Does anyone run on their toes?

Options
124»

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

What sort of distances are you running? I understand teh technique is good for all distances but the shoes are not a good idea for anything over 10K

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying you can't run in minimum shoes or barefoot for over 10k? I think that the 18 miles I did completely barefoot two weeks ago without pain or blisters or losing any skin would start to prove that wrong. A lot of people have completed marathons barefoot and in minimum shoes. The 1960 Olympic marathon was won by a barefoot runner. (somewhat proving barefoot running is not a new fad). I know of at least one person who has run 100 miles barefoot.

I would never say "Can't" but the consensus of advice I have read is that whilst barefoot running (minimalist shoes or actual barefoot) is great for improving technique, there is still a lot to be said for the extra cushioning of 'regular' trainers over longer distances in preventing injury.

This advice could well be aimed at long distance runners who want to get into bare foot running - I know you are meant to build up distance very slowly so you get used to the technique and prevent injury this way.... i.e. Just because you can run 26 miles in regular trainers, don't assume that you can run a marathon in minimalist if you only did 5K in practice.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I always love this discussion. It invariably picks up the ferver of a religious or political debate.

And I hope nobody is really running on their "toes" for any distance beyond a sprint. Forefoot, ball of foot yes. Toes, no. I have this vision of new runners reading these threads going out and trying to run with tiptoes touching the ground first and the heel never getting within an inches of the ground. (It's not just semantics given the number of novices).

Beyond that, we're all an experiment of one. Foot should land softly near under the center of gravity. Regardless if mid-foot, forefoot or heel touch first it still should be a soft landing that doesn't overstride in front of you. If you're in shoes with a large heel to toe drop you may well accomplish that with the heel touching first, or perhaps midfoot. A flatter shoe with the same basic landing will have forefoot making initial contact. Something like Vibrams and forefoot will be the initial contact point.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I always love this discussion. It invariably picks up the ferver of a religious or political debate.

And I hope nobody is really running on their "toes" for any distance beyond a sprint. Forefoot, ball of foot yes. Toes, no. I have this vision of new runners reading these threads going out and trying to run with tiptoes touching the ground first and the heel never getting within an inches of the ground. (It's not just semantics given the number of novices).

Beyond that, we're all an experiment of one. Foot should land softly near under the center of gravity. Regardless if mid-foot, forefoot or heel touch first it still should be a soft landing that doesn't overstride in front of you. If you're in shoes with a large heel to toe drop you may well accomplish that with the heel touching first, or perhaps midfoot. A flatter shoe with the same basic landing will have forefoot making initial contact. Something like Vibrams and forefoot will be the initial contact point.

Ah, so true re religious fervor. As a barefooter, I forget that with shoes it is tough not to land on your heel or entire foot. The true important part is not letting your feet get ahead of you. You should land with your foot under you. What contacts the ground first is less important.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    That isn't good for your skeleton in the long run. You are meant to strike with your heel first.

Heel striking is terrible for your body! Run how you would with no shoes on at all, and you'll automatically land midfoot. That puts the least shock and stress on your legs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you're not running in these, you should be. http://www.newbalance.com//NB-Minimus/minimus,default,pg.html

also lifting. they're awesome for lifting.

and impressing the ladies.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Here I am thinking me prancing around like a deer on the balls of my feet is a bad thing and trying to retrain myself to hit with my heel. Running on my toes is all I have ever done for 31 years now. I have been thinking about starting to run this is filled with info for me! Thanks for asking this OP!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I used to jog on my toes when I was in high school. I'd jog a mile a day on a treadmill and never noticed any problems except my shins were tender to the touch. When I picked running back up a couple years later, I ran with some friends and they were running 2 miles each time. After 2 miles my shins were in so much pain I had to ice them each time after a jog. After talking to some friends, they suggested hitting with my heel first instead. After doing that for a couple jogs, I noticed my knees started to hurt instead of my shins. After watching some videos on proper form, I've adopted the "mid foot" form and have had no problems since. Sometimes it just takes awhile to find the right form, you'll get there. :)