run me over. I had zero will power, it is still not great but because of this site it is getting better. Seeing others success motivates me. Knowing I have log in what I eat and come face to face with it, help me make better choices. On Thursday, it will be two weeks since I joined and I can already tell a big change in the way I think about food and exercise. Hang in there, you are among friends now!!!
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the things you like to do as far as exercise goes. Try to weight lift every other day, and do cardio at least an hour every day. If you are watching television, during the commercials you can get up and jog in place, do jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, whatever that gets you active.

Keep eating what you like, but try to drop the amount down by about 10%.

If you log your meals and exercises into mfp every day, you can see how you are doing, and when you complete your log and the page reloads, mfp will tell you a weight that in 5 weeks you could be at if you keep up the good work you did that day. That right there is the reason that I continue to get onto mfp so much! I love seeing that it thinks I am doing so good that I could possibly lose 15 lbs in the next 5 weeks!

***Add me as a friend! I love helping to motivate people! I have lost 35 lbs since July 9th!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely guilty of wanting to lose weight too fast and rush the process. And I understand completely the feeling of eating more than I should and then being tempted to use that "failure" as an excuse to quit completely. A huge help to me on this journey so far came from comments by other folks on this site and some articles I've read that made clear we can't expect to be perfect. And so there's no reason to get too down or to quit when we're not. The critical thing is to recognize that this is a lifestyle change for the long haul - and no one's lifestyle is perfect every day. But if you use a bad day as motivation to do better the next day, recognizing that the more good days you have the better off you'll be - that's all you need to worry about. I'm finding it very helpful to cut myself enough slack to not use a bad day as an excuse to quit, but not so much slack that I don't fight harder the day after a bad one.
  • e10aylve
    e10aylve Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about falling off the wagon. But the "keep-on-trying" song keeps playing in my head. Im sure there will be easy days and the end result will be worth all the frustration. Like today all I wanted to do was eat. I got on the scale and hadn't lost a single pound. I could feel myself getting a little depressed but I shook it off and said to myself it will get better. And managed to work in a little exercise. The fact that you are making an effort makes a world of difference. Woo! Hooo!
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You hit when referencing a race and it's a marathon, not a sprint. We all have good and bad days, but every day you work on your goal becomes one more day towards a habit
  • affleckf
    Options
    I feel this way right now. I have only been at it for 2 weeks but I am rather discouraged that iv only lost 6.4 pounds :( and im with you buddy, im sick of being the, quote "she would be so pretty if she was thin" girl. Seriously, I walked up behind one of my co-workers telling my friend that when she thought I wasnt around. true story lol hang in there man, im sure we will get there eventually....

30022170.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You can't rush it. What really keeps me going, even though my weight loss has slowed to a snails pace, if not slower, is how I feel. Instead of concentrating on the weight loss goals, I've been setting fitness goals for myself. Currently I am training for a half marathon. :)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    When I first started i wanted to have this go ASAP, but I was realistic and knew it would probably take forever to lose weight since it took a long time to gain it. I resolved to commit to doing daily cardio, paying attention to what went in my mouth (yay MFP) and just take it a day at a time. I think we ALL want to have this "hurry up already!" but let me tell you something - after blowing by my "lose 50lbs by Christmas" goal 5 months ago and quickly approaching the "be under 225 by Christmas" replacement goal I just set a month ago, things are going a lot faster than expected and it is going SCARY fast. I have mixed feelings about the speed, grateful, worried, nervous excited, anxious, Im going to be an emotional wreck when I hit my goal weight next year (at this rate anyway!)

If you need some support feel free to add me :) I love being in the cheering section :)
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    I am sorry people call you "big guy"-Totally not necessary!

As for the sight, I would be eating RIGHT NOW if I didn't log in my food, count my calories and plug it in on the food log. I also would be eating if I didn't have MFP friends that will read my diary and read my comments tomorrow!

I have to lose 20 pounds, I have lost 7 from my highest weight and would like to lose about 10-12 more....

