How to curve night time munchies?

Options
I do really well during the day controlling the food I eat but come 8pm I want to eat all junk food in the house. Any ideas on how to curve this sweet/salty craving after 8pm?

Replies

• angielovesherfamily
    Options
    bump...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I do really well during the day controlling the food I eat but come 8pm I want to eat all junk food in the house. Any ideas on how to curve this sweet/salty craving after 8pm?

One method of tackling this would be to save some calories by eating slightly less calories during the day, so that when your 8pm craving hits, you have calorie space at which point you can just eat something and enjoy it.
  • herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue. I found that I don't bring the bad stuff into my house. So if I did want 'something' it would be something healthier if I was really hungry and not just craving junk food.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options

One method of tackling this would be to save some calories by eating slightly less calories during the day, so that when your 8pm craving hits, you have calorie space at which point you can just eat something and enjoy it.

this is what I do..I absolutely have a bad night if I can't have some sweets (small portion) while watching TV at night. I don't sleep well either.
  • josiecaps
    Options
    Keep sliced up veggies on hand at all times. Some low fat Ranch dip makes it go down a bit smoother. :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day and make sure there is a dessert or after dinner treat. Also, drink a glass of water. If youre still munchy in 15 minutes, have a treat.
  • mrsshields
    mrsshields Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way!!! UGH I hate it! All those goodies are sooo good! :tongue: But I need to stop!
  • MANdown_145
    Options
    i go to bed early, hard to eat in my sleep.:)
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Don't have any of that crap in the house. Only keep fruits and veggies around. This way when those night hunger pangs hit, you only have fruits and veggies. Drink water. Brush your teeth. Do something else to occupy yourself.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I try to save enough calories to have dinner and then a snack or two. I'm big on snacking and planning for that has been HUGE as far as keeping myself on track. On those days that I'm a bottomless pit, I make a bowl of popcorn with my air popper and usually get sick of chewing by the time I've hit my calorie limit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Don't buy them.
    2) More self control/discipline.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    i go to bed early, hard to eat in my sleep.:)

I have struggled for MONTHS with binge eating at night....this guy said it best!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    if you want to curve them, just use a curving approach when you bring it to your mouth...

if you want to CURB them...do what this dude said...
    1) Don't buy them.
    2) More self control/discipline.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat my meal at noon and leave the rest of the afternoon for snacking on whatever I want within my calories
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i am the same way...but what i have been trying is when they hit...drink a glass of water...wait 20 minutes, if i still feel hungry then i have a snack.....i usually allow myself extra calories so i can do that OR if i do go over calories i just burn extra to make up for whatever i went over so it evens out.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Don't have them in the house. Set up your environment for success. Willpower is not enough. My husband helped me in my weight loss journey by cooperating with this and he said no snacks in the house. He decided it was better for him too and since he didn't need to lose weight he said he would go out and get a treat when he was out and about if he wanted one.

My story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout and here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now

Best of luck to you! Bobbie
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. :( I'm never hungry during the day, but I am very much so at night. ;(
  • sweetygirl117
    Options
    get little amounts.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My strategy:

Brush your teeth earlier. It tells your body/brain that your eating time is over. Works for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sidesteel about saving calories. That's what I do. My nightly dessert is something that I look forward to each day, then it's the last thing I eat.