Quinoa....please help!

Options

Replies

• proudaunt
    Options
    There are tons of great recipes online but I just wanted to stress that you should rinse it VERY well before cooking otherwise there is a bitter taste. It is a great filler....enjoy!
  • calimon82
    Options
    www.cookingquinoa.net--excellent ideas--I too am new to using it and am loving it!!
  • cali_co
    cali_co Posts: 38
    Options
    I use it as a rice substitute when I make my stuffed green peppers and like it so much better! I also like to make Italian sausage with peppers and onions carmelized with BBQ sauce and put it over quinoa...so yummy! Glad I checked this out so now I can check out all the other recipes!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Feta & Oregano Quinoa Salad :drinker:

By Katzen on June 16, 2012
    Photo

Photo by Katzen
    0 Reviews

timer
    Prep Time: 20 mins
    Total Time: 30 mins
    Serves: 4-6, Yield: 8.0 cups

About This Recipe

"I came across this recipe in a book called Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood, and it was a hit at a family BBQ, using the original cheese; Bocconcini. Bummed out that I didn't take the leftovers home for lunches, I made it again, this time using Herb & Garlic crumbled feta that I had in the fridge - holy bananas, feta took this salad to rock star status! I have two parrots, Merlin and Arwen (featured in some of my pics), and I had to put out two treat dishes for them, as neither would let the other near it! Try it with any good, tasty, cheese, and you'll love it - and if you don't do cheese, marinated tofu would be stellar as well. Use your imagination! One thing I can say is that when I made the salad with Bocconcini, maybe it was because I didn't marinate it, I served it immediately, but somehow, that very mild cheese just didn't do the dish justice. I sure hope you enjoy this as much as we did!"
    Ingredients

Quinoa
    3/4 cup quinoa ( white, red, black, or a combination)
    1 1/2 cups water
    Dressing
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano

Page 2 of 3Feta & Oregano Quinoa Salad (cont.)
    Ingredients

1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
    salt, to taste
    pepper, freshly ground, to taste
    Salad
    1 cup zucchini, diced
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup red onions, diced
    1/2 cup baby green peas, frozen
    1 cup red bell peppers, diced
    1 cup yellow bell peppers, diced
    1 cup feta cheese, Herb & Garlic, crumbled or 1 cup bocconcini, Pearl or 1 cup bocconcini, Mini, halved

Directions

Rinse and strain the quinoa to remove the bitter coating. Most quinoa today are pre-rinsed, so check the package, but even so, I prefer to give it one more rinse. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 4 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork. Set aside to cool.
    Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
    Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl; pour the dressing over the vegetables and thoroughly mix. Add the quinoa, and mix until evenly combined.
    Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Page 3 of 3Feta & Oregano Quinoa Salad (cont.)
    Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 (242 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Calories 337.6

Calories from Fat 154
    45%

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 17.2g
    26%
    Saturated Fat 6.8g
    34%
    Cholesterol 33.3mg
    11%
    Sugars 8.5 g
    Sodium 476.0mg
    19%
    Total Carbohydrate 33.9g
    11%
    Dietary Fiber 5.3g
    21%
    Sugars 8.5 g
    34%
    Protein 12.4g
    24%
    Thanks! Some great links here to other recipe sites, appreciate you all sharing them!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I cook it just like brown rice-2 cups organic chicken broth to 1 cup Quinoa. Bring the broth to a boil, dump in the Quinoa, and cook on low for about 8 minutes or so-until you see holes in the Quinoa. Then, stirfry your favorite veggies, add some shrimp, chicken or beef and voila-dinner with leftovers!
  • ChrissyM
    Options
    bump for later!
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    I use it just like I would oatmeal or rice. I cook a big batch and then separate it out for the week.

So do I. As replacement for couscous, as an add on in salads, as side dish instead of pasta, rice, ... with a small splash of soy sauce. Just a great Super Power food. Go look up at the nut facts, it's fully loaded with great nutriments and protein!
  • fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Just got to do a search on any recipe site or this site and tons will come up. Other than just putting on the plate as is as a nice side dish in the way youd use rice... I now put it in meatloaf instead of bread crumbs and we had some cook quinoa left over the night we made chili so we thru some in that. Nice way to up the nutritional value of any dish if it blends in.

Can add apples and spices for a breakfast mush. Can add sauteed onions and some low fat cheese for a mock mac n cheese/cheesy grits type thing. (I serve that with fish a lot) Ive made a pork stir fry with the stuff .. really anywhere you used to use rice give quinoa a try.

Im hooked- just love the stuff. Easy to make, tasty and good for you.
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I make a Quinoa Taboule when I have to bring a salad for a BBQ. So good!

2 Cups cooked and cooled quinoa
    1 Cup chopped parsley
    1/2 Cup chopped scallions or green onions
    2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint (or 1 tsp. dried)
    1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
    1 Tbsp. minced fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
    1/2 Cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. white pepper

Toss together all ingredients. Chill for 1 hour or more to allow flavors to blend.
  • CrimsonBrons
    Options
    Delicious with just about anything. I serve turkey chili over mine. Add some roasted green chiles and some diced jalapenos to the boiling water with some garlic and some paprika, and it will have a great flavor to pair with the chili.
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    from Flat Belly Diet by Liz Vaccariello

Warm Quinoa Salad
    Preparation Time 8 mins cooking time 10 minutes makes 4 servings at 363 calories
    2 cups water
    1 cup quinoa, rinse & drain
    2 cup chopped radicchio (about 1/2 head), plus leaves for garnish
    1/2 cup chopped fresh Cinatro
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1/2 cup fat-free honey mustard dressing
    1/2 tsp salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup cashews, toasted & chopped

bring water & quinoa to a boil
    reduce heat to simmer, cover & cook for about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorded

Transfer quinoa to medium sized bowl
    Add remaining ingredients except for cashews and toss well

3. Divid among 4 plates and sprinkle 2 Tbsp of Cashews over each plate

Enjoy!
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of bulgar for Tabulah & I use it instead of rice for homemade veggie burgers.

It's great as a pilaf, I use it just like rice. Rinse it, let it dry for about 15 minutes on paper towels then toast it in a saucepan with a tiny bit of oil and onion/garlic etc & use chicken broth for the liquid.

**make a larger batch and keep it in the fridge for an easy already made side.
  • fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of bulgar for Tabulah & I use it instead of rice for homemade veggie burgers.

It's great as a pilaf, I use it just like rice. Rinse it, let it dry for about 15 minutes on paper towels then toast it in a saucepan with a tiny bit of oil and onion/garlic etc & use chicken broth for the liquid.

**make a larger batch and keep it in the fridge for an easy already made side.
    mmm
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Bumping here as well, never tried before but I'm so keen!
  • ast9
    ast9 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find this recipe really good - I add a little bit of balsamic vinaigrette to give it a bit more flavor

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/quinoa-spinach-olive-dried-tomatoes/
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day - yum. It is now my new fav quinoa recipe

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Southwest-Quinoa-Salad.aspx
  • Crippalish
    Options
    I use it instead of rice with stirfries so at the end when I put in bok choy or baby spinach I put the cooked quinoa in to get the flavour of the sauce through it. So yummy!