Anyone with Depression/Anxiety

Options
I have suffered from depression all my life and Anxiety in more recent years. How do you deal with taking care of yourself when you have moments that you just cant give a damn. I was on antidepressants but they made me apathetic and tired so I gained more weight by just laying around all day. Im off now so I am losing weight but then I will have a bad couple of days were I just dont care. What are your ways to cope with depression??

Replies

• ravenwcatz
    ravenwcatz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always try to remind myself that, once I drag my butt out of bed and work out, I'll feel better. And I do. Easier said than done, of course, since I usually hit a wall after a few weeks or months and go back to bad habits, but it's a good motivator for awhile. I also keep a supply of B-vitamins and L-Theanine on hand. The B-vitamins help me fight off depression and Theanine is a derivative of green tea that can help with anxiety. If I can't seem to motivate myself on my own, I make sure to start taking my vitamins again, and it helps. You can find both of them at Whole Foods if you happen to be interested.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have PTSD that manifests as extreme levels of anxiety, depression, and flashbacks. I've been off and on meds for years depending on my state of mind and what's going on in my life. I'm off them for now.

What helps me is journaling and making self-care a priority. I don't mean just working out but also paying attention to how I speak to myself and making time for things that I like. For example, one of the best things anyone ever suggested to me was to speak to myself as if I were 5 year old me. What would you say to a five year old if she were upset? Chances are you wouldn't berate her, call her stupid, lazy, etc. You would be encouraging and kind. And as for self care, I make things like getting my hair done or buying a piece of clothing a priority every month because those are the things that make me feel better about myself and when I feel better about myself it's easier for me to battle depressed and anxious thoughts.

I also recommend the Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Workbook. DBT works much better for me than cognitive therapy.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "They" always told me. Gee just eat right, exercise and get sunshine.

When you suffer from depression for many many years it becomes very difficult to just "cheer up" like other people think you should do.

The only advice I have for you is to make working out a BIG part of your daily routine. Make eating right a BIG part of your routine. It won't fix things over night and it won't prevent every episode of depression, but it will give your mind a new "hobby". Your brain is use to the chemical levels of depression. Pills help change those levels, but diet and exercise can make it a permanent and healthy change. Eventually your brain will crave what it gets from a good sweat and some kale instead of too much sleep and junk food.
    Don't beat yourself up if you slip into a bad mood. Just know that you can make them fewer and far between if you keep at it.
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    What a great topic to start! I too try to focus on what I know will help my body when I'm in a good state of mind. So getting the workout schedule in place helps - and I try to really embrace how good I feel when the work out is over as motivation for the next time.

I have learned to read my body a little - if I drink wine at night, even 1 glass at dinner, it tends to make me more drowsy in the morning & less likely to get up & work out. So, when I know i'm a little depressed already - I don't drink. Alcohol affects & can make depression worse.

There are other nutritional things to read up on & pay attention to your body. Sugar can be not so good in big quanitities - it does affect my emotions & hormones - so I try to stear clear of sugary treats in general. I know that I'll crave them more once I eat it - and then I'll go through the emotional rollercoasters. Knowing that in advance helps me say no in the moment of temptation.

Jillian Michaels did a book on Master your Metabolism - and there is a lot of helpful nutritional information online regarding balancing hormones & emotions holistically.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have learned to read my body a little - if I drink wine at night, even 1 glass at dinner, it tends to make me more drowsy in the morning & less likely to get up & work out. So, when I know i'm a little depressed already - I don't drink. Alcohol affects & can make depression worse.

This! I'm avoiding alcohol more now due to being on a diet anyway, but if I feel down or panicky I avoid drinking much/anything.

