Switching from machines to free weights

Options
2»

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting the hard copy of the book. I have both the hard copy and the kindle version. It is WAY easier to flip around and learn the exercises in hard copy format than digital format. I'm a digital girl..,,I love everything technology ...even most books...except that one lol.
    I had considered that but I bought the kindle one anyway. Having it on my phone makes it much easier to find time to read it. I wanted to start reading right away and I also have a 10" tablet that I can use when I get to the exercises to see them on a big screen..

The paperback was $4 cheaper with free 2 day shipping, so I may end up getting that as well. .
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Read the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

This. And you could give this a look too http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Free weights are so much better for you as they dont restrict the natural movement of your body and allow your muscles to work not only in the intended range but also the stability range. The smaller muscles will be working hard as well. Plan to be sore at first.

I would assume that any gym that you go too would have a free session with a trainer every so-often, perhaps monthly. Until you have instruction I wouldn't go too nutty trying to self-teach with stading lower-body lifting. I was trained in college track so I have always preferred free-weights and would recommend instruction from somebody who knows how to personally instruct you even on the basics as posture and positioning is important and every person is different with a different gate. It is very easy to injure yourself especially working out those larger muscles such as your quads and glutes.

Kudos on moving away from machines and good luck to you!