Is corn making us fat?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't know about corn making people fat. I don't really like walking around in fear of food, but I saw a dude eat a pot full of spaghetti with a twenty-five ounce stake, and he didn't bat an eye. I would say eating like that made him fat. He talked about doing some push-ups to work it off, but he decided to play basketball instead. He broke his knee, and ended up in a cast for a long long time. He's about 325 pounds now. True story.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    chocolate ice-cream is making me fat
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I like corn.
  • MommaSpunk
    Options
    I wouldnt say corn is unhealthy as a food alone, but like with all things.. in moderation.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Paleo/primal = ftw.

This
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Options
    chocolate ice-cream is making me fat

Well I dunno about all YOU people, but it sure is making ME fat...
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Options
    There are SO many studies out there that disprove this notion. The amount of food we eat has not really increased that much at all for the average american. Neither has the amount of exercise we get. Aside from that, exercise is not all that important in weight loss (not talking about toning, bulking, etc.). Some say 10%, but i'd give it 5% at best. What has changed, is our diets. What we eat, not how much of it we eat.

Would you be so kind as to provide some links to those studies?
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Corn is making us fat. End of story. Do a tiny bit of research on the subject and it's overwhelmingly obvious. Look at corn use and weight gain in the 60's and 70's when corn syrups started replacing natural sugar. Look at the weight gain of the nation since "Low fat, high sugar" became the big weight loss craze. (Funny that all the low fat programs always came with, "Exercise required, active healthy lifestyle to lose weight", etc etc. heh I lost over 150lbs sitting on my *kitten* eating bacon and steak.) In closing, denying it is like denying the evolution theory.
    I'd say too much food and too little movement is making us fat.

A number of civilizations owe their survival to corn. It is not in and of itself a bad thing - far from it.

There are SO many studies out there that disprove this notion. The amount of food we eat has not really increased that much at all for the average american. Neither has the amount of exercise we get. Aside from that, exercise is not all that important in weight loss (not talking about toning, bulking, etc.). Some say 10%, but i'd give it 5% at best. What has changed, is our diets. What we eat, not how much of it we eat.

STUDIES PEOPLE....STUDIES!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Would you be so kind as to provide some links to those studies?

Inb4 Lustig alarmist video that neglects dosage and context.....
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Corn and wheat are primary ingredients in most of our food, this dates back to just after the great depression when farmers and scientist got together to figure out how to boost food production and storage. If you do some research you will find that since this was done our waist lines have continued to grow and grow due to the abundance of food, it is a proven fact.

Corn and wheat are like any other food, moderation is key, unfortunately most processed foods have one or both and usually a franken version of it.

My suggestion is to try to avoid processed foods whenever possible, there's nothing of great nutritional value in processed foods, stick to real whole foods. If you want, read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan or the Engine 2 diet book, I could go on. The idea to stick to the outter edges of the grocery store and avoid the isles in the middle is always the best idea!

Also a good rule of thumb, the more "health" claims a product makes the faster you should run from it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Corn is making us fat. End of story. Do a tiny bit of research on the subject and it's overwhelmingly obvious. Look at corn use and weight gain in the 60's and 70's when corn syrups started replacing natural sugar. Look at the weight gain of the nation since "Low fat, high sugar" became the big weight loss craze. (Funny that all the low fat programs always came with, "Exercise required, active healthy lifestyle to lose weight", etc etc. heh I lost over 150lbs sitting on my *kitten* eating bacon and steak.) In closing, denying it is like denying the evolution theory.

A number of civilizations owe their survival to corn. It is not in and of itself a bad thing - far from it.

How does CORN specifically make us fat any more than a calorific surplus of anything? Now, there may be a prevalence of foodstuff that contain corn syrup that are being eaten to make up that calorific surplus, but why is corn syrup specifically the culprit as opposed to eating more than you burn in general?

Please cite these studies.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You are looking at different studies than I am, obviously. Portion sizes have increased by 30-70% since the 1970s and activity has decreased proportionately (Google it!). Kids used to be outside riding their bicycles and running around playing with their friends when I was growing up. Now they're inside playing video games, facebooking, texting ....
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the record corn didn't make me fat, it actually makes me sick, I'm pretty sure my haagen dazs habit helped get me to my worst, oh and coffees made of half and half instead of milk when I worked at starbucks, I made myself fat by losing control!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    lol
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Watch King Corn the documentary. Its just crazy

http://www.kingcorn.net/the-film/trailer/

Here's a summary. The giant ape falls off the Empire State Building. Beauty killed the beast.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

How does CORN specifically make us fat any more than a calorific surplus of anything? Now, there may be a prevalence of foodstuff that contain corn syrup that are being eaten to make up that calorific surplus, but why is corn syrup specifically the culprit as opposed to eating more than you burn in general?

The reason it is corn syrup is that it is a cheap ingredient. If other sugars were easier to buy and transport guess what would be the culprit of our calorie surplus by the OPs logic? Whatever is used in volume....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the record corn didn't make me fat, it actually makes me sick, I'm pretty sure my haagen dazs habit helped get me to my worst, oh and coffees made of half and half instead of milk when I worked at starbucks, I made myself fat by losing control!

Guess what was in that Haagen Dazs....
    They've gotten better but I'm not sure all their ice creams are HFCs free...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

The reason it is corn syrup is that it is a cheap ingredient. If other sugars were easier to buy and transport guess what would be the culprit of our calorie surplus by the OPs logic? Whatever is used in volume....

Well said. It's not because corn syrup is worse than any other sugar; it's not. However, it's much cheaper to manufacture. Sales of soda and other sugary foods skyrocketed after it was put on the market. There are a lot of scientific papers that cite the introduction of corn syrup as a major contributor to obesity; here is one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2932668/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well said. It's not because corn syrup is worse than any other sugar; it's not. However, it's much cheaper to manufacture. Sales of soda and other sugary foods skyrocketed after it was put on the market. There are a lot of scientific papers that cite the introduction of corn syrup as a major contributor to obesity; here is one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2932668/

This does not actually make that point from my reading of it. It also shows that no ONE thing can be blamed. I agree with the comment re volume and what would be blamed - which was what I was alluding to regarding its prevalence.

Extract:

"HFCS consumption (but not necessarily fructose per se) has increased substantially in the last several decades and has been speculated to be a contributor to the obesity epidemic (Bray et al 2004; Welsh et al 2005). Yet, a critical review (Forshee et al., 2007) and a recent position paper from the American Medical Association concluded “Because the composition of HFCS and sucrose are so similar, particularly on absorption by the body, it appears unlikely that HFCS contributes more to obesity or other conditions than sucrose” (American Medical Association, 2008).