Calorie wise sushi options

Replies

• erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    <---Cheats for sushi.

Ich auch. It's worth it. :love:
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    you can also get rolls with thin sliced cucumber instead of rice. I forget what they're called but they are yummy and much lower calories.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    limiting yourself at all you can eat sushi is like breaking into a bank and only stealing the pennies... :laugh: :noway:

So true!

Whenever we get sushi take-out at home, we typically get 4-5 maki rolls with 2-3 of them being veggie varieties and 1-2 "splurge" rolls and then split all of them half and half so we have 3 pieces each of 4-5 different rolls. Very satisfying and really not that bad for dining out.
  • kayc06
    kayc06 Posts: 15
    Wow thanks for the suggestions! I'll stick with sashimi, veggies, light on the soy sauce and no deep fried rolls. You guys are great.
  • therealmax
    therealmax Posts: 33 Member
    Mmmm AYCE sushiii
    My favorite japanese meal is sashimi and spinach gomae. Its cooked spinach with a sesame sauce on it. So good!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    I adore sushi, and sometimes I am sensible and sometimes I order the less sensible items. I don't really care for the ones with mayo or cream cheese, but a few of the fried rolls at my favorite sushi place are SO delicious. The best part about sushi is sharing! Bring a friend or two and enjoy!
    I am having sushi this weekend.
  • Ronngie
    My favorite specialty roll at my favorite place is about 300 calories per roll (4 pieces). I would have to eat over 11 plates to gain one pound.

I have tried to reach this but the best I did was 6 plates. :bigsmile:
    Please describe this roll!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    limiting yourself at all you can eat sushi is like breaking into a bank and only stealing the pennies... :laugh: :noway:

LOL! You wouldn't get very far trying to carry all that weight around. 25 dollars (thats the box they come in) of pennies are HEAVY!

I always over-indulge on sushi, too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    It's all pretty healthy. Just eat until satisfied and not go until "over-full".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'm going out to dinner for sushi with a friend tonight. I've been real good with my diet, and wondering what healthy options are there. We're going to an all you can eat buffet! Ah I hope I can control myself. Any suggestions?

All you can eat you say? Personally I'd eat whatever I wanted and get on track tomorrow. If you wanted to be sort of mindful of your cals sashimi would prob be the best choice

This. Life is to short to choose sushi based on calorie count. :love:

I'm usually have at least two plates of just sushi at a buffet, then a few more plates of other options.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    My favorite specialty roll at my favorite place is about 300 calories per roll (4 pieces). I would have to eat over 11 plates to gain one pound.

Its called a Red Devil roll. Basically a shrimp tempura roll with shredded crab on top and then the spicy and sweet sauce drizzled across it.

l.jpg
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    You can go nuts on edamame and miso soup- those two options are definitely good things to fill up on. Low calorie and nutritious.

I'd say as far as sushi rolls are concerned, avoid all the "spicy" ones. They usually have a mayo spread (this is unfortunate, because I love spicy sushi) in them. California rolls are also loaded with mayo as well.

Basic vegetable rolls are all a safe option, or of course the plain fish ones without any added sauces are as well.

There are yam rolls that have tempura in them (so good!), but are actually not too bad calorie wise since they aren't loaded with heavy sauces. (See a pattern here?). I would just avoid the totally battered and deep fried rolls or tempura, mainly because of all the unhealthy fats.

Gomae (spinach with sesame paste) and seaweed salad are both delicious options as well, and fairly low on calories if you keep your portions under control.

But of course- if you want a "special treat", there isn't any harm in pre-logging or working it in to your diary (if you have an idea of what they may have). If you aren't afraid of mayonnaise calorie-wise as well, then go for it. But from my experience those are generally the rolls I tend avoid so I don't have to face a giant mountain of calories later.

Great! Now I want sushi! :)
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    I was reading this casually until I got to the part where someone said to avoid cream cheese?
    Cream cheese? Cream cheese? When has sushi ever had cream cheese? When has Japan every used cream cheese? Is it just America? Why is there cream cheese? I have never ever seen sushi with cream cheese in Australiag
  • Ronngie

Its called a Red Devil roll. Basically a shrimp tempura roll with shredded crab on top and then the spicy and sweet sauce drizzled across it.
    Um yum, yours sounds delicious! My favorite called Tropical roll, it is a shrimp tempura with mango on top with egg sauce. TDF!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Some places offer "lollipop" rolls. They're usually all fish wrapped in thin cut cucumber. I know one place that calls it an "Atkins" roll for the lack of cabs.

Keep the rolls simple. The fancier the name the more likely it will contain cream cheese, something deep fried and be covered in a mayo based sauce.

Please, can we have a ban on mayo and cream cheese in sushi joints entirely! Just does not belong.
  • Ronngie
    The sushi place we go, is also Korean, and they serve Banchan, the little plates with different vegetables. If you find a place that does this, it's a good way to start & not overeat.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member

Um yum, yours sounds delicious! My favorite called Tropical roll, it is a shrimp tempura with mango on top with egg sauce. TDF!

I need several plates of both of these please... oh em ghee...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member

Sounds really good.
  • Ronngie
    Our 3 favorites!
    2gt87b9.jpg
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    i can haz brown rice cali rollz?!?!?!?