News Anchor Stands up to Weight Bullying

Options
Watch the vid here: http://bit.ly/SmONYR

Wow, this was amazing! I was just blogging about how many people think because we're overweight that we are an open target to fat-shame or even send candy-coated "constructive criticism" our way.

I think this is also a controversial topic because many would think the man did nothing wrong.

If obesity is a choice vs an illness, etc, I don't see people shaming smokers? Of course there are anti-smoking ads, but I have never seen someone come up and publicly shame someone for smoking as easily as people comment about weight, make fun of overweight people, criticize, etc.

Thought this would be a good discussion topic!

Replies

• roxmysoxoffkys
    Options
    WOW! Thank you for posting this. That was really amazing and I think that it's great that something was said about this kind of bullying and something was done. Especially with it being anti-bullying month. The man who wrote that letter said that she needed to be an "suitable example" for the community. She is way more than that. She's inspiring. Very cool!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I saw that this morning on the news. I thought she handled it very well!
  • lljksilk
    Options
    The person who wrote the email seemed respectful and concerned. If they had been talking about smoking the point would have been the same.

It isn't an "attack" or "bullying" to show concern for someone. He didn't say "Hey fatass!" or anything like that. He used very clinical terms even used by the FDA. She is right though - she's got very thick skin - but not metaphorically.

I look in the mirror when I'm lifting weights and call myself a fatass if I think about giving up before finishing my planned sets.

A large majority of my region of the country is obese. I wish more people would point it out.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The person who wrote the email seemed respectful and concerned. If they had been talking about smoking the point would have been the same.

It isn't an "attack" or "bullying" to show concern for someone. He didn't say "Hey fatass!" or anything like that. He used very clinical terms even used by the FDA. She is right though - she's got very thick skin - but not metaphorically.

I look in the mirror when I'm lifting weights and call myself a fatass if I think about giving up before finishing my planned sets.

A large majority of my region of the country is obese. I wish more people would point it out.

Yes, he was very polite when he wrote in to attack a successful working mother of three for not meeting his personal beauty standards. And yes, this is about beauty and not about health. It almost always is. In fact, if that woman went home and smoked a pack a day, she'd probably be a lot thinner. If she went home and starved herself, she'd probably be thinner too. However, neither of those things would make her healthier. You have no idea what the state of her health is, and neither did the jerk that wrote to her. His only concern was concern that a women might not be spending every moment of every day worried about whether she met his standards of attractiveness.

If you want to call yourself a "fatass" go right ahead. Maybe that is motivating for you. However, there is a difference in what you call yourself and what you call someone else. Surely you know that.

As for wishing more people would point out that other people are fat -- what world do you live in? As a somewhat overweight teenager who became an obese adult I can tell you that I am reminded of my weight at least ten times a day.

As for insulting and shaming people being the way in which to encourage them to lose weight, I can tell you that for me, it has been exactly the opposite. I was a few pounds overweight in high school, but was bullied so incessantly about it that I came to believe that I was morbidly obese and that nothing that I did would matter. So I ended up becoming much, much fatter. Seriously, society is doing just fine on the shaming fat people front. Does it look like that tactic is working?
  • lljksilk
    Options
    Unfortunately, unhealthy choices manifest as physical appearance. Including her double-chin, thick waist, etc.

She may be a successful working mother of three - but she should focus on being there for her kids for as long as possible by improving her lifestyle. Hell - I bug my mom to exercise all the time, and I bug the rest of my family who eats fried food 90% of the time when it would be just as easy to grill.

I'm not suggesting she starve herself, and I'm not suggesting she go down to a size 0. But if she's obese according to her BMI, (as she says in the video) she is at greater risk for a majority of health problems which are preventable. She doesn't have to starve herself, but dropping the pint of Ben & Jerrys and eating a salad instead of a bucket of KFC for her lunch might do wonders toward improving her overall state of affairs.

I guess the overall point is that her appearance is her choice in a lot of ways - but her health is key and if she still looked the same after getting into a normal weight range I'd say more power to her. But if she's going to be a public figure and whine that pointing out her obesity is akin to pointing out the color of her skin or sexual orientation she's going off the wall worse than the guy who emailed her.

As for your point here: "Does it look like that tactic is working? "

Counterpoint: Look at what site you are on after all of that treatment in your youth.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Anyone ever send a similar email to any one of dozens of obese college and pro football coaches?
  • maricash
    Options
    Unfortunately, unhealthy choices manifest as physical appearance. Including her double-chin, thick waist, etc.

Unhealthy choices can manifest themselves in physical appearance. However, many unhealthy choices don't manifest themselves physically or they manifest themselves as society's desired traits -- i.e. many people treat their bodies terribly and are thin. Many people are thin because of the terrible way they treat their bodies. Look at all the thin people who post on here about their starvation tactics, fad diets, or diet drugs. People will do anything to be thin, whether it's healthy or not.
    She may be a successful working mother of three - but she should focus on being there for her kids for as long as possible by improving her lifestyle. Hell - I bug my mom to exercise all the time, and I bug the rest of my family who eats fried food 90% of the time when it would be just as easy to grill.

