What to do when you can't eat vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to get your doctor to refer you to a dietician, like they do with diabetics and heart attack patients for dietary counselling. If there are different options available and your health is obviously important to you, you deserve professional guidance.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am a NON-vegetarian and I am healthy without them. I would consider taking a daily vitamin and just eating what you can.

Cheers!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, peas, cabbage, cucumber, celery and okra are all "green" but pretty low in Vitamin K (which is the concern with clotting). http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/vitamin-k-foods.htm
  • bsmcdonald0513
    bsmcdonald0513 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Avocados are a fruit...
  • elisheva
    elisheva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try the website - WHFoods.com - World's Healthiest Foods. It's an amazing website with really easy and delicious recipes. Also, just browse some vegetarian websites for ideas. I really like Ohsheglows.com which is a vegan site but has great stuff. Good Luck.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You should make roasted vegetable salads:
    (tomato, pepper, onion, yellow zucchini, maybe a bit of squash) all soaked in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven or BBQ. Voila! So so good. I could eat myself to death with that.

Another favorite for me are Mexican corn salads:
    Black beans, corn, avocado, onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, coriander, cumin salt and pepper. Mix it all up in a bowl and chow down. Perhaps garnish with a bit of cilantro too if you like it!

Personally, my favorite salads or meals are ones that have heartier vegetables as a base rather than a mound of leafy greens. Good luck, there really are a ton of alternatives if you keep your mind open and are willing to try new things.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am not allowed to have any green vegetables for the next year...I am on blood thinners. What in the world other vegetables are there...especially when not eating green gets rid of all the ones I actually liked? I can't stomach sweet potatoes or squash no matter how I prepare them. And you can only eat so many carrots before wanting to gag on those as well. Any ideas for other vegetables I'm not thinking about?

You might want to read the prescribing information for your Warfarin/Coumadin. The recommendation is to keep your intake of vit K rich foods at a steady state and have your blood clottting fators (ie: PTT/INR) checked regularly. It is a very common misinterpretation of the guidelines for people to be told "no green vegetables" but not only is this not true, but it's like "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

I am a Reg. Dietitian working in a hospital and it is actually my job to educate patients on diet with warfarin/coumadin use.

RN, and I second this. If you have been eating X amount and sudden drop from that, it will also affect (in the opposite direction) how the Warfarin is working. Generally -- especially at first -- blood work is done frequently to check the PTT/INR and it's not uncommon for the dose to be adjusted to achieve a therapeutic (and safe level).
  • Kippie1985
    Kippie1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So are peas, tomatoes, yellow beans, squash, and anything else containing a seed which we call a vegetable =)

The only true vegetables are things that we eat the leaves and stalks of... I think though whether it's a fruit/vegetable/tuber/fungus, the OP is just looking for "non-green things we might call a vegetable"
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Peppers, yellow, orange and red, cauliflower, tomato, onions, mushrooms, try carrot salad (grated with orange juice) Little baby yello squashes - looks like baby pumpkins... corn, radishes, (I hate those, but some like it)

Peppers, tomato, mushrooms are not veggies
    Neither are sqush or corn
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Corn is not a vegetable. It's a grain.

Actually, if you want to get technical, it's a fruit.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'd check your library for vegetarian cookbooks, or even vegan ones. "Vegetarian cooking for everyone" by Deborah Madison has an encyclopedic array of vegetable recipes.

Check for any basic cookbook that's really heavy, and look in the vegetables chapter. Often you'll find recipes and guidelines for baking, broiling, steaming, grilling, etc. So you can try cooking them in a variety of ways and see what you like.

America's Test Kitchen has a "Best recipes" book that's quite good, too.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    What's a good way to cook eggplant? I have never tried it...what does it taste like?

Wash the eggplant. Cut in 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick slices. Sprinkle salt liberally on each side and place on paper towels for a few hours (this is to draw out the fluid from the fleshy parts of the eggplant... it helps with the "bitterness" some people taste when eating eggplant). Carefully rinse the slices, then season to taste and bake on a baking sheet for 45 mins at 350 F.

Delicious!

(For seasoning I usually use onion and garlic powder, a little bit of salt, crushed black pepper and oregano or basil depending on my mood)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower
    Tomatoes
    Corn
    White Cabbage?
    Red cabbage
    Whats the stance on peppers, a green pepper is just a pepper thats not ripe yet i've been told?

In b4 splitting hairs about fruits and vegetables
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Corn is not a vegetable. It's a grain.

Actually, if you want to get technical, it's a fruit.

Actually if you want to get technical grains are fruit
    corn is a grain and a fruit
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I also roast squashes and sweet potatoes in the oven. I cut them in chunks, then dust lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper or whatever other spices I feel like, and bake for at least 30 mins at 350F :smile:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the suggestions, and am looking forward to trying some out.

I am choosing to give up the greens for at least the time being. I will not be on Coumadin for the rest of my life, only a year. I do not enjoy greens enough to ensure eating them every day, and quite frankly I am terrified of messing with my INR when I went in for a 20 minute surgery as a healthy, 22 yo person and walked out with major blood clots. My INR has already been hard to stabilize, shooting from 1.9 up to 4.0 back down to 1.6. I have been going every 10 days for 7 weeks now to get it checked...definately getting old!

I figure this will give me a chance to explore more options. If after a few months I decide that I absolutely can and will eat a green every day, I will talk to my doc then about adjusting.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Peppers, yellow, orange and red, cauliflower, tomato, onions, mushrooms, try carrot salad (grated with orange juice) Little baby yello squashes - looks like baby pumpkins... corn, radishes, (I hate those, but some like it)

Peppers, tomato, mushrooms are not veggies
    Neither are sqush or corn

WOW, what a helpful guy....Thank you!:noway: :grumble: :huh:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would like to add:

Sunchoke
    Parsnip
    Beets
    Shaved apple salad

And of course the ones that have been mentioned:

Cauliflower
    Eggplant
    Carrots
    Peppers
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    "I know from experience that doctors encourage that a patient on blood thinners continues to eat a balanced diet, including green and leafy veggies. If you like salad and lettuce you wont have to give them up. The only important thing is to be stable in your diet, don’t eat a ton of lettuce in one week and no lettuce in the other."

Found that online. But, here are a list of other tasty, non-blood thinning veggies;
    Eggplant
    Mushrooms
    Peppers
    Sweet potatoes
    Potato-potatoes (:P)