Working out at the Gym / how to tell someone they smell

Options

Replies

• tephey
    tephey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can't believe she didn't move. She had to know you were doing all that because of her. Sounds like she is just as hard headed as you. If I was her and you started all that, I for sure wouldn't have moved.
  • 1182sheep
    1182sheep Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Some people would not be able to handle even a gentle tactful confrontation. "Would you mind terribly starting your work out somewhere else until I finish here? I have a condition and I think that maybe something your are wearing is flaring it up? I will be done in ??? minutes. I'd really appreciate it." Most people know we need to work with one another in a gym. Once I was working out on the eliptical. I was hot in my shorts and tank top. The fans were on or I might have passed out. A tiny little woman came in and turned off all the fans saying she was cold. She'd just slipped out of a pair of sweat pants and jacket. I asked if she could put her her clothes back on to stay warm, because I was possitive that I'd faint if no air was moving. She refused because she was a jerk. I felt like being a jerk right back..but then I remembered thats not who I want to be. I left and went to the swimming pool.
  • 1182sheep
    1182sheep Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe they should all eat garlic, then they would be much healthier and would not smell each other.:bigsmile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Here's what I'd like you to do. This is guaranteed to solve the problem.

Next time you're on your machine and stinkypants comes in and gets on the elliptical next door, act like everything is normal. Then, when she's not looking, you need to remove a $5 spot from your bra. Keep them tucked in your bra cause that's hot btw.

Drop the 5 spot so that it lands right underneath her feet. Temporarily remove your home-made gas mask long enough to gesture to this stank of a lady.

"Excuse me miss? I think you dropped that five dollar bill down there".

Now when she bends down to pick up the five spot, you need to quick get off of your machine, and pull your pants down. Slide your butt crack all up and down her back, sort of like how a dog wipes his butt on a carpet.

When she gets up, slightly irritated, stare intently at the 5 dollar bill and then rip it out of her hands.

"OH SNAP! I guess this was MY five. My bad"

Then slap her across the face, pull your pants up, and head over to the squat cage for some barbell curls.

That is so wrong in so many ways. I'm disturbed anyone even has those thoughts. :heart:
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    we all smell differently and at the gym...nobody is going to smell like flowers even if they got anitpersprent on... infact that stuff stinks really bad to me... would rather smell fresh sweat than that crap... it stinks already then it mixes with sweat..and gives me a headache... so if u need to move or stop and then come back later then do it... but if it smelled like nasty old cloths..then say something to the staff or let it go... it could have been a fluke ... forgot to get clean cloths...cldnt get home...not a big deal...now if she came back in again and same issue..then tell the staff..

last week..i did have to leave the area..this older lady got on a treadmill next to me smelled like she bathed in bug spray and was making me sick..so i just left to do something else..
  • ready4fit
    Options
    There used to be a woman at my gym named Onion Vagina. Okay. Maybe that wasn't her real name, but that's what we called her, because she smelled like she washed her vagina with an onion.

Anyway, some people smell. I just move away. Maybe you could have a stink-off with this woman and teach her a lesson?

OMMMFGGGGG DEAD!
  • ready4fit
    Options
    Seriously, it's a gym. People sweat and at times people smell bad. If it was bothering you that much you should have moved to another machine. I'm certain that after an hour on the elliptical you weren't smelling like a bag of roses either...

The point is she smelt like that BEFORE she got on the elliptical . BEFORE. It's obvious that people smell AFTER a work out but BEFORE is just reckless. Change your gym clothes and wash them.Not that hard to do and obtain your hygiene. not rocket science.
  • ready4fit
    Options
    lol I think it's sad that so many people are telling the OP to 'get over it' and are taking the side of the nasty chick.
    Seriously? Wow. lol If someone smells like crap, they should use the showers available. If it's their clothes that reek to the point where another person can smell it and gags, then they should have common courtesy to skip the gym that day. It's their own fault they didn't bring something clean to wear in the first place. Why should it be everyone else's problem to have to smell musty disgusting clothes just because they don't want to miss a workout?
    Gross. People need some self respect & respect for others.

THANK YOU.
  • sprocket1978
    sprocket1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This^ honestly I find the fact that you put something over your mouth and nose kinda ridiculous and rude. It's a gym, people sweat and sometimes smell bad, get over it. If it bothered you so much you should have moved, not degraded her because chances are she already knew she smelled and you acted like a child about it.
    agree totally...so rude
  • ready4fit
    Options

This^ honestly I find the fact that you put something over your mouth and nose kinda ridiculous and rude. It's a gym, people sweat and sometimes smell bad, get over it. If it bothered you so much you should have moved, not degraded her because chances are she already knew she smelled and you acted like a child about it.