How is it that you know so much about her lifestyle? You are making a lot of assumptions based on ONE piece of information. There is a difference between suggesting lifestyle changes to someone who's lifestyle you know something about and making judgments about a complete stranger about whom you know nothing.
    I'm not suggesting she starve herself, and I'm not suggesting she go down to a size 0. But if she's obese according to her BMI, (as she says in the video) she is at greater risk for a majority of health problems which are preventable. She doesn't have to starve herself, but dropping the pint of Ben & Jerrys and eating a salad instead of a bucket of KFC for her lunch might do wonders toward improving her overall state of affairs.

Did you see her eating a bucket of KFC for lunch? Did you see here eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's? Do you know the last time she ate a salad? Again, how do you know this? I am obese by BMI standards and I haven't eaten fast food in years. Nor do I like ice cream. I also exercise regularly and walk everywhere. But you would look at me and judge me in the same, false, way that you are judging this woman.
    I guess the overall point is that her appearance is her choice in a lot of ways - but her health is key and if she still looked the same after getting into a normal weight range I'd say more power to her. But if she's going to be a public figure and whine that pointing out her obesity is akin to pointing out the color of her skin or sexual orientation she's going off the wall worse than the guy who emailed her.

The whole "I am concerned for your health" is the biggest BS I've ever heard. I would prefer it if people would stick with "You are fat and I find that unattractive and therefore I am going to harass you about it" than have it covered in this veneer of "concern." Do you not notice how many young, thin, girls post on here asking about how they can starve themselves to be "healthy", stating that they are eating 800 calories a day because they need to be "healthy". Healthy is a word that has almost lost all meaning in the weight context. It has become a euphemism for thin just as unhealthy has become a euphemism for fat. Is this guy going to write to the thin anchors at that station to ask about their daily habits? Or is he just going to assume that anyone who is thin arrived that way by healthy habits?
    As for your point here: "Does it look like that tactic is working? "

Counterpoint: Look at what site you are on after all of that treatment in your youth.

Wow. You completely missed my point with that. I am not on this site because judgmental jerks shamed me into wanting to lose weight. Quite the opposite. It is because I feel good about myself *despite* hateful ignorant jerks who think I eat a bucket of KFC every day that I am here. I look back at pictures of myself in high school and see a beautiful young girl who thought she was disgusting and worthless because she was a few pounds overweight and I wish I could go back and tell her different. Or that she had had a role model like that t.v. anchor -- someone to show her that she didn't have to be brought down by the ignorant bullies of the world, whether their hatred is manifest as straight up attacks or as "concern" for her "health."
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Is sooooooo tired of hearing about this.... she just can't let it go and is becoming famous because of it. BULLYING MY *kitten* !!
    I just heard that she runs 3x a week .......suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure she does BAHAHAHAHAHA
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Blech.

That was disappointing. Nothing stated in the email was false or cruel or bullying. The dude who wrote it sure is a moron.....but morons say stupid things all the time. I'm really disappointed this turned into some issue it isn't and this woman is being praised. She went off way more than the guy who wrote the email did. She was the bully here, actually.....
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I can understand both sides of the argument. I do think it's an interesting point that it seems unlikely an e-mail like that would ever go out to an obese football coach, etc. It also seems more acceptable for kids to look up to actresses and models who are clearly severely underweight. And then there's people like Paris Hilton...I remember when she was in jail a lot of parents were upset because she was a role model for their kids. Now THAT scares me.

And as someone you used to smoke, ohhhhh we get shamed...a lot...in person, online, in every kind of way. I used to say "I'm paying for a mistake I made 10 years ago. Then, it was a choice. Now it's an addiction I'm fighting."
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Blech.

That was disappointing. Nothing stated in the email was false or cruel or bullying. The dude who wrote it sure is a moron.....but morons say stupid things all the time. I'm really disappointed this turned into some issue it isn't and this woman is being praised. She went off way more than the guy who wrote the email did. She was the bully here, actually.....

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt this way. His letter was idiotic, but at the same time I feel her reaction was way over the top. I don't feel the word 'bully' fits the guy. A bully (to me) is someone who intimidates to get what they want.

I can understand why she would be defensive - I would too! But at the same time, I hope after she's done being mad, she'll take a good long look at how she does/does not look after her body. Like me, her weight puts her at risk for diabetes and heart disease, among other things.

It would be great if she would turn this around and take something positive out of it. It would be great if she decided she was going to make her body a priority and lose the weight. It would be very inspiring to alot of people out there.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The guy had no right to send her the email he did. As she mentioned he doesn't know her so he has no way of knowing all the reasons behind her current weight situation. As she points out attacks like this are all to common these days especially to young adults and children who have not yet built the self esteem to weather such negative feedback. I think if you listen to her whole message you will see that she is supporting self-acceptance and helping people weather negativity whether its weight, sexuality or handicap.

I am sad that she didn't take the opportunity to also embrace Lady Gaga's Body Revolution.

from Yahoo: Lady G has come under much criticism lately concerning her weight, prompting her to launch her 'body revolution' last week. She kicked off the revolution by posting pictures of herself in her underwear and calling for her followers to join her in celebrating their shape whatever it is. Gaga wrote: "Bulimia and anorexia since I was 15. But today I join the BODY REVOLUTION. To inspire Bravery. and BREED some m$therf***ing COMPASSION."

If you visit the Body Revolution you see some pretty amazing people who are fighting the snickers of others. How often do children point at people who limp, have scars, etc. Often what I see is parents who just hush their children instead of explaining things to them. How is this different from kids calling other kids fatty.

October is anti-bullying month. Maybe the definition of bullying that some people have is narrow. I guess my definition is much broader.
  • maricash
    Options
    Is sooooooo tired of hearing about this.... she just can't let it go and is becoming famous because of it. BULLYING MY *kitten* !!
    I just heard that she runs 3x a week .......suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure she does BAHAHAHAHAHA

There are many people on this site who are even heavier than that woman and who run regularly. I see posts from them quite often. Here's a recent example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711234-300-lbs-and-ran-my-2nd-5k-i-feel-like-a-superhero-w-pics?hl=300+5k

I'm sure she's just faking it though. No one who is overweight exercises or eats healthy things ever. Just as no one who is thin starves themselves to get there or spends any time watching T.V. Fat people all stuff themselves and sleep all day. While thin people all run 10 miles daily and eat healthy balanced meals. At least that is what I am "learning" from some of the ignorant comments in this thread.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the letter, although offensive to the anchor, had good intentions. The man who wrote the email has an absolutely valid point. She is very overweight, and although we do not know if she has any health conditions that could affect her weight, she has a career in a visual art. I think she took it well out of proportion in calling it "bullying". Yes, he made a judgement based on her appearance, but hellooo...she is a TV anchor. For someone who was not hurt by his words, she sure made a big deal out of it.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    So it would be okay if he said to an tv anchor - your teeth have a gap go see a dentist or your roots are showing go see a hairstylist or that mole looks cancerous go see a doctor or you got big boobs get them reduced and I could go on. Sorry but judging others that way just seems wrong to me.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the letter, although offensive to the anchor, had good intentions. The man who wrote the email has an absolutely valid point. She is very overweight, and although we do not know if she has any health conditions that could affect her weight, she has a career in a visual art. I think she took it well out of proportion in calling it "bullying". Yes, he made a judgement based on her appearance, but hellooo...she is a TV anchor. For someone who was not hurt by his words, she sure made a big deal out of it.
    The guy went out of his way to write to her, of course it's bullying. Do you think she should quit her job until she loses weight? You're as bad as the dumb**se who wrote to her.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am obese by BMI standards too.
    <<<<<do I look obese to you?
    Bmi is a bunch of hooey.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

There are many people on this site who are even heavier than that woman and who run regularly. I see posts from them quite often. Here's a recent example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711234-300-lbs-and-ran-my-2nd-5k-i-feel-like-a-superhero-w-pics?hl=300+5k

I'm sure she's just faking it though. No one who is overweight exercises or eats healthy things ever. Just as no one who is thin starves themselves to get there or spends any time watching T.V. Fat people all stuff themselves and sleep all day. While thin people all run 10 miles daily and eat healthy balanced meals. At least that is what I am "learning" from some of the ignorant comments in this thread.
    Interesting. Maybe you should have read the thread you linked, cause in that thread she lost 30lbs due to running.

I also find it hard to believe that reporter as well.
  • Expatusa
    Options
    He is a bully. He is using a tactic called "shaming". It is especially hurtful in that he hides behind a veneer of concern for the school girls she is leading down the wrong road with her irresponsible weight management.

He doesn't ask her, or suggest, that it may be from an underlying health condition.

He doesn't offer to ASSIST her in making changes. For example, "I would like to offer my free personal training services and nutritional counseling which I hope can improve your life and offer inspiration for your viewers"

You see, there is no helping in criticism if you don't offer your hand to assist. Either mind your own business, or truly commit your time and energy to the cause you found so important you had to take out your time to write an email about someones "social irresponsibility".

I hope that readers that feel this email wasn't bullying reconsider the powerful tactic of shaming. Accusing someone of letting down others and themselves can spiral people into depression so deep they commit suicide.

It IS bullying...of the worst kind.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

At her size she might run....but not what we here would consider running.... could be to the car & back in the rain ;) I looked fitter than her at my heaviest :O