would you date someone with no lisence?

Options
12346»

Replies

• lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    my SO doesnt drive...it is a pain in the a$%@# every time... but we've been together for over 24yrs (all these yr...i still cant stand it) if ur wondering why...let me know when you find out lol
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The answer to that question would depend upon what part of the world you live in...

In Cocoa, Florida where I live, the answer for most people would be no because being able to drive is necessary for daily survival.

However, in some larger cities in the US the answer would be yes because they have mass transit systems.

As far as I am concern, it does not matter to me... As long as she is a good person, petty stuff like that should not matter. But, that is my opinion.
  • TexasHeather
    Options
    No and it doesnt sound like they really have there life together if that person can't even get a license.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I broke up with my last boyfriend because he lost his license and he refused to take action to get it reinstated. There's losing your license (which isn't enough in itself to break up with someone with) and then there's losing your license, your *kitten*, your will to live and everything else because you refuse to take any action whatsoever and just sit there and let life run you over, which is what he did.

So, I guess for me the answer is 'no'. But even before him, I said I wouldn't date a guy who didn't drive--unless he lived in Manhattan, London or Paris and simply didn't need to.

Some might say I'm judgmental, but where I'm from a man without a car is emasculated and no man at all. I've had guy friends who didn't drive and I loved them dearly, but I'm not going to attach myself romantically, physically and emotionally to a man with no drive--literally.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It would matter to me b/c being in a rural area, the time and distance to drive to pick someone up, go out, drop them off and then go home gets OLD VERY QUICKLY. I have done it before.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Having a partner who drives is important depending on where you live. My life used to consist at getting up at 6 am, to drive my boyfriend to work, going home working 11-7 myself, picking him up on my lunch break, running home, running back to work and getting home at midnight.

That is not fair.

I also had to go to the hospital and had to wait over two hours for his mother to pick me up and bring me to the hospital because I had pancreantitis. (We DID live in BFE)

It might not seem like a big deal, but it is. : /
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a law clerk at an organization that helps former criminals get their licenses reinstated (along with other reentry issues). The mere fact that someone has had their license revoked is really meaningless. In the state of New Jersey, there are over three hundred ways to lose your license, and it's a real pain in the *kitten* to get it back even if you're eligible.

Find out why it happened. If that reason is a dealbreaker for you, then fine. But it seems kind of shallow and stupid for just not having a license to be the entire reason you won't date the person.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Does he have his learners permit yet?:tongue:

Personally I'd be concerned if someone had received enough DWI's to have lost it, one is too many. Driving while under the influence takes too many lives and I personally would NOT be interested in spending time with someone careless enough and uncaring enough to put others in such danger.

Curious you bring this up on the forum, are you more concerned what others would think about him no longer able to have a license? Because how you feel about this situation would be far more important than what any of the rest of us think.