I have had anxiety and depression for many years and am still on antidepressants. I'f made it my goal this year to make sure I get motivated. I will make sure I set an alarm and get out of bed. No staying in bed just because I don't want to go out and be near people and be by myself. I usually find that the first part is the hardest. Also, I remind myself that chances are if I don't go to uni/gym I will probably feel worse about it afterwards, so it's not worth missing it for the short term because my depression is trying to stop me.
    If after a hard day, you feel worn out and down, i find a shower and a cup of warm milk works wonders just to calm me down and relax a bit. And I try not to think too hard, because then I worry...but that's easier said than done!!

In terms of dieting and exercise though, I focus on the goal a bit more. I don't particularly like being restricted to 1200cal a day, but what I do with it is try to eat well, find healthy foods i enjoy and remind myself of how great it's going to be when I lose that final few kgs (:
    I also treat myself to clothes/a book/something nice every so often.
    I'm actually making a lot of progress lately in learning to take care myself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6iaq5ySj01qke924o1_500.png
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lots of vitamins/supplements, working out in the morning vs night, talking to friends, snuggling babies, taking walks in the fresh air.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    After being on and then off antidepressants for quite some time I came to the realization that life, for me, is better with them. Nothing and I do mean NOTHING would make me feel better when I was in a depressed state and I just realized that life is too short to live that way. You mention side effects from the medications you were prescribed....did you ask your Doctor if you could try something else? Sometimes it takes a few tries before you find one that works for you but when you do it'll be like you've come alive. Trust me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Suffered clinical depression since the age of 13, and have been on various medications since then, but have tried to avoid them for sometime as there is uncertainty as to whether I have bipolar and I had some really nasty, frightening side effects from some of the medications I was put on. I also suffer panic attacks and anxiety disorder, social anxiety and OCD. Life can be very difficult. When it is good, I make the most of it, but when I slump, I slump to the point of becoming suicidal and seeing no future at all. I find working out can help, but only when it hasn't hit its worst points, at which time little seems to help at all. I am currently in one of the worst slumps I have had in a long time, due to splitting with my bf and a combination of other things, including battling a few issues with eating disordered behaviour. It can be a very lonely experience, depression.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Suffered clinical depression since the age of 13, and have been on various medications since then, but have tried to avoid them for sometime as there is uncertainty as to whether I have bipolar and I had some really nasty, frightening side effects from some of the medications I was put on. I also suffer panic attacks and anxiety disorder, social anxiety and OCD. Life can be very difficult. When it is good, I make the most of it, but when I slump, I slump to the point of becoming suicidal and seeing no future at all. I find working out can help, but only when it hasn't hit its worst points, at which time little seems to help at all. I am currently in one of the worst slumps I have had in a long time, due to splitting with my bf and a combination of other things, including battling a few issues with eating disordered behaviour. It can be a very lonely experience, depression.

*hug*
  • LNZimmer
    Options
    ugh...i know I should be on meds, but I don't have insurance. and I make too much for any sort of help. it blows. i have struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a child.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You could try switching meds if you have a severe case... otherwise, I might try some cognitive therapy - you just have to be motivated to do it and stick with it. If you google "panic attacks and anxiety" on amazon, you can get plenty of self-help books that really do help if you don't have insurance/for some reason can not do therapy.

Reach out if you need help!
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You could try switching meds if you have a severe case... otherwise, I might try some cognitive therapy - you just have to be motivated to do it and stick with it. If you google "panic attacks and anxiety" on amazon, you can get plenty of self-help books that really do help if you don't have insurance/for some reason can not do therapy.

Reach out if you need help!

I have just started cognitive-behavioural therapy sessions with a counselor and it's going really well (: I find it more useful that 'just talking' (i don't know the name of other talking therapies!), although it can be a little more challenging. I would personally recommend it for those suffering anxiety or depression.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from depression all my life and Anxiety in more recent years. How do you deal with taking care of yourself when you have moments that you just cant give a damn. I was on antidepressants but they made me apathetic and tired so I gained more weight by just laying around all day. Im off now so I am losing weight but then I will have a bad couple of days were I just dont care. What are your ways to cope with depression??

i work out. that is how i cope with it.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I make myself not have negative thoughts. I was on anti-depressants for many years and had the same problem. I have days where I just don't feel like working out, but I MAKE myself go and feel better afterward. It's all about pushing yourself.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. I too have struggled with anxiety and depression my whole life (I’m actually bipolar, but that just throws an extra manic kink into the mix.) I hate being on meds as well, I have xanax for the extra debilitating panic attacks, but I only need to take that once a month if not less often.

