Mrena weight gain??

Options

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I had mine done about two months ago. The first month I saw the scale go up and up with little change to my diet and exercise. But things have started to level out, I feel better and the scale is going back down.

I should be honest and say I'm not sure honestly though if it was the Mirena, or if I was slacking more than I thought I was b/c it made me feel so bad those first few weeks. No energy, cramping, pain in my back constantly. Now I feel good, it just takes some time for the body to adjust.
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I didnt get mirena. I was on DEPO for two years gained 60lbs, was depressed feeling all the time, had night sweats...all kinds of stuff. so If you switch to somehting DO NOT Switch to Depo shot.
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for two years now and I absolutely love it!!!!!! Its the only birth control that I've tried that hasn't made me sick. I rarely have a period, its pretty much completely stopped and its amazing! The only thing that ever scares me is i actually know 5 people that have still gotten pregnant while having a mirena IUD, so sometimes i get paranoid that I could possibly be pregnant.. but never am! I have gained weight but I honestly think that is completely my own fault because I know my eating habbits have taken a turn for the worst and I'm more sedetary then I used to be (until now since I'm trying to do something about it). I also think the weight I have gained could be from my hypothyroidism as well. But all in all I absolutely love the mirena and havn't had absolutely any problems! It's ironic that this was posted because a friend of mine actually just told me TODAY that she heard that the mirena IUD has been recalled so I'm going to be calling my doc to see whats up! I hope that's not true becaue I love the darn thing and I just can't think of any other birth control I'd feel comfortable switching too! The pill made me sick and get ovarian cyst and I have heard terrible things about the shot :/ ugh why can't guys deal with this crap! Hopefully its not recalled! Has anybody else heard that???
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for 2 years and it didn't make me gain weight at all. I loved it!

I had mine for 10 (2); I did not gain because of it--I gained because of my unhhealthy eating habits!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had it years ago for about 9 months.. I had it removed due to bleeding the entire time it was in. I gained like 5lbs the forst month then lost it

Whatever you do- DO NOT GET THE NUVARING if you have the mirana removed. That ring is the devil :indifferent:
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have had Mirena since February and have lost 65 lbs since then. I did ALOT of research on it before having it done just for this very reason right there! And also, because the reason I am overweight now is because of birth control pills!! Good luck, hopefully you will start losing quickly after you have it removed. :-)
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been on Mirena for about 3 1/2 years. It hurt like hell at first, but I was never on birth control before, so I was told to expect some cramping.. otherwise, I haven't had many side effects.. every so often I get really bad cramps, but I pop an advil and once it kicks in, they are gone.. I did gain weight after I had the mirena put in, but it could have been for a number of reasons.. just after I went on birth control, my b/f for a year and a half broke up with me, so I was upset, my daughter just turned 1, her father and I were back and forth to court every 3-6 months (no I'm not exaggerating) and I just got lazy and my eating habbits sucked.. so I can't say the weight gain is from mirena, but I have lost 10lbs so far since being on mfp (almost 2 months) so just give it some time and let your body adjust and maybe adjust your calories or exercise..

Good Luck! :)
  • MisKaren1
    MisKaren1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I gained weight. I don't believe for a minute that the progesterone is "local".

I had mine removed. Best decision I ever made.

Having one inserted was one of the worst decisions.

This. I was actually supposed to have the Paraguard inserted, but my Dr pushed me into Mirena with horror stories about bleeding while I was already IN THE STIRRUPS. Grrr.

Mirena altered my whole body. I'm sure it's great for some, but like any drug our bodies all respond differently.
    With the Mirena in, I actually thought I was going insane. Horrible mood swings, thoughts of hurting people. Feeling nauseous, headaches. I seem to react horribly to BC hormones in general, but this was the worst.

The weight gain was there, but hard to say because I felt so awful and "not myself" that I didn't even try to lose any until after I had it removed.

I've lost 25 pounds since having it removed in May and the "crazy mom" thoughts are gone too. Never doing another hormone BC again. :)
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 4 years. Never gained on it or had any side effects...I actually lost 100 lbs on it. Love it! Done having kids so was not worried about conceiving after it is removed...haven't had a period in over 3 years!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You said yourself you changed your habits/slacked off. That's a lot more likely to cause weight gain than birth control.

This. The only thing that causes weigh gain is increased calories and decreased activity. Not an IUD.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30lbs since having mine inserted. I cramped and bled for an entire month afterward and had the worst mood swings, but it was a LOT better than the FIVE different birth control pills I had tried before.

