Help me understand something

Options

Replies

• krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Is Sally nice, because if she is a bully then we don't care if she gains her weight back.

OMGF! Bahahaha!

In regards to OP, if Sally burns that extra 400 calories she would be fine!
  • angelajo01
    Options
    :laugh:
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Who are these 'people' and why would Sally want to eat so little anyway?

These are just random numbers.

In theory, Sally could be eating 2000 calories and then up it to 2500 to maintain if that's what she wanted.

I'm asking because I have heard a lot of people say that people who do low calorie diets always end up putting the weight back on and then some when they reach their goal and start eating for maintainence instead of weight loss and that doesn't make sense to me.

Here, we can use me as an example. I'll run my actual numbers:

According to this: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I require 1255 calories right now for fat loss (MFP recommended 1200 so same general ballpark).

However, according to this same calculator, if I reach my goal weight, I will need 1471 to maintain that goal weight.

So if I ate to lose for a few months and then reached my goal and slowly upped my calories to maintain, why would people tell me I'd just gain all the weight back?

Because they are stupid. >end thread<
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options

In theory, Sally could be eating 2000 calories and then up it to 2500 to maintain if that's what she wanted.

I'm asking because I have heard a lot of people say that people who do low calorie diets always end up putting the weight back on and then some when they reach their goal and start eating for maintainence instead of weight loss and that doesn't make sense to me.

I require 1255 calories right now for fat loss (MFP recommended 1200 so same general ballpark).

However, according to this same calculator, if I reach my goal weight, I will need 1471 to maintain that goal weight.

So if I ate to lose for a few months and then reached my goal and slowly upped my calories to maintain, why would people tell me I'd just gain all the weight back?
    I believe that once a person loses all the weight that they want to, they quit logging and tracking and go back to their prior behaviors. This is what causes weight gain.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would say that. If 1600 is her maintenance for her new weight, then she won't gain any back.

If Sally ate at 1200 plus her exercise calories, she was probably actually eating 1500 or more anyway as she lost weight.

If however Sally's BMR is 1600 and she eats at 1200 for 6 months, then she begins eating at 1600, then she will likely gain weight.

Does that answer your question?

I think Sally is nice but she may be a bit confused.
  • Coalforchristmas
    Options
    I think what people are saying is that Sally, because of her previous low amount of calories, isn't likely to stick to the plan. Such as she would be hungry and lethargic and thus more likely to binge. Not that she would magically gain all her weight back eating at maintenance. At least I HOPE that's not what they're saying.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that "Sally" would gain that weight back. I have sort of been in a similar situation; I lost 30 pounds dropping down to 1600 calories along with a moderatly active lifestyle. The higher the weight the more calories your body burns, even if you do nothing but lay in bed all day. What I found that even though I am still eatting 1600 calories I was no longer losing weight, just maintaining because as I lost weight the base amount of calories my body burned also lowered. So, at my current weight I can either maintain at 1600 or if I want to lose I aim for 1200 to 1400. Focus on what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is and you can find under Tools. Does this help with your question?

Yes! Thank you. :)
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Sally has to eat lower cals to lose weight but once she's lost the weight so can go back to eating what is normal for Sally's body. If Sally loses the weight and than stays at the maintenance calories, Sally will also stay at the same weight.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Who are these people that are telling you that? I don't know anybody that knows that much about calories that would say that? Are you talking about people in general saying people on diets are just going to get fat when the eat normal again? That is a different story.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There's a few considerations:

1) People who go on aggressive diets usually gain it back due to lack of dietary adherence. Poor adherence is caused by a number of factors and I would pin extreme deficits as one culprit.

2) Depending on the overall change in physique and activity, I think it's fair to say that "most" people who diet down and lose weight, end up with a lower maintenance than they had when they started.

In theory, assuming you stuck to this plan, you shouldn't start magically gaining weight given correct numbers.
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options
    I think what people are saying is that Sally, because of her previous low amount of calories, isn't likely to stick to the plan. Such as she would be hungry and lethargic and thus more likely to binge. Not that she would magically gain all her weight back eating at maintenance. At least I HOPE that's not what they're saying.

That's kind of what I suspected also. But so many people say things like that that I really wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask people who know.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    She'd gain the weight back if she went back to binge eating and eating above her maintenance. If she's eating at maintenance, she isn't going to gain. She might gain the first week or two, but eventually it would level out and she'd be good to go.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Is Sally nice, because if she is a bully then we don't care if she gains her weight back.

Way too funny!!! Thanks!
  • AmesBelovedd
    Options
    You may want to research how many calories it would take to maintain your weight for your height. I am only 5'0, and if I up'd my calories to 1600 I would gain weight, because it is too many calories for my body type and height, The recommended amount of calories for my height is 1495. If you do a little research, you will be able to find out the healthy amount of calories to maintain your weight.
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would find it hard to believe that Sally would gain back all of her weight if she stays at 1600 calories. I've been Sally. When I upped my calories from 1200.....the only reason I gained was because I quit logging/quit measuring and lied to myself about what 1600 calories was. I went back to old food habits and lied to myself. Sally needs to keep it real--if she stays at 1600 calories and exercises--she will not gain weight back. At least that is my experience at being Sally. :smile:
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options

Who are these people that are telling you that? I don't know anybody that knows that much about calories that would say that? Are you talking about people in general saying people on diets are just going to get fat when the eat normal again? That is a different story.

Yeah, it was just people in general and people who have done diets and then gained it all back.

Thanks guys. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that "Sally" would gain that weight back. I have sort of been in a similar situation; I lost 30 pounds dropping down to 1600 calories along with a moderatly active lifestyle. The higher the weight the more calories your body burns, even if you do nothing but lay in bed all day. What I found that even though I am still eatting 1600 calories I was no longer losing weight, just maintaining because as I lost weight the base amount of calories my body burned also lowered. So, at my current weight I can either maintain at 1600 or if I want to lose I aim for 1200 to 1400. Focus on what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is and you can find under Tools. Does this help with your question?

Yes! Thank you. :)

And if you are already eating at the 1200 minimum, you can't go any lower to get those last 10 or however many pounds off when you get there.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

We are assuming Sally is nice like sugar and spice

oooh... she needs to be careful then... too much sugar and she could go way over in calories... and then there's that whole diabetes thing. :grumble:
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options

mwhahahaa!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If Sally is eating at maintenance calories she will not gain any fat back