Honestly its ridiculous and rude that I had to endure that horrendous stench! NOBODY should smell like that BEFORE they even work out! It's disgusting. WASH YOUR GYM CLOTHES
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Next time you're on your machine and stinkypants comes in and gets on the elliptical next door, act like everything is normal. Then, when she's not looking, you need to remove a $5 spot from your bra. Keep them tucked in your bra cause that's hot btw.

Drop the 5 spot so that it lands right underneath her feet. Temporarily remove your home-made gas mask long enough to gesture to this stank of a lady.

Now when she bends down to pick up the five spot, you need to quick get off of your machine, and pull your pants down. Slide your butt crack all up and down her back, sort of like how a dog wipes his butt on a carpet.

When she gets up, slightly irritated, stare intently at the 5 dollar bill and then rip it out of her hands.

Then slap her across the face, pull your pants up, and head over to the squat cage for some barbell curls.

please do this... and video it, and post it on here for us....
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, the girl could have forgotten to take her old gym clothes out her bag and then thought that she didn't want to miss her workout and would wear them or whatever.

To best honest, musty old sweat smells don't really bother me. Pungent BO smells bother me more but in a gym I just put up with it. I guess people have different tolerances to things....I'm pretty laid back when it comes to smells (I've worked in care part-time when at Uni for years so I've had to change dirty bums and so forth plenty of times which isn't nice but I'm used to it). So yeah, for me, BO isn't half as bad as the smells I have to smell at work. I'm also one of those people, though, who doesn't get upset if the user before me doesn't clean their machine after they use it. Unless the machine is actually dripping in their sweat, then the way I see it, who cares if I get a little of their sweat on me. After all, I'll be going in a shower and my clothes will be going in the wash when I leave so it isn't a biggie.

If I were you, and I really couldn't take the smell, I'd have just moved. To put your shirt over your nose is going to make the girl feel awkward, is going to make you look kinda strange at best or rude at worst and is also going to make it more difficult for you to work out properly. Things happen in the gym that interrupt our workout, you just have to accept that and move on, really.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Show some class, respect and some sensitivity....don't take it upon yourself to "enlighten" them. Trust me, there IS no "nice way" to tell someone that they smell. The real motivation behind your wanting to tell them is not to help them: it is to make them suffer as you perceived you have suffered.

It is not your job to inform the individual of this: tell the gym staff and they will deal with it. In my opinion, unless the individual asked you for your opinion about it outright *or* if you are a doctor and there may be an underlying medical issue, it is never acceptable to tell another individual such a thing, not matter how unpleasant it may be for you.

Again, let the gym staff handle it.

PS: Yes, one would think that everyone would shower first and show up in clean clothes, smelling naturally deodorized etc, however, this is not life. Changing other people's behavior is not the point: changing OUR behavior and mindset is.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    That would be an occasion where I might just go ahead and say something.
    That is not rude, especially if you are discreet to tell only her.
    If she reacts badly, you could let the staff/manager know about the problem
    They don't want that atmosphere in the gym, either.

I agree.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Just change mahines

Do you work out at the same time everyday with this person?
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hope its not me :sad:
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    agree totally...so rude

I would agree. You don;t own the gym, not up to you to enforce the rules that you see fit.
  • thevikingninja
    Options
    its a gym....people are there to sweat. So, ignore it. Or, if this person just had poor personal hygiene (which I have no idea if that's the case if you've never seen them before) just know to move. Maybe next time you see them it will be different. There could be a good reason, like they just got out of work or forgot to swap clothes in their gym bag. If I smelled bad and knew it, but wanted to get my workout anyway I would be very offended by someone covering their mouth....my logic is why shower before sweating more and needing another shower anyways? That's just me though...
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options

There used to be a woman at my gym named Onion Vagina. Okay. Maybe that wasn't her real name, but that's what we called her, because she smelled like she washed her vagina with an onion.

WTF did I just read?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You could have moved and messed up that perfect calorie burn of yours.. nothing says that you had to stay there and continue.

Also, that chick was prob. really embarrassed by what you did, and that you had to resort to a tactic like that. Unless you are in high school(because that is what my high school students do) act like an adult, and freaking move! You're on the elliptical for an hour... and it takes what? 2 minutes to move? I think you can handle an extra 2 minutes.