Replies

• mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat 94% fat free popcorn slowly.
  • izenzo
    izenzo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Besides saving a few calories, or brushing (and flossing)...what I have done is have peppermint or spearmint gum. If you chew that, anything else after would taste bizarre. :)
  • neasha27
    Options
    fasting during the day has helped me with this issue.....my eating window is now from 3:30-7 or 8 so now I no longer have that issue. Been doing this for 3 weeks now and it works FOR ME! I will have a snack during the day if I want.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Usually by this time, i have plenty of water and have a big decaf tea. And if i am really really hungry, ill have one slice of whole wheat or 12 grain bread with either jam, or peanut butter. I eat it slow . If nothing else works, go to bed early!
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do really well during the day controlling the food I eat but come 8pm I want to eat all junk food in the house. Any ideas on how to curve this sweet/salty craving after 8pm?

After I eat dinner and I get the munchies, I put a piece of gum in my mouth. It has helped a lot.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    if you want to curve them, just use a curving approach when you bring it to your mouth...

if you want to CURB them...do what this dude said...
    1) Don't buy them.
    2) More self control/discipline.

This is awful advice. If it was as simple as "use more self control/ discipline" then none of us would have ANY weight problems!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    if you want to curve them, just use a curving approach when you bring it to your mouth...

if you want to CURB them...do what this dude said...
    1) Don't buy them.

This is awful advice. If it was as simple as "use more self control/ discipline" then none of us would have ANY weight problems!

Simple does not necessitate easy. If you don't have the self control to not eat it, have the self control to not buy it.

You may not like it, but at the end of the day, it really is about your own discipline and self control.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I keep rice crisps around... they crunch like chips and they have all these awesome flavours now! My problem is not 8pm... it is my body waking me up at 2am to eat! Sometimes I sleep eat and discover the open wrapper/bag/package in the morning. I don't do it every night... thank goodness.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    I do really well during the day controlling the food I eat but come 8pm I want to eat all junk food in the house. Any ideas on how to curve this sweet/salty craving after 8pm?

Don't have them in the house. Set up your environment for success. Willpower is not enough. My husband helped me in my weight loss journey by cooperating with this and he said no snacks in the house. He decided it was better for him too and since he didn't need to lose weight he said he would go out and get a treat when he was out and about if he wanted one.

My story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout and here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now

Best of luck to you! Bobbie

What are YOU selling??

I have been wondering the same thing! You KEEP linking that "story" in your posts. MFP is not meant for self promotion.

I don't think she's selling anything. Just proud of her achievements and want to inspire others - nothing wrong with that!
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too! Last night I got Chipotle, ate the entire bowl and felt full...But then an hour later I started watching a movie and subconsciously ate a quarter of a big bag of Doritos that my boyfriend was snacking on. I didn't even think twice about it until afterwards when I asked myself "Were you really hungry? Or are you just a creature of habit?" I swear, chips and processed foods make you hungry, so even though I had just had dinner AND Doritos, I still felt hungry. I drank some tea, which took the edge off, but then I brushed my teeth. I've decided that I'm going to start brushing my teeth RIGHT after dinner instead of right before I go to bed...I think it will help a lot, food is never as appealing when you have the minty taste in your mouth!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My strategy:

Brush your teeth earlier. It tells your body/brain that your eating time is over. Works for me.

I do this too. brush, floss, and rebrush...all that keeps me pretty motivated to keep them clean. :)
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    I agree with Sidesteel about saving calories. That's what I do. My nightly dessert is something that I look forward to each day, then it's the last thing I eat.
    [/quote

I have the same problem and had dessert as the last thing I ate. I made sure it was crunchy and sweet because that is what I crave most!
  • kdrumwri
    Options
    When I get hunger pangs or sweet cravings, I usually drink hot tea. There's something about the warmth that helps. My favorite kind is Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Chamomile. Other times I'll have decaf coffee with stevia and sugar free creamer too. It usually satisfies my sweet tooth/cravings without going crazy :)
  • grammiejul
    grammiejul Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a hearty breakfast helps with my night time munchies. Your bio-clock is set to knowing it will not be fed until after you fast during sleep. Once your body knows that you will get substantial food in the morning, you will not be so hungry in the evenings. A small, healthy snack hours after dinner is enough.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We make kale chips at my house. I rip several kale leaves into bite size pieces and place them on a cookie sheet so that they don't overlap. Be careful to remove the stem - it gets very bitter when baked!!! Next I mist the kale leaves with my olive oil mister and season the leaves with sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bake at 275 for 20-23 minutes.

The chips are low in calories and fat and gets rid of that chip craving for me. Just go easy on the salt! A little goes a long way!

Kale Chips Nutrition Info: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-kale-i11233
  • valeriepulliam
    Options
    I struggled with that issue also but what helps me is brown bag macrowave popcorn with no butter in the bag. After I pop it spray zero calorie popcorn butter and alittle popcorn salt. Also eat fruit or carrots. And I don't keep alot other alternative in my house to call me to eat them.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! I get the 100 calorie packs! Try just eating half. For sweet, get the 100 calorie packs of kettle corn! delish!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1) Don't buy them.

what a wonderful source of support you are. NOT!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We make kale chips at my house. I rip several kale leaves into bite size pieces and place them on a cookie sheet so that they don't overlap. Be careful to remove the stem - it gets very bitter when baked!!! Next I mist the kale leaves with my olive oil mister and season the leaves with sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bake at 275 for 20-23 minutes.

The chips are low in calories and fat and gets rid of that chip craving for me. Just go easy on the salt! A little goes a long way!

Kale Chips Nutrition Info: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-kale-i11233

I LOVE kale chips!
  • 814Jojo
    814Jojo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I find that if I can distract my mind, even for a few minutes, I'm okay. This year I took up knitting. When I get the munchies, and I'm not really hungry, I pick up my knitting while watching TV. If that doesn't work, I'll find a quick exercise for the commercial break. Maybe scoot my bum off the couch or chair and lift myself with my arms or do a few sit ups or jumping jacks or something that gets my body going and changes the direction of my mind.