Mrena weight gain??

Options
I had a Mirena IUD put in 4 months ago and have gained 13 pounds! I have kind of slacked off but I haven't been sitting around eating sticks of butter so that kind of weight gain seemed ridiculous. I weigh more now than I ever have, except when I was pregnant. :(
I spoke to a nurse at the doctors office and she said it wasn't that common but it does happen. She told me to wait 4 more weeks and if my weight doesn't plateau then I need to go ahead and come in to speak to the doctor and possibly have it removed.
Has anyone else had this experience? If I have to get it removed, how quickly do the hormones leave your system so I may be able to actually see some progress?
This is very frustrating. I am glad to know that it's not just me but it really would have been nice to know this before it was put in.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena put in at the beginning of September, when I was brand new to this website. I have lost 13lbs in the last month.

I'd say if you aren't counting your calories/following any type of plan (slacking off), then it would explain the gain more than the IUD would.
    The hormones don't go into your blood stream, they are localized so it does what it needs to do at the spot it needs to be done. I was told that if I wanted to have it removed to have a child, my cycles would be "normal" pretty much immediately.

The doctor said that 6 months is the general 'wait-it-out' time.
    If I were you, I'd stick whole-heartedly to whatever plan you are using for the next month or 2, and see where you're at then.

Have it removed when you can, if you feel that it's hindering your success. IUD's aren't for everyone. I know for the money that it cost, I'll be keeping it in for a while lol
  • MrsJJUt
    MrsJJUt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I gained weight right after mine was put in too. But after a few months it seemed to settle down and it came back off. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gained weight. I don't believe for a minute that the progesterone is "local".

I had mine removed. Best decision I ever made.

Having one inserted was one of the worst decisions.
  • Itsnic
    Itsnic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    you are right about that! that sucker was expensive!
    When I say slacking off, i don't mean over eating ect...I just haven't been as diligent as I was about working out. I have still been watching my calories, usually I am right around 1500-1600 as opposed to the 1200-1400 I was sticking to. Instead of working out 4 times a week I have been going like once a week and walking with my dog. So, I haven't totally let everything go, I just haven't been doing what I was before. At that rate, I can understand bouncing back a couple pounds but 13??
    I am definitely going to wait the 4 weeks like the nurse said and see what happens. I would hate to have to get it out after I just spent all that money to get it in. After looking around on the internet it sounds like many, many people have had that problem but it is hard to figure out whats true and what's not.
  • Itsnic
    Itsnic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @ Sabine, did you find it was easier to lose the weight after it was removed?
    I never had problems with my pills, other than forgetting to take them :0 so I am surprised that the hormones in this can have so much of an effect but I have also noticed that I am MUCH, MUCH moodier than usual as well.
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for 2 years and it didn't make me gain weight at all. I loved it!
  • lilsweetwright
    lilsweetwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The mirena really messed me up. I lost the following two pregnancies a year after I had it removed. I understand it works great for others, and I am sure it all depends on our individual initial hormone balance. It just wasn't helpful to me. I couldn't lose weight along with other health problems. Birth Control and I don't get along
  • ash5205
    ash5205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I gained 24 lbs in a year after having Mirena inserted. I had it taken out a month ago, and have lost 8 lbs so far. I had tried to lose weight while on Mirena and instead I just seemed to pack it on regardless of my eating habits and activity level. I also had horrible acne that was worse than anything I dealt with during junior and high school. My face has been clear since having it removed as well. I feel less bloated. I really just feel free from side effects since having it removed.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have had Mrena for about 4 years now and love it. It is the only birth control I have used (and I've tried a lot) that I haven't noticed any side effects besides lighter and shorter periods. I spot for a day and that's about it.
    I haven't had any kids yet, so I HURT like the ****ens to get put in, but I love it.
    Every body is different though.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I have had Mrena for about 4 years now and love it. It is the only birth control I have used (and I've tried a lot) that I haven't noticed any side effects besides lighter and shorter periods. I spot for a day and that's about it.
    I haven't had any kids yet, so I HURT like the ****ens to get put in, but I love it.
    Every body is different though.

I had 2 large kids (both almost 10lbs), and the insertion was NOT nice!!

I am the same as you with the birth control. I don't have good experience with most!! It's been a month with Mirena, and the only side effects that I'm feeling is random cramping, a little spotting here and there, and I'm kinda moody.. lol
    Liking it so far!! How often will you have yours replaced?
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 of them so far. The one I had before pregnancy I did not gain weight, I also only gained 15 lbs during pregnancy, and one after and I did not gain weight from either. It is low dose of hormones, lower than the pill. I contribute the 40 lbs i gained to my own fault after getting divorced and drinking/eating too much, etc. I have since lost the weight fine with diet & exercise and still have my IUD and will be getting another one next year to replace this one.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Was there a reason you chose Mirena? If it was just that you wanted an IUD you could have gotten the Paraguard (Copper-T) it doesn't have any hormones. I've had mine about 6-7 years now. I avoid BC hormones at all cost, too many side effects.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You said yourself you changed your habits/slacked off. That's a lot more likely to cause weight gain than birth control.
  • suegmune
    Options
    I have had it for almost two years now and have lost over 30 lbs. WHen I had depo, I gained 30 lbs in less than 6 months.

So, Mirena has been great thus far. Oh, and no periods. Don't hate. LOL.

Getting it put in was fine too. But, then again, I've had 3 spinals (from 3 c-sections) and a bacterial infection that landed me in the hospital for 2 weeks when my baby was a week old. So. Maybe I'm not a good judge. :)
  • myriahj84
    Options
    I had Mirena two years ago and I noticed weight gain. They told me it wasn't because of the Mirena but I hardly ever gain weight. I had gained about 20 pounds in 6 months! When I took it out the weight started coming off. Everyone is different so listen to your body and take it out if it is making you feel funny.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have it, and have lost weight. I heard it causes water retention and water weight. Not fat gain. Check your thyroid levels, and insulin levels (Possible insulin resistance). That can cause weight to spike, FAST.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear this as I was considering getting this will stay where I am!!
  • determined_01
    Options
    I didn't gain weight at all and joined MFP about 2 months later and have had no problem losing.
  • wonderish
    wonderish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've had the merina for almost 2 years now, and besides the cramps and the first 3 months, I have loved it! I dont know if i've gained weight because of it or not - I just gained.

I know when I first started this journey I was trying to blame everything else but my eating habits on why I was gaining... Now I just know it's me whos reponsible and if I dont change that, then Im just going to be fat.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena for 12 months, no weight gain, I have constantly lost weight eating healthy with exercise. It did take a few months to regulate, but now I absolutely love it .