Working out at the Gym / how to tell someone they smell

Options
Today, was one of the worst workouts ever. It wasn't because of the machine, the work out, or even my body but a person. My workouts on the elliptical are one hour. I was having a good time, stepped it up from last week with my incline and resistance, and before you know it I had been working out for 20 minutes. I looked beside me and no one was there and then there were three other people on the other side.

This girl all of a sudden came out of no where and jumped on the machine. I instantly smelled this musty, old, week old gym clothes smell. I smelt my self and all of my things and it was HER. I'm thinking no way.

I looked at my machine and I had 40 MORE MINUTES TO go. I WAS NOT going to let this girl ruin my work out, run away, and have to log my calories, completely start over and clean a new machine.

I did EVERYTHING possible. I used my workout clothes to mask the smell, I put them over my nose and mouth. This girl reeked so much I smelt her THROUGH my cloth! I was basically suffocating my self while trying to work out and keep up pace to burn the amount of calories that I wanted.

I turned my head and worked out, tried breathing through my mouth strictly, I eventually just ended up switching hands holding my (sweat) cloth , which still smelt better than her sadly and finishing my workout.

My question is. What do you do if something like that happens?

How do you nicely tell someone that they freaking stink?

Let me tell you, it was one work out from hell. But now I can say I've been to hell and back:P Lets just hope that NEVER happens again.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would bring it to the gym staff rather than tell the person.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Move to another machine. If not elliptical, then the treadmill, stair stepper, weight machines - there is plenty to do. There was no reason you HAD to stay there.

She may have realized she smelled but she wasn't about to let the fact she forget to take out yesterday's clothes from her gym bag make her miss a workout.

If it happens again - then tell the front desk. Otherwise....move on!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Move to another machine. If not elliptical, then the treadmill, stair stepper, weight machines - there is plenty to do. There was no reason you HAD to stay there.

She may have realized she smelled but she wasn't about to let the fact she forget to take out yesterday's clothes from her gym bag make her miss a workout.

If it happens again - then tell the front desk. Otherwise....move on!

This^ honestly I find the fact that you put something over your mouth and nose kinda ridiculous and rude. It's a gym, people sweat and sometimes smell bad, get over it. If it bothered you so much you should have moved, not degraded her because chances are she already knew she smelled and you acted like a child about it.
  • g00dbyelbs
    Options
    everyone at the gym smells..the gym itself smells.
    stop being a ***** and get over it or move to a different machine...theres really no need to tell her she smells bad, i'm sure she knows.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd like you to do. This is guaranteed to solve the problem.

Next time you're on your machine and stinkypants comes in and gets on the elliptical next door, act like everything is normal. Then, when she's not looking, you need to remove a $5 spot from your bra. Keep them tucked in your bra cause that's hot btw.

Drop the 5 spot so that it lands right underneath her feet. Temporarily remove your home-made gas mask long enough to gesture to this stank of a lady.
    I
    "Excuse me miss? I think you dropped that five dollar bill down there".

Now when she bends down to pick up the five spot, you need to quick get off of your machine, and pull your pants down. Slide your butt crack all up and down her back, sort of like how a dog wipes his butt on a carpet.

When she gets up, slightly irritated, stare intently at the 5 dollar bill and then rip it out of her hands.

"OH SNAP! I guess this was MY five. My bad"

Then slap her across the face, pull your pants up, and head over to the squat cage for some barbell curls.
    legit lol followed by a snort.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Next time you're on your machine and stinkypants comes in and gets on the elliptical next door, act like everything is normal. Then, when she's not looking, you need to remove a $5 spot from your bra. Keep them tucked in your bra cause that's hot btw.

Drop the 5 spot so that it lands right underneath her feet. Temporarily remove your home-made gas mask long enough to gesture to this stank of a lady.

Now when she bends down to pick up the five spot, you need to quick get off of your machine, and pull your pants down. Slide your butt crack all up and down her back, sort of like how a dog wipes his butt on a carpet.

When she gets up, slightly irritated, stare intently at the 5 dollar bill and then rip it out of her hands.

