Calorie wise sushi options

Options
I'm going out to dinner for sushi with a friend tonight. I've been real good with my diet, and wondering what healthy options are there. We're going to an all you can eat buffet! Ah I hope I can control myself. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to dinner for sushi with a friend tonight. I've been real good with my diet, and wondering what healthy options are there. We're going to an all you can eat buffet! Ah I hope I can control myself. Any suggestions?

All you can eat you say? Personally I'd eat whatever I wanted and get on track tomorrow. If you wanted to be sort of mindful of your cals sashimi would prob be the best choice
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is great as it's just raw fish/beef - any sushi will be roughly the same as they all come with rice - just pick smaller ones, eat slowly - and enjoy. I'm jealous I love sushi.:love:

Can you have some miso soup to fill you up first?
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options

All you can eat you say? Personally I'd eat whatever I wanted and get on track tomorrow. If you wanted to be sort of mindful of your cals sashimi would prob be the best choice

Agreed. Get rolls with more veg and less everything else, like cream cheese.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <---Cheats for sushi.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    mmm sushi

i agree...sashimi is best. its hard to figure calorie count in special rolls.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sashimi with no rice and low sodium soy. If you want to be as healthy as you can.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    cucmber rolls are probably the lowest in calories. What I would do is type is "sushi" in your diary and see what comes up, then just plan it out the best you can. Good luck with the "all you can eat!"
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Stay away from tempura and anything with mayo or cream cheese. Other than that, it'll mostly be seaweed, veggies & fish so it's not too bad.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to eat all the sushi and enjoy.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    See if there are any brown rice options. Otherwise, sashimi is good.

If you prefer sushi, pick rolls with NO sauce and that are filled with vegetables.

I enjoy the "dragon roll" which is eel, avocado, cucumber...and something else lol It's a bit high in calories because of the avocado, but it's healthy.

Choose smaller pieces (as suggested by another) and try to pick ones with more filling and less rice.

Enjoy!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Seared Ahi. Awesome. Wasabi and soy sauce. Yum.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Avoid any "spicy" sushi (spicy tuna roll etc), the sauce is typically like a mayo base with spices. If you want to make it spicy, just add more wasabi.

Stay away from tempura.

Stay away from sushi with "special sauce", again most are probably a cream base with high calories.

Go towards the ones that have fish and veggies. Only get one with avocado.

Stay away from ones that have cream cheese.

If they have brown rice sushi, try that instead of white. Or just do sashimi.

Look for low sodium soy sauce, if it isn't on your table, ask for it.

And where is this all you can eat sushi buffet and why don't I have one around where I live???
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I too would just enjoy but if you are looking for better options, stay away from the ones with mayo or fried, add in shashimi (has no rice) and add some miso soup, edammame or veggies to fill you. Ask for the low sodium soy sauce. I just LOVE sushi!
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Stick with raw fish like sashimi & fresh ingredients like veggies.. sometimes I ask the chef if he can make rolls without rice.. no tempura rolls, baked rolls with mayo sauce. Since it's AYCE, don't order gyoza or calamari. & if all fails, just limit all the bad stuff. Hope that helps! :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the rice, rice is cheap, go for the good stuff, Sal-mon! Yummy!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Sunflower! ♫

One, two, three, wheeeee!

There's a zombie on your lawn,
    We don't want zombies on the lawn...
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Forget the rolls. Those can get very caloric due to the mayo and sauces they sometimes use. Go for the Sashimi or the Chirashi (if you don't mind the rice). Maybe a seaweed salad on the side.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My favorite specialty roll at my favorite place is about 300 calories per roll (4 pieces). I would have to eat over 11 plates to gain one pound.

I have tried to reach this but the best I did was 6 plates. :bigsmile:
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    limiting yourself at all you can eat sushi is like breaking into a bank and only stealing the pennies... :laugh: :noway: