Do you exercise during your period?

Options

Replies

• flannelbug
    flannelbug Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just some light walking, weight lifting, simple calisthenics- nothing crazy. I'm ~blessed~ with extreme cramps so I need to baby myself when it happens.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yep working out during your period helps relieve cramping.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have no motivation or energy the week before my period, but as soon as it comes my energy flies through the roof!!!! I always workout through my period because it helps me feel better.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    exercise feels really good when i'm on my period. I get so fatigued and sluggish, I can't even do housework. Exercising pumps me up and gets me moving! And it relieves my cramps! But listen to your body! If you need to take a few days off (usually my first two are killer) then go for it!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps my cramps. Sucks at first, but by the end I feel better.

Yep, this.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I find that I exercise more during my wife's period. Anything to get away from her!!!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I find that I exercise more during my wife's period. Anything to get away from her!!!

:laugh:

Yes, I exercise all the way through, it helps me with the mood swings and cramps. Plus Id rather shout and swear at Jillian Michaels than my husband.
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Definitely do. Makes me feel better by improving my mood and energy.

I also ride horses on the beach and only wear white. ;)

Lol!

Me too as far as the first line. The second line has options that just aren't for me...
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lol just got my period today, and no, not making it to the gym. I usually don't work out the 1st or 2nd day as I'm too fatigued and achy, but definitely get back to the gym by the 3rd day. Sometimes I will work out through my entire period, but I'm slightly anemic and get really light headed that time of the month so sometimes I need a break.
  • SHANNIGON
    Options
    "TOM" ...like that
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I can't take credit for this hilarious statement. It's something one of my newest buddies JUST posted. "do you think women sat down on the oregon trail because they got their period! no. stop making excuses. sorry if this offends anyone, there may be a few extreme circumstances but for the most part i see this as an excuse!"

Actually they probably stayed in the wagons on those days. They didn't have tampons or maxi pads back then.
    Are you serious? Ancient Greeks and Egyptians had tampons. Most women in the 1830 didn't use any sort of menstrual devices, but some women used homemade pads, and they became commercially available in the 1870s. Women didn't hide out during their period either. It was common to see blood on women's clothing. "The smell & sight of menstrual blood was probably much more common back then than it is today – however, women also probably menstruated much less frequently than we do today (because menarche started later in life & menopause came earlier; women spent a lot of time either breastfeeding or pregnant; and women were much more likely to be malnourished or sick)."
    http://myperiodblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/history-of-menstruation-part-1/

Sorry, but I don't consider rags to be the same as a Tampax or an Always with Wings. :tongue: :laugh:

ETA: When my grandmother was a girl, she said they used homemade pads and that they did rest when on their period because it was considered sinful to work during TOM. That's what my grandma said. She was about two generations after the wagon train days.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Always!!

I used to skip the that week, till it occured to me that I was letting someting really stupid take control of my body for 5 or so days EVERY month. It seemed more and more like a lame excuse (to be lazy and eat chocolate) the more I thought about it.....
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I only have a 2 day period, so yeah I workout during it.

Luckily my body is really regular (never used to be) but on the night before I'm due I take two ibuprofen as it always comes in the night and as long as I take painkillers before the cramps hit I am not bothered by them for the rest of the time.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I might take a day or two off (I take 1 or 2 days off a week anyway) if I get particularly bad cramps as it makes them worse (whoever said exercises eases cramps had obviously never had a period) but usually I just carry on as normal. It varies from person to person, I'm not gonna have a go at someone if they feel like they can't workout.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I can't take credit for this hilarious statement. It's something one of my newest buddies JUST posted. "do you think women sat down on the oregon trail because they got their period! no. stop making excuses. sorry if this offends anyone, there may be a few extreme circumstances but for the most part i see this as an excuse!"

Yes, but... for many women periods are massively debilitating. I come from a long line of irregular, messy, LONG period-having women and absolutely suffered through high school until I was old enough to go on the Pill. I'd have to skip two days of school a month, at least, and often had to have iron infusions during because I bled SO much. And there was nothing wrong with me, just - unlucky.

And for those who's periods trigger migraines, light sensitivity, indigestion, headaches, etc.... no, don't exercise. treat it as you would any other illness.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes.

As others have already said, the week prior is not so good. If I run, I am very lethargic and meh!

But during -particularly on that first day - I may not want to run/workout, but after about five minutes the pains have gone totally - and the effects last for a while afterwards too. So it is worth the effort.
  • lisha7997
    lisha7997 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    All except the heaviest day. I have severe cramps (both back cramps and regular cramps) and I suffer from headaches sometimes migraines during the heaviest day so I hardly get out of bed on that day. oh and I also get nauseous (what a joy it is to be me).
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't. I find the exercise makes me less crampy and rageful. Plus the activity curbs my wont to stuff my face.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do, but I tend to retain weight for the week before and the week of regardless.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I take the first day off if I have to, and go easy the following days. Some months it feels like I've been hit by a train, some months I don't even notice.

Women on the oregon trail weren't "exercising". They were attempting to survive the journey without dying of cholera or exposure, and without losing too many of their children. It's a little difficult to see the same urgency in a couple workouts... or anything in modern western life, really. Sure, in aggregate, our workouts will likely extend our lives and enhance our quality of life, but the urgency just isn't there.