Need Ideas for Eating Healthy with Hectic Schedule

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I hope whatever kinds of snacks you choose, you also choose to be safe. Distracted driving is responsible for lots of deaths every year. I think fatigue, cell phones and texting are the worst, but apparently food and drink can be issues as well. Anytime you have only one hand (or no hands!) on the wheel it is a risk to yourself and others. Have you ever had a tire blow out on you? Or had a tire blow out on a vehicle near you? It's hard to maintain control even with two hands on the wheel.

Before everyone gets mad at me, I'll just let you know that not only am I a single mom concerned about dangers on the road, I am also a professionally trained tractor trailer operator. I have a sense of humour about almost everything except unsafe driving.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I bought my lunch today at a gas station. I was back at my desk in about 15 minutes. Here's what I had:

hard boiled eggs
    celery and carrots
    ranch dip (I know, not that healthy)
    chocolate milk
    string cheese

I know not every gas station has fresh veggies and what not, but if you look for it, you can usually find something healthy just about anywhere you go.

Of course, you can also pack your lunch.

At the grocery store, produce sections and delis are great places to find pre-made salads, cut up fruits and veggies, and snacks that are generally easy to run with.

Frozen food sections also have lots of veggies... just heat them up and eat them. No real effort to cook there.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I prep on Sundays for the rest of the week. This keeps me on track and even gives me more time during the week. I usually only eat dinner as I fast during the day .. but here is what I do.. hope this helps.

Routine:
    Sunday:
    -Shop for
    ----Veggies (onions, Broc crowns, frozen peas and carrots)
    ----Proteins: Chicken and beef for stir fry and Steak NY Strip
    ----Rice if needed
    ----Yakisoba noodles
    ----Canned Tuna
    ----Eggs
    ----Bread (Whole Wheat)
    ----Nuts for snacks
    - Prep
    ----Cut up all veggies into separate containers or zip lock bags
    ---- Cut up chicken and beef again separate containers
    ---- Hard Boil Half the eggs for snacks

Mon: Chicken stir fry with Rice
    Tues: Tuna fish sandwiches with Nuts .. or pop chips.
    Wed: Beef Stir Fry with noodles
    Thurs: NY Steak and eggs
    Friday: Eat out somewhere
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, nuts and dried fruit are good too
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Chipotle near you? I love that their meat is free of added hormones and antibiotics, and when you get it without rice or a tortilla, salads/bowls are generally less than 600 calories and loaded with protein.

Chick-Fil-A also has grilled nuggets. 16 chicken nuggets have 68g of protein!

I don't know if you have a refrigerator at work you can use, if you do, get convenient fruits/veggies and dips. I just have a mini fridge so I get individually wrapped bags of carrots to leave here, and I get Chick-Fil-A ranch packets that can sit out. Each morning I bring with me a tupperware with grapes, sliced cheese, and whole grain crackers. It def keeps me full.

Hope some of this was helpful!