I am hoping to use this sight as my "stop cheating, stop quitting" board.
  • NotHopelessButHopeful
    Options
    Extremely guilty Of wanting a quick fix as far as weightloss. In the past I did lose about 30 lbs in a month but that was by taking crazy speed like diet pills from mexico. Boy did I get sick. Never again! Slow and steady is the way to go.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have certainly wanted to rush it. Once I admitted to myself that I was tired of being fat and determined to change, I have been wishing it would happen like right now! But I know that I spent 20 years of not caring, so I have to be patient. I have taken off about four years of fat in the last 12 weeks, so I'm off to a good start. But being patient is hard sometimes.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Extremely guilty Of wanting a quick fix as far as weightloss. In the past I did lose about 30 lbs in a month but that was by taking crazy speed like diet pills from mexico. Boy did I get sick. Never again! Slow and steady is the way to go.

Diet pills from Mexico.......when I was doing pills, you could get them right here in the States. :laugh:
  • AnnilyiahMarie
    AnnilyiahMarie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to rush it since i started... but for the first days i wasn't doing it the right way... i only ate one meal and then vigorusly excersized... now realizing how unhealthy that was i am now eating 2-3 meals a day with small snacks in between
  • traciekurtz
    traciekurtz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second week, which was way tougher for me than the first one. Not sure why! Anyhow, this is not my first time trying to shed the excess weight. I too have dealt with guilt feelings. This time around, I set a feasible goal....track everything regardless of whether or not I stay on track. Once I get this down pat, I will set another short term goal. I think short term goals help you to stay focused and not get so lost in the big picture. We didn't gain all this weight over night, and we aren't going to lose it over night! Keep it up!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Keep doing the things you like to do as far as exercise goes. Try to weight lift every other day, and do cardio at least an hour every day. If you are watching television, during the commercials you can get up and jog in place, do jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, whatever that gets you active.

I like the TV commercial idea, but I don't think you need to do cardio for an hour. I have only been doing 30 minutes, two-three days a week. There is some research that suggests that 30 minutes is best for maximum fat burning.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You are far from the only one.
    In fact, anyone who says they are patiently following their programme and never feel tempted to stray then either they are under hypnosis, medication or just plain lying.

This food diary helps to keep on the straight and narrow, especially with an open diary.

- and if you fall off, then just back on and adjust -I haven't figured out how to (easily) monitor weekly calories, but in the grand scheme of things it should be possible to compensate for a bad day by harnessing the guilt to have a super-good day the next. - and ignore the MFP Genie when he/she nags you about your low intake.
  • rhondals
    Options
    Nope you sure aren't the only one. I wanted to lose 10lbs just by thinking about losing it :). I am almost three weeks in and I too think of food and exercise differently now. At first, the calorie counting/exercise tracking/weight tracking seemed time consuming but it's worth the mere 10min/day I spend inputing my information. My problem was mainly that I ate whatever I wanted in outrageous portions. I was under the misconception that I would lose weight because I work out regularly. Dispite the occasional leap over the portion control ledge, I am making progress.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I too am guilty of this. This is what I tell myself when I am anxious to get to the finish line
    - Good things take time, doing it slow will help me feel healthier and happier (not starving) and will become a permanent lifestyle change
    - Progress is progress even if it is small. Celebrate every win! I think of how it will add up over the long run and I know it will be worth all my hard work
    - There is more to this than just weightloss. I focus on how great I feel after a work out, on how much I enjoy getting outside and being active, especially with my puppy :) I remind myself of all the side benefits of the changes I am making including less stress, sleeping better, reducing my asthma, more confidence, support and encouragement from friends and family, trying new healthy foods, overall new experiences, ... really the list is quite long.
    Losing weight might be my primary motivation but it is important to think about why you want to lose weight and all the other positive impacts this journey is going to give you!
  • Rosaclip
    Options
    I am so proud of you! I just started on this site today an dI need to lose more than 100 pounds. I'm excited about this journey but scared to death that I can't do it. You are encouraging.