TEENAGERS

Options

Replies

• Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When you realize he could be cutting himself, bulimic, having sex without condoms, attempting suicide and drinking and sneaking out of the house at night..... you will find the mess he leaves everywhere....no big deal !

Trust me I know... it could be a lot worse :)

True dat!!!
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    LOL, sorry, someone was faster than me.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    BOYS- we have to remind them to pick up everything and change their clothes and flush the tilet- daily- until they leave the house, get married, and heir wife takes over....LOL

My 3 boys are 16, 17, 19- and they are carbon copies of The Absent Minded Professor.

the most impprovement is when I have them do Push Ups when they forget to put things away.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    but still I am a clean freak and messes stress me out beyond belief...

He's not cleaning because 1. you nag him and 2. it bothers the hell out of you to be around messes. Teenage rebellion. From my experience, nothing makes a person NOT want to do something than getting nagged over it.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    change the WiFi password daily. New password given out once the day's tasks are complete.

I saw this on pinterest and was going to suggest it too. I think it is a great idea.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Some boys won't start cleaning up after themselves until they own their own homes and until then, you won't want to visit their apartments.

sigh...and some will never....lol my sisiters husband....
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    When you realize he could be cutting himself, bulimic, having sex without condoms, attempting suicide and drinking and sneaking out of the house at night..... you will find the mess he leaves everywhere....no big deal !

Trust me I know... it could be a lot worse :)

Oh I am sure it could... but still I am a clean freak and messes stress me out beyond belief...

It can always be worse, but you might try this: stay calm and say"When you've cleaned up X then we'll have dinner... or the Internet will be open" (or whatever you decide).... ala Barbara Coloroso.

Gotta love teenagers....hormonally impaired beings that they are. Good luck!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ha! When you figure it out, let me know!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I am in your boat. My 19 year old has the smelliest room ever and I know I taught him better. My best advice. take a step back and pick your battles. Mine in laundry and common space in the house. I let the clutter in the room go. I also give him a chance to talk when we argue about the chores. Even if what I say goes, he at least said his peace. Best of luck to you.
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My son responds to losing the internet. He didn't care when we took away the phone or the xbox but the internet - that motivates him. You just need to find what motivates your son.

This and cell phones are what motivate my 3 teenagers. Oh and the car keys on my girls' LOL> I have 3 of them that I am dealing with!!! 13 (boy), 15 and 17 (girls') All my kids have chores to do. They do their own laundry, clean their rooms, and take out trash and clean up the kitchen after dinner.
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Im so there with my teenager as well. He is 14 and his most recent complaint is "Why can't I say cuss words" and I tell him, when you are 18 and move out you can do whatever the heck you want. This was after I busted him for using the *F* word on facebook, in private messages of course.
    We have tried taking away every privledge known to man but nothing seems to phase him.
    Sometimes I really feel at a loss as to what Im doing with that child.

I also have an almost 12 year old diva drama queen in training. Oy Vey!!!

Can someone hand me the vodka and valium??? :drinker:
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Strip him of all technology and fun (games, phone, computer) and take his door off the hinges... Oh man, my daughter is gonna hate me ;)
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    OH. MY. GOODNESS. believe me, it's no better with girls... except include makeup smears, glitter, nail polish spills, & massive amounts of laundry to the mess... & trust me, mine has been disciplined- some things never get through their heads! temporarily, maybe but they sloooowly revert back to some things.
    HANG IN THERE. that's all we can do!

YEP! My youngest daughter and I live in a house with only ONE bathroom and no counter space! Talk about messy!

I can only tell you you'll live. Mine know to clean up after themselves, yet don't. I lecture each and every day how I don't like cleaning up after her and I still do most every day. Today on the other hand wasn't so bad.... I bribed her to clean the kitchen for me ;)
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    wifikids615.jpeg

Ohhhh I totally need to do this :o)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    All I can say is good luck. Nothing I did made a dent in emo boy's attitude for two years. Then he became Mr. I'm A Man and it was all downhill until he graduated. He's now out of the house on his own and realizing it ain't all sunshine and rainbows, lol. Mama loves her boy, but damn kid worked a nerve for years.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am going crazy.. He is almost 15 and everywhere he walks leaves a mess behind him... I have ALWAYS gotten on his case and gave him chores and payed allowance and made him clean up so it is not something new but it is driving me nuts and I am under enough stress... What can I do to make him at least clean up after himself.....
    I have 5 children 14-4 years.
    I know when they are younger, it's all about constant reminders and eventually they get mature enough that they do those expected things on their own.
    At age 15, he should definitely be there already, so I can see why you are frustrated.
    If it were me.....
    this is what I would do.
    First of all, our family's operative definition of Responsibility=knowing and doing what is expected of you.
    Get clear with him on what are those responsibilities.
    How is he spending his time?
    What is his attitude?
    An excellent attitude must accompany him. The atmosphere of your home is very important.
    Work with him on the basics of a schedule that allows him to get things done, while having time for fun things.
    It's all about time management, and you may need to review that skill with him
    Let him know it is for his success and happiness, and is a requirement in your home.
    Cut out any privileges until he has demonstrated himself reliably.

A side note, it may be that he is the type of personality that functions very well even with everything a physical mess.....like he has the ability to organize things mentally and is not thrown off when there's chaos.
    Let him know that you really need him to help you keep things neat and tidy so that you don't feel frustrated/overwhelmed or whatever emotion:)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Im so there with my teenager as well. He is 14 and his most recent complaint is "Why can't I say cuss words" and I tell him, when you are 18 and move out you can do whatever the heck you want. This was after I busted him for using the *F* word on facebook, in private messages of course.
    We have tried taking away every privledge known to man but nothing seems to phase him.
    Sometimes I really feel at a loss as to what Im doing with that child.

I also have an almost 12 year old diva drama queen in training. Oy Vey!!!

Can someone hand me the vodka and valium??? :drinker:

my daughter is 12 as well and the same ... what the heck.. she lives with their dad though and I have our son.. we were blessed with two HUGE hand fulls for kids... LOL
  • shezzamess
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone on here, you just have to find what works for you and your son. I have a 17 year old son who seems to think I was put on this earth to pick up after him. I simply ask him to come back into the kitchen/living room which ever room his stuff is laying around in, ask him to get put his stuff up. I check back after a while and if it isnt done to my satisfaction, I call him back to the same room and ask him what he forgot to do...I don't point out what he forgot, I wait him out until he figures it out. I like to think I am helping him think things through or learn problem solving skills. At first it seemed to take forever for him to figure it out! But he is gradually getting there. I have noticed that he is picking up after himself a lot better!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Oh I am sure it could... but still I am a clean freak and messes stress me out beyond belief...
    [/quote]

How did you cope when he was a toddler?

I've got a 28 month old who does NOTHING but make a mess that I constantly clean up & I'm a clean freak too so yeah, stresses me out but that's all part of having kids that I just have to deal with :frown:

Ship him off to the navy or something :laugh:
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gas powered leaf blower? If you do, bring it in the house, start it up and blow all of his mess into his room or out the door to the street.

That might at least get his attention.