Did you give up "yummy" food?

Options
13»

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    There are foods I have pretty much cut out. Snack food cakes, donuts, cinnamon rolls, cookies, frozen custard, french fries, fried chicken, double cheeseburgers, and all you can eat buffets, especially Chinese.

But, there are still foods I eat. Chinese (no deep fried though so no eggrolls), Middle Eastern food, especiially eggplant, even an occasional falafel wrap. Pizza (but usually just cheese or veggie toppings and no more than two slices), beer (once a week), burgers (no cheese, sometimes no bun), and waffles (whole grain homemade).

I don't plan cheat days, but I had a cheat weekend a few weeks ago when I was back in my home state for a couple of days. Even then, I try to limit the damage. So on the day I met with old buddies I had a couple of beers and a steak sandwich, but no fries and no dessert. And when I went out for Jewish deli for lunch with my brothers, I ate the pastrami but skipped the knish, and skipped dinner that night. And breakfast at the hotel was just eggs and toast. No waffles, muffins, or high fat sausage.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I've tried to find ways of making food at home with similar flavor with fewer calories.

Example

My homemade carbonara (same portion size as full size plate at Cheesecake Factory): 750 calories
    Cheesecake Factory carbonara: ~2150 calories

You can do so much more with homemade food than out-to-eat food.

I also replaced full fat chips with baked snacks. Cuts tons of calories, but you still get the crunchy salty fix without all the excess grease and calories.

Long story short, I did not give up a lot of my favorite foods, but I found a way to enjoy them a little differently than before. Eventually, I came to enjoy the homemade versions more than the restaurant versions.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of all 3. The things I can substitute I do. Like for bacon I eat turkