Make Sure To Check Your Packaged Food!

Options
Rachel223344
Rachel223344 Posts: 9 Member
I really felt the need to share this with people.

We're constantly eating packaged, and processed foods. A lot of the time this isn't all that bad. But a few months ago, I opened a package of raspberries that had been imported to Canada from California, and found a poisonous scorpion in it. I've just recently posted the picture I took online.

Have a look: http://www.buzzfeed.com/rweldrick/scorpion-found-in-raspberries-3d1l

The point of this post is just to get you all to double and triple check your food very closely before you eat it. And never hesitate to let a company know that the quality of their food isn't meeting an acceptable standard.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Sweet, free scorpion!
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    ew yeah, i saw a picture the other day and it was a HUGE spider in with packaged bananas
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh man that is gross!
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Its so tiny and cute! But where's its head...?

(That's what she said)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

We're constantly eating packaged, and processed foods. A lot of the time this isn't all that bad. But a few months ago, I opened a package of raspberries that had been imported to Canada from California, and found a poisonous scorpion in it. I've just recently posted the picture I took online.

I don't think there are any poisonous scorpions
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Damn. Crazy!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    This is why I rarely buy grapes, and if I do, I make someone else wash them HAHA
    I also check my bananas in the store.

I am slightly weird :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    From what I can see of the box, those may have actually come from Mexico.

I always check my fruits and veggies for critters before I eat them. I've never found any scorpions, but I did find a live worm when I was shucking some corn once. At least I knew it was fresh!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it would be tough to miss a scorpion in my bag of fruit.

Just a thought.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I think she meant that it could have stung her. I don't know if it would have killed her or made her ill, but they're not exactly the most friendly or safe creatures.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I think she meant that it could have stung her. I don't know if it would have killed her or made her ill, but they're not exactly the most friendly or safe creatures.

that doesn't make it poisonous
  • Techn0mancer
    Options
    I buy ground beef in bulk (~14lb rolls), portion it into patties and freeze them.. while I was portioning my ground beef out last night I found a toothpick in the middle of it
  • chivalryder
    Options

that doesn't make it poisonous

No. I'm sure she could have eaten all of it but the tip of the tail. Yummy protein!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Actually, a scorpion would be considered venomous, rather than poisonous.

Sorry about your raspberries. Did you still eat them?
  • wellbert
    Options

All scorpions have venom. The particular one she posted is actually one of the more venomous scorpions.
    Quick and dirty trick: Smaller the claws, more venomous the scorpion.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Sweet, free scorpion!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wellbert
    Options
    PS - it totally has its head. That is a fully intact scorpion.
  • valolerie
    valolerie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Still have the scorpion? I can think of some uses for it..
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Stung by that scorpion would of been like a bee sting.

But finding bugs or what not in your veggies or fruits should be something you must be aware of. These things live in the environments which we get our food/ their homes. When I find one I remove it alive or dead, wash the fruit and veggie and move on. No real big deal. Its Life.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how you could miss that while washing your raspberries.

You do wash them before eating, right?

Anyway... if this is what you considered "processed" food, feel free to go pick your own and see how many bugs and scorpions you have to deal with.