Replies

• _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Scorasberries!
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Its so tiny and cute! But where's its head...?

(That's what she said)
    Sweet, free scorpion!

I love you guys, whoever you are! :laugh:
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I really felt the need to share this with people.

We're constantly eating packaged, and processed foods. A lot of the time this isn't all that bad. But a few months ago, I opened a package of raspberries that had been imported to Canada from California, and found a poisonous scorpion in it. I've just recently posted the picture I took online.

I don't think there are any poisonous scorpions
    All scorpions have venom. The particular one she posted is actually one of the more venomous scorpions.
    Quick and dirty trick: Smaller the claws, more venomous the scorpion.

I went to one of those reptile/spider guy zoos and he told us that in most scorpions the babies are the most venemous. By the time they grow up it just hurts when they sting you.

And as far as the original post:

Meh. People in other countries think they are delicacies and some people even eat them regularly. *kitten* happens.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Its all good. Just make sure you log it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I went to one of those reptile/spider guy zoos and he told us that in most scorpions the babies are the most venemous. By the time they grow up it just hurts when they sting you.

Sort of.
    It's similar to venomous snakes. Juveniles of the species are more likely to inject full venom, rather than to conserve their venom and use their fans/stingers/whatever as a weapon.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    EEK! That gave me the creeps.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how big that container of raspberries was that you bought that you didn't notice a scorpion?
  • LaurySch
    Options

Sort of.
    It's similar to venomous snakes. Juveniles of the species are more likely to inject full venom, rather than to conserve their venom and use their fans/stingers/whatever as a weapon.

Hm, that makes sense. I wasn't paying him my full attention at the time as he had just fed his snake a dead mouse in front of us. I'm fascinated by the wonders of nature, but I do have my limits when it's played out 3 feet in front of me! And I'm also sad that I have never found an exotic bug/spider/critter in ANY of my food. And the bitty spiders/gnats/cooties on my garden tomatoes don't count!
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Stung by that scorpion would of been like a bee sting.

But finding bugs or what not in your veggies or fruits should be something you must be aware of. These things live in the environments which we get our food/ their homes. When I find one I remove it alive or dead, wash the fruit and veggie and move on. No real big deal. Its Life.

Totally! We live our lives so separated from the source of our food we forget that it was alive - fruit, vegetable, grain or meat. And when we find reminders in the form of bugs or a bit of dirt (potatoes) we sometimes freak out. Bugs and dirt are not typically found in our sanitized grocery stores where everything is packaged. As to the other post about a toothpick in the meat. Welll, at least it wasn't a cockroach!

And while we're at it, writing here in Calgary, just a little reminder that it's what we don't see that can truly harm us. Take for instance the gigantic meat recall due to E.Coli contamination from a meat packing plant just east of us here in Calgary. Largest slaughterhouse/meat packing facility in Canada and it's been caught selling contaminated meat. Currently shut down, and huge arguments in Parliament about government inspections (or not) and not a peep out of the company itself. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to learn that the contamination is from poor practises in the facility. Ironic that food production should be such dirty, dangerous work isn't it?
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a supermarket after school on the fruit and veg department - putting out some bananas one day I found a teeny tiny frog squashed flat at the end of a bunch - it was like a lil froggy star with its froggy fingers splayed out.

That is all.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My first wife found ground glass in her packaged creamed spinach, that I prepared for her.
  • LaurySch
    Options
    My first wife found ground glass in her packaged creamed spinach, that I prepared for her.

What store was that from? I think my ex likes creamed spinach...
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    Stung by that scorpion would of been like a bee sting.

But finding bugs or what not in your veggies or fruits should be something you must be aware of. These things live in the environments which we get our food/ their homes. When I find one I remove it alive or dead, wash the fruit and veggie and move on. No real big deal. Its Life.

This is how I feel. The creature is in the environment where the food is being picked, so I have no problem whatsoever in washing the veggies or fruits and eating them. It's when you find things that have NO reason for being there that I get grossed out.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sweet, free scorpion!

^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, it wasn't the company's fault, you see. You failed to see the sticker on the raspberry packaging that noted there was a "Free Surprise" within.... There's a kid somewhere who got a dung beetle in their raspberries who would kill to have scored the way you did!
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGross.
  • Techn0mancer
    Options
    As to the other post about a toothpick in the meat. Welll, at least it wasn't a cockroach!

True, it wasn't a roach, but I also don't know who's mouth it had been in or their medical history.. if maybe their gums started bleeding while they were poking around between their bicuspids.. mmm HIV burger! Ya know.. think the roach sounds more appetizing :P