I hate gyms and health clubs

Options
Am I alone in not liking gyms and health groups?

I have tried fitness clubs, Salsa, bootcamps, etc. They are all the same. I find gyms really intimidating: loads of complicated machinery; loud repetitive music; the feeling that people are watching you. Even though my figure is OK I feel like Mrs Blobby as soon as I walk through the door. I know it is completely irrational but I can feel the trainers sneering at me. I do not need to be shouted at like I was a squaddie. They should be there to help and encourage people not to show off to their mates.

When it comes to Salsa, Zumba or any of the dance type groups, I am so uncoordinated that my timing is all wrong. My arms up when everybody else’s are down; I turn left when everybody else turns right.

A friend recommended Bootcamp because the groups are smaller. The instructors were OK but the other girls were an unfriendly clique who clearly resented the male instructor even talking to me.

I hate exercising in front of other people. I am sure that there are loads of people like me out there. I prefer to exercise outdoors but the evenings are getting darker and I feel a bit vulnerable.

What do other gymphobics do?

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Seek help? the problem is not the gym, but you. Gym is fine, but your mindset is irrational and not founded in any sort of reality. do you have other social phobias and history of other forms of mental illness? Counselling might be in order.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    No one cares about you in the gym.

Guys may look at you, only because they may or may not think you are hot.

That is it.

Stop making it so personal.

Just go, I went to the gym when I was extremely overweight, no one ever said a cross word.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    My Dear, "phobic" is a word much overused these days. I don't think you are scared of the gym, it's just not your thing, everything is not for everyone. There are lots of other activities and some of them probably way more fun than going to the gym. Just find something you like doing and it will be easier to stick to it. I like using DVDs because I can do them at home and go at my own pace. Perhaps you could try a sport like swimming, check out the YMCA or community centres to see what's going on, just find something you like.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No one cares about you in the gym.

Guys may look at you, only because they may or may not think you are hot.

That is it.

Stop making it so personal.

Just go, I went to the gym when I was extremely overweight, no one ever said a cross word.
    Agreed 100%
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am not gymphobic, the gym is just not for me, so i do all my workouts at home... its no big deal.

if you are running after dark make sure you go to well lit places, wear something bright and make sure someone knows your route and how long you plan to be just in case.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The gym environment is not for everyone. Maybe working out at home is a better option for you!!!
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You will have to work past your fears and insecurities about the gym... I don't go to a gym, but I do go to Zumba classes. In the begining, I was the same, out of step and doing what felt like the opposite of everyone else. I found that if I am close enough that I can see the instructor I focus on her. I started with the feet, got that down, then moved up getting all the moves down. When I started, I was terrified of group classes... Now it is all I will do. You can't beat the energy of a great group instructor or class. For strength training, I do it at home. I put my head phones in and just use the hand weights I have here. They are fairly inexpensive to buy. Just don't quit... You are worth the effort.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Going to gyms and health clubs isn't compulsory. Forget the nay-sayers, if you don't want to go, save yourself the time and money for something you do enjoy. Plenty of people here have achieved stunning results without ever having set a foot in a gym. Do exercise DVDs, buy yourself a set of weights, walk, run, swim, dance - the exercise world is your oyster and you never need have a stranger's naked bottom in your face in the changing room!
  • Ellieus
    Ellieus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also prefer working out at home. It's easier and more convenient for me :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Either you need a gym buddy to train with and motivate you or you need to join a sports club of some sort (eg a running club). Or suck it up and run in the dark on your own. Or get used to indoor fitness in your own home. I kinda feel sorry for those who need to run outside as it sounds wonderful on a summer's evening but horrid on a windy, raining winter's night.

I do dislike gyms/health clubs in general. I can't imagine training in one at peak times when the machines, benches or weights you want to use might be taken and you have to fit your routine around someone else.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Am I alone in not liking gyms and health groups?

I have tried fitness clubs, Salsa, bootcamps, etc. They are all the same. I find gyms really intimidating: loads of complicated machinery; loud repetitive music; the feeling that people are watching you. Even though my figure is OK I feel like Mrs Blobby as soon as I walk through the door. I know it is completely irrational but I can feel the trainers sneering at me. I do not need to be shouted at like I was a squaddie. They should be there to help and encourage people not to show off to their mates.

When it comes to Salsa, Zumba or any of the dance type groups, I am so uncoordinated that my timing is all wrong. My arms up when everybody else’s are down; I turn left when everybody else turns right.

A friend recommended Bootcamp because the groups are smaller. The instructors were OK but the other girls were an unfriendly clique who clearly resented the male instructor even talking to me.

I hate exercising in front of other people. I am sure that there are loads of people like me out there. I prefer to exercise outdoors but the evenings are getting darker and I feel a bit vulnerable.

. I'm intimidated I. The gym I walk a lot and do Zumba at home workin so far x
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Workout at home? sounds to me like your trying to find an excuse not to workout. Get over it!
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use DVDs, youtube videos, the Wii Fit Balance board, Wii Just Dance and do lots of walking.

It saves me money and time, and no one can see my uncoordinated flailing :wink:
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I do everything here at the house. I'm not afraid of the gym, but considering my wife goes to the gym in the mornings, does boot camp at lunch and has a personal trainer twice a week, I see no reason to spend the money on a membership for me. I learn stuff from her and do it all here. Mostly I do DVD workouts (Insanity is drug of choice at the moment) but we also have resistance bands, weights, heavy punching bag, etc around the house. I'm not a social person when I work out, so I'd rather be alone doing it anyway. Just a personal preference.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms as well- I just bike, hike, and kayak in the great outdoors and lift weights at home.
  • AnotherAdventurer
    Options
    Gyms...small rooms densely packed with people, none of them happy and all of them smelly. No thanks! There are plenty of ways to get exercise, many of them a lot of fun and free.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Gyms...small rooms densely packed with people, none of them happy and all of them smelly. No thanks! There are plenty of ways to get exercise, many of them a lot of fun and free.

Lol this is so wrong.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Excercise at home or run/bike. I used to hate gyms, mostly cos i thought everyone is gonna be hot, ripped and oily and i will be the disguisting wobbling blob of fat.
    Small local gyms are awesome, cos you get to know the people you work out with and the trainers.
    It's hella motivating, people really rarely oogle you or try to pick you up there.
    t's almost like profesionals at work, down to tipping hats at eachother.
    I love it! Can't afford it and it breaks my heart, but I think it might be matter of finding good gym and not being so self focused but more workout-focused.

Also, hot oily bodies, where did i get that from?! All ranges of people, from very obeese to super ripped.
    And seeing 300+ pounds of human being sweating his/her *kitten* off in run to healthier body and cheering them on ...thats why I dont understand how you can hate gym. It's additional support group.

I need to set paypal for donations for my gym money, i swear, or geting better payed job n.n
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you hate it....dont use it!

You dont need a gym or a group or whatever to get in shape and have fun.
  • NicolaMapp
    NicolaMapp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just figure that I'm better off in the gym than not bothering at all and that is what you should remember if you feel like that. There are many people who don't even bother!!!