Then slap her across the face, pull your pants up, and head over to the squat cage for some barbell curls.

Did you just write this!? This brought tears to my eyes! I guess it could be a solution lol
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    stop being a ***** and get over it or move to a different machine...theres really no need to tell her she smells bad, i'm sure she knows.

If YOU smell at the gym..... WEAR DEODORANT!!!! It's disturbing to workout next to someone who chooses not to have proper hygiene! I agree with the OP: it makes it for a very long workout!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen, with a man. We just tried to get our workout (weights) in his area done as quickly as possibly. This is a bonus as we are pushing ourselves with little rest...LOL

On machines, we just grin and bear it, or move to another machine or even a different machine.

Everyone stinks every now and then. It happens to the best of us.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    There used to be a woman at my gym named Onion Vagina. Okay. Maybe that wasn't her real name, but that's what we called her, because she smelled like she washed her vagina with an onion.

Anyway, some people smell. I just move away. Maybe you could have a stink-off with this woman and teach her a lesson?
  • Tiffikat
    Options

lol wth?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That would be an occasion where I might just go ahead and say something.
    That is not rude, especially if you are discreet to tell only her.
    If she reacts badly, you could let the staff/manager know about the problem
    They don't want that atmosphere in the gym, either.
  • Sarah47201
    Sarah47201 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would have moved if I had that much more to go...but I usually go during the dead part of the day. Maybe switch the time to when it's less busy? 11a-2p is slow around my gym. If you asked the staff I'm sure they'd tell you the slow time. :)
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would bring it to the gym staff rather than tell the person.

This :) x
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd just move machines or deal. I can't imagine confronting her would do any good, she's probably aware she smells or smelled that day and did not care. If it continues to happen and you can't get away from her I would tell the staff but be prepared for them to not do anything.

Some people smell. Some people are gross. Some people are rude and don't care about other inhabiting the same space.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would have moved if I had that much more to go...but I usually go during the dead part of the day. Maybe switch the time to when it's less busy? 11a-2p is slow around my gym. If you asked the staff I'm sure they'd tell you the slow time. :)

You could also ask the staff:

"Excuse me can you tell me when the non-smelly-*kitten* people are usually here?"
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I've had something kind of similar happen, except it was extremely strong perfume which immediately triggered an asthma attack. I moved (after I went and took my inhaler). It's just not worth it to me go complain to staff, or to confront a total stranger.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    After I've been working out for 2 hours I smell bad and I hate it. This is even when I use deodorant etc. But then I just leave the gym and get cleaned. I mean this must be some kind of death smell of you're complaining of it when you're in the gym. I mean hello, you're in the gym.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

If YOU smell at the gym..... WEAR DEODORANT!!!! It's disturbing to workout next to someone who chooses not to have proper hygiene! I agree with the OP: it makes it for a very long workout!

But who is forcing you to stay on the machine next to someone who smells? Okay a workout interrupted - big deal - move to another machine. People sweat -deodorant may not cover all the stink. Its a gym, we sweat, we smell - its being a human!

I guess you don't stink and you smell like roses all the time. Lucky for your machine neighbors!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It still amazes me why people get so hostile on here. There's no need to rip shreds off someone!!!!!
    I understand where you are coming from because some people smell so bad that it makes your eyes water. Having said that, it would have been more mature for you to move to another machine if that was at all possible. Inconvenient I know but better than embarrassing the girl. You are judging her because of the smell but you don't know her story. She may have a medical condition or something. She may get treated like that by people all the time. You just don't know. Have some compassion.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are probably a gym rat if you spend that long on an elliptical. So let's assume you know what the usual gym and sweat smells are. This was clearly different and rude people don't need to stalk your post and insult your intelligence to make themselves sound smarter.

It is a hygiene issue. I would've honestly moved to another machine, but I have also had gym staff ask me before if the person next to me is bothering me because of a sweat issue. It wasn't their smell, but they are notorious for sweating like a firehose all over equipment and not cleaning up after themselves, leaving pools of sweat in the elliptical steps, as well as flinging sweat on others. I guess mention it to gym staff or move to another machine.