I do still get mood swings monthly, but I attribute that to regular mood changes at the time of my period. Whenever that is. Because I don't have a period with my Mirena, I guess it's around when I start feeling like a *****? XD

I like it because I don't even have to think about it. And all other forms of birth control had me manic.
  • purpleroses1021
    purpleroses1021 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So you're eating a little more, and working out less but yes PLEASE blame the IUD first! 13 pounds is a lot but you combine possible water weight, with your slacking off, with other possible factors and it sounds like you just need to get back on the wagon before assuming its the IUD.

BTW: I've had it for more than 5 years (on my second one) I gained the weight by overeating, once I stopped overeating I've lost over 100 pound while still having the Mirena in place.
  • Morticia_Mama
    Morticia_Mama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've gained 10 pounds in 4 months since getting the Mirena IUD. I've actually been eating less.. not sure if they are related or not, but I tend to have issues with bc hormones anyway. I went with the Mirena because I have Endometriosis and apparently the Mirena is supposed to help with the pain caused by it, as well as give you lighter periods. The Copper, although it has no hormones, may have caused me even more pain symptoms if I went with it. My doctor convinced me this was the best decision until I decided whether or not I wanted another baby or not. I do SO much better weight-wise, mentally, etc. when I am not on any bc. Everyone is different though!
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You said yourself you changed your habits/slacked off. That's a lot more likely to cause weight gain than birth control.

This. The only thing that causes weigh gain is increased calories and decreased activity. Not an IUD.

Slacking off alittle is probaly what has contributed to her weight gain and not the IUD but there are other various reasons other than increased calories and decreased activity that people can gain weight.. hormone imbalances, thyroid diseases, stress, and other various diseases.. although most of the time increased calories and decreased activity is the main culprit.. I'm in no way trying to argue i just know first hand because I have had hypothyroidism which makes your metabilism slow and put on same weight and makes it harder when your trying to loseweight as well despite your best efforts and i've also heard one of the main side effects from the depo shot is weight gain
    If you don't agree than I hope we can agree to disagree because I in now way want to start an arguement on a forum.. It seems like that happens on them quite a bit of them :(...I'm just stating what i percieve from the evidence I've been exposed too..

Goodluck to everyone
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second mirena, and I haven't gained any weight that wasn't my own fault. I love it and wouldn't choose anything else. In fact, I'll probably be using one for another 30 years. LOL

Insertion hurt like a b!tch!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Slacking off alittle is probaly what has contributed to her weight gain and not the IUD but there are other various reasons other than increased calories and decreased activity that people can gain weight.. hormone imbalances, thyroid diseases, stress, and other various diseases.. thought most the time increased calories and decreased activity is the main culprit.. I'm in no way trying to argue i just know first hand because I have had hypothyroidism which makes your metabilism slow and put on same weight and makes it harder when your trying to lose as well despite best efforst and i've also heard one of the main side effects from the depo shot is weight gain
    If you don't agree than I hope we can agree to disagree because I in now way want to start an arguement on a forum.. It seems like that happens on quite a bit of them :(...I'm just stating what i percieve from the evidence I've been exposed too..

Goodluck to everyone

A pound consists of around 3500 calories. So unless an IUD or pill containes that many calories, it does NOT cause weight gain.

However, those things can cause cravings, increased appetite or a change in metabolism. But it still comes down to how many calories are burned or consumed.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I gained weight. I don't believe for a minute that the progesterone is "local".

I had mine removed. Best decision I ever made.

Having one inserted was one of the worst decisions.

^this .
    And having it removed was f-ing painful, I nearly fainted afterward
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    my mirena has been in over 4 years now. i didn't notice any weight gain at all. still haven't.

the insertion was... uncomfortable. the dilation process was not what i wanted to feel four months after having induced labor. I didn't actually feel any insertion or using the sound for depth or anything. I didn't notice anything until my gyno said he was finished and was snipping back the strings. He told me to stay put for about ten minutes or so until the aches from the dilation went away and when and ONLY when I didn't feel dizzy could I get up and leave. I full plan to get another one placed next September when its time runs out.

i don't know why so many people are saying it's expensive? mine was only the cost of my copay, so I paid my $20 copay and then $20 for the Mirena.... is it not the same in other states?
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just think every woman is different. Different strokes for different folks. I got Mirena put in about 3 weeks ago. I LOVE it, so far. And I have lost 4 pounds since then, exercising and eating better than before. That 4 lbs will go up exponentially, eventually. Patience and time.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's got low levels of progesterone in it, which can cause temporary water retention.
    Should only last 4-6 weeks, however if you keep gaining and have not lost the water weight after 2-3 months I would go to your health practitioner and talk about different options if you so desire :)

Good Luck!