What to do when you can't eat vegetables?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I am not allowed to have any green vegetables for the next year...I am on blood thinners. What in the world other vegetables are there...especially when not eating green gets rid of all the ones I actually liked? I can't stomach sweet potatoes or squash no matter how I prepare them. And you can only eat so many carrots before wanting to gag on those as well. Any ideas for other vegetables I'm not thinking about?

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Had the same issue when I was on Coumadin. Did they give you the dietary guidelines? It's been a number of years, but as I recall, you still could eat some green vegetables. You simply wanted to keep it consistent so they wouldn't need to change the medication dosage.
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    EGGPLANT.....that's one veggie we are still trying to introduce....
  • JTick
    Options
    Oh boy. Had the same issue when I was on Coumadin. Did they give you the dietary guidelines? It's been a number of years, but as I recall, you still could eat some green vegetables. You simply wanted to keep it consistent so they wouldn't need to change the medication dosage.

I did briefly talk to my doctor yesterday about that, but I'm worried about HAVING to eat them every day if I do that. If I were to miss a day or two of green veggies, it could really affect my INR number. I have MULTIPLE blood clots in the large vein behind my knee (following knee surgery), so it is a bigger risk that they could move. At this point, I feel safer not eating anything green and taking the same meds every days, at least until my numbers are stabilized.
  • JTick
    Options
    What's a good way to cook eggplant? I have never tried it...what does it taste like?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Peppers, yellow, orange and red, cauliflower, tomato, onions, mushrooms, try carrot salad (grated with orange juice) Little baby yello squashes - looks like baby pumpkins... corn, radishes, (I hate those, but some like it)
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    tomatoes and bell peppers are awesome. I also second that eggplant. How about avocados?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    can you eat red bell peppers? onions?
  • JTick
    Options
    Yep, I can do bell peppers, and can start chopping some onion in throw in with my chicken or something. I had forgotten about some of these...it's weird when you have to go from eating anything to go going "hmmm...can I have this?".

I also totally forgot about corn...doh!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I did briefly talk to my doctor yesterday about that, but I'm worried about HAVING to eat them every day if I do that. If I were to miss a day or two of green veggies, it could really affect my INR number. I have MULTIPLE blood clots in the large vein behind my knee (following knee surgery), so it is a bigger risk that they could move. At this point, I feel safer not eating anything green and taking the same meds every days, at least until my numbers are stabilized.

I'll be honest - if it were my health and I had the choice between HAVING to eat green vegetables and all the wonderful nutrition they provide and NOT BEING ABLE to, I'd prepare a measured portion of some green vegetable for every single day of the week and work with my doctor to adjust the meds for that intake level. Then I'd sustain that intake level every. single. day.

But there are plenty of vegetables that will get you good nutrition and fiber without being green. I'd suggest going to the supermarket, picking out 2-3 things you've never heard of, buying them, then looking up recipes for them. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    cauliflower
    radicchio and other non green lettuces
    bean sprouts
    bell peppers - yellow, orange, red (red is soooo good for you!)
    mushrooms
    water chestnuts
    artichoke
    carrot
    onion
    parsnip
    turnip
    yellow string beans
    beets
    tomatoes

What kinds of squash have you tried? If you're willing to give it another go, butternut is usually quite good (shaped like a peanut, light yellow/orange color) and can be cooked in a variety of ways. Here's a couple of recipes that use it:
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Breakfast/recipe?id=9492388
    http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/potato-topped-beef-stew

There's also zucchini and summer squash which tend to be lighter and sweeter than the winter squashes. I like them cut up raw in salads or sauteed and put in casseroles. Zucchini is great sauteed up with some tomato and onion.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Corn is not a vegetable. It's a grain.
  • JTick
    Options

What kinds of squash have you tried? If you're willing to give it another go, butternut is usually quite good (shaped like a peanut, light yellow/orange color) and can be cooked in a variety of ways. Here's a couple of recipes that use it:
    http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/potato-topped-beef-stew

There's also zucchini and summer squash which tend to be lighter and sweeter than the winter squashes. I like them cut up raw in salads or sauteed and put in casseroles. Zucchini is great sauteed up with some tomato and onion.

I have tried spaghetti squash, butternut, summer squash. I can eat zucchini when we use it to bake with (zucchini bread, etc.). I just can't get past the taste and texture of eating the other ones though.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Peppers, yellow, orange and red, cauliflower, tomato, onions, mushrooms, try carrot salad (grated with orange juice) Little baby yello squashes - looks like baby pumpkins... corn, radishes, (I hate those, but some like it)

Add some pineapple pieces to your carrot salad, and use a bit of pine juice instead of carrot. Yum
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am not allowed to have any green vegetables for the next year...I am on blood thinners. What in the world other vegetables are there...especially when not eating green gets rid of all the ones I actually liked? I can't stomach sweet potatoes or squash no matter how I prepare them. And you can only eat so many carrots before wanting to gag on those as well. Any ideas for other vegetables I'm not thinking about?

You might want to read the prescribing information for your Warfarin/Coumadin. The recommendation is to keep your intake of vit K rich foods at a steady state and have your blood clottting fators (ie: PTT/INR) checked regularly. It is a very common misinterpretation of the guidelines for people to be told "no green vegetables" but not only is this not true, but it's like "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

I am a Reg. Dietitian working in a hospital and it is actually my job to educate patients on diet with warfarin/coumadin use.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Peppers, Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Eggplant...

I agree, I'd be lost without broccoli, lettuce and asparagus...

Good luck!
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Juice them some veggies thins the blood also it seem the more natural way.
  • KiraBg
    KiraBg Posts: 24
    Options
    What about cabbage - purple or the regular one? You can cook cabbage with a bit of oil, tomato sauce, black pepper, and bay leaves - steam until soft - a little smelly, but I love it.

Also, use purple cabbage with some carrots for salad with olive oil, salt and vinegar. It is good for you and yummy, too!
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's just leafy green and cruciferous (like broccoli) that you can't have with coumadin, right? Are green beans ok? Your doctor knows best about that, I am sure. I think carrot, tomato, and maybe more fruits than other people would eat would be good?
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Rutabaga! I love that stuff! But man, I would miss my spinach/broccoli/lettuce/beans.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I have tried spaghetti squash, butternut, summer squash. I can eat zucchini when we use it to bake with (zucchini bread, etc.). I just can't get past the taste and texture of eating the other ones though.

Have you ever tried fried squash? I know it's not the healthiest way to prepare it, but I have known several people who hated squash, but loved it fried.