How long did you exercise before it got easier?

Options
I am super out of shape. I am way to young to get short of breath running for like 1 minute. My question is how long till it get easier. I try and do sit ups and ab exercise and run but ugh I get tired. I keep telling myself keep going but wen I finally do stop I feel like im going to puke.

Replies

• hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    it gets easier???
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Never when it got easier I went harder =). Best way to do it. You will get there just keep at it.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It never gets easier cause you have to push harder and harder with every lb you lose to get the same results.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    Give it a few weeks, your body is building up your lung capacity, after that it won't be so bad! I started running last summer before I broke my ankle and trust me I know how it feels. Stick with it! It does get easier, but once it gets easier then it's time to kick it up a notch and make it more challenging! Don't let your body get used to one workout! You can do anything with a little determination and willpower! Don't give up(: GOOD LUCK!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. I couldn't run a block when I started running, now I routinely do three miles. It took me a couple months to be able to run without groaning, but you will get there!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Never when it got easier I went harder =). Best way to do it. You will get there just keep at it.

Agree! You will notice that with each day, each week, you will be able to run longer, run faster and then, it may become an addiction for you. The mental aspect of running is amazing! I always feel great after a good run!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. I couldn't run a block when I started running, now I routinely do three miles. It took me a couple months to be able to run without groaning, but you will get there!

I still groan and I am training for a half marathon! Easy is not an option!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It wasn't long at all, just a few attempts. I started with small goals though. Why not start with walking, rather than running? If you set yourself the task of walking 1/2 an hour. And then move on to walking further each time you walk that 1/2 hour, until you're doing the fast pace. Then you can up it to jogging. As for other exercise, start with a few repetitions and then build. It's about starting to move and getting yourself into the habit of setting time aside to do it. After a while you'll find yourself looking for ways to up the intensity because you'll be ready for it.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It will get easier...but why don't you try to start out with exercises that are a little less difficult maybe? You might try walking briskly instead of running and slowly integrating a jog in with the walk switching back and forth until you feel you have more stamina to jog for longer periods at a time.
    With the sit ups, try setting smaller goals for yourself...say maybe 10 the first few exercise sessions and gradually adding a couple here and there until you can do higher reps.
    Exercise is not meant to be comfortable nor is it supposed to totally kill you either. Work up a good sweat, be able to talk but not sing a song or carry on an easy conversation.
    I am not an expert, but some of these suggestions have helped me along the way.
    Take care,
    :flowerforyou:
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. You will find that once you do get used to it, and it starts to get easier, you will find ways to try to make it harder. If I don't ache or hurt I don't feel like I worked hard enough now. Best of luck. Keep at it and don't give up! YOU can do this. If I can, anyone can.
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It took me about 1and a half week to get used to it. My body was hurting like hell. If you are feeling really pukish, start with a simple exercise like walking 30 minutes morning and evening or C25K :) They work wonders for out of shape people.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It doesnt get easier, It took me a couple of months before I was able to continue each day without being so sore, you know the simple things like walking, getting up out of a chair, sore calves and shins, oh and the leg cramps at night! I am serious, but now I walk 10 miles a day and am loving it! I still cant run without thinking I will die, but thats ok! I get to listen to mucic and enjoy the scenery ;)
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I haven't made it to running yet, but I have found after almost 3 months that I can walk farther & faster than when I first started. But you do have to keep pushing yourself to keep your metabolism revved. Keep going, it is so worth it!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    For cardio, i mean it always requires effort.

I find a lifting routine very easy to maintain, and it is very habitual.

So in a sense, if you get a lifting routine started, it will get "easier", in the fact that you will

go nuts when you stop.

(At least from my experience)

Cardio I can always manage to stop.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it gets easier, then you're not trying hard enough.
  • KrazyInLove
    KrazyInLove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sorry not easy but I meant when does it get to the point to I can do more for longer periods of time.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think it gets easier. When I started my 'get healthy' kick back in May-- I hadn't exercised for years, and certainly hadn't run since I HAD to in PE (20 yrs earlier!) I started by just walking, about 2 miles a day... and I got winded. Hills were hard. But within about a month, I was able to up the distance and cut the time. And now, 5 months in, I can walk almost 4 miles in about an hour... I can run about 1.5 miles at a time, and I can do it!!! Swimming has become way easy for me- I do it 4 times a week. So-- IT DOES GET EASIER!!
    Just start with good, fast walks. Shoot for 5 days a week- walk for 30-45 mins. Then work up to some running. If you have too much weight, you may not have proper form when you run and may be doing damage to your knees, feet, back... Do some low impact cardio at home (DVD's, OnDemand) - anything to get ya sweating and get that heart rate up. And it will get easier!! You may actually come to enjoy it (like me!...which I NEVER would have said 6 months ago. Never).
    Go for it-- good luck!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It never gets easier cause you have to push harder and harder with every lb you lose to get the same results.
    Agreed. I was 36 kg overweight and really unfit when I joined the gym. My trainer pushed me hard, way beyond what I thought I was capable of, but I kept at it and after a month it got slightly easier. As the weight dropped my fitness and stamina increased slowly. It took me 3 months till I could do a full press up. As the exercise got easier I made it progressively harder. I still get out of breathe and feel like puking sometimes but the recovery is much quicker.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    I am super out of shape. I am way to young to get short of breath running for like 1 minute. My question is how long till it get easier. I try and do sit ups and ab exercise and run but ugh I get tired. I keep telling myself keep going but wen I finally do stop I feel like im going to puke.

It should never get easier, instead your desire to push yourself further should intensify.

For me, I'm at the stage where I am seeking physical intensity - if I see a set of stairs, I want to run them. If I finish 5km, I do a set of squats. If I do 3rnds of sparring, I ask for a 4th.

Its when your at your last 10% of energy, that you achieve your best results.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i agree with those who say it should never be easy. the better in shape you get then then the more you should push yourself.