The way I deal with it is I pretty much force myself to work out almost every day. I find it helps my mood tremendously, not just the day I exercise, but I find I get less depressed in general. There are days I feel like I’m literally forcing my gym clothes on against my will and coercing myself not to turn the car around at every stoplight, but once I’m there and my workout is over I feel better. There is some science behind that too; there have been scads of studies that show exercise can significantly reduce depressive episodes.

There have been some days I say “ef it!” and don’t do any exercise, eat everything in sight, and sit around on the verge of tears for the day, but I find if I indulge in that behavior I only feel worse the next day and it just snowballs after that- soon enough I haven’t showered in days and have ignored 3 dozen calls.

It takes a lot of willpower, dedication, and ignoring what your mind/body is saying, but it’s the only thing that really works for me. You also have to be able to know when things are getting out of hand and need some medical assistance to get out of it, there have been many times I know I need to get back on meds for a while to reset my sense of 'normal.' If you tell your doctor you don't want it to be long term medication, they'll often work with you to find a med that won't have terrible withdrawals when you start tapering off.

Good luck!
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I too can not function with meds, and I am at peace with that. I still though suffer my ups and downs because my Doctor was very careful not to overmedicate me which can make you apathetic.

When I was in a good place one day I talked to my husband and explained what he could do, and the things I need to hear when I was "down". When it does start to happen he is quite good at helping motivate me into the fresh air and moving my body. This is why today I feel terrific enough to really start focusing on ME and getting strong and healthier.

It's a struggle. What works now may not work in 6 months. I believe it is proven science though that if you do workout it will help lift the depression you struggle with.

*Hugs* Good luck.
  • TheGlitterFox
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been struggling with anxiety and depression since I was very little. This last year, I tested out a few different medications and ended up gaining 20 pounds. Never again. I loved reading everyone else's responses and I plan on looking into the reading materials and supplements mentioned.

My goal is to get my body and mind as strong as it can be through clean food, yoga, cardio, and self-love. I LOVE the idea mentioned above about talking to yourself with the same kindness and consideration that you would speak to a 5 year old with. I've been working so hard every day to turn the bully inside my head into a loving + supportive friend.

Motivation to work out and eat clean can be a hard thing to come by when you have depression/anxiety and what's been working for me is my reward system that I have set up. When I lose certain amounts of weight (small increments), I'm going to treat myself to things like a new pair of heels, getting my hair colored, crest white strips, and a couple other things.

Also - I agree with everyone who mentioned avoiding alcohol. Once I get physically and mentally stronger, I will definitely celebrate with a drink (hopefully something that comes with an umbrella). But until then, alcohol has shown to be disastrous every time I have it, even if it's just a beer or small amount of wine.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    After being on and then off antidepressants for quite some time I came to the realization that life, for me, is better with them. Nothing and I do mean NOTHING would make me feel better when I was in a depressed state and I just realized that life is too short to live that way. You mention side effects from the medications you were prescribed....did you ask your Doctor if you could try something else? Sometimes it takes a few tries before you find one that works for you but when you do it'll be like you've come alive. Trust me.

My thoughts as well.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression for about 10 years and anxiety for about 5. I am on zoloft to manage it.

However, I do have bad days, and what I tend to do when bad days come is cry, scream, cry some more, cry than sleep. Typically the next day I am better. What that boils down too is that you have to let it out, somehow. do not keep the feelings bottled up, let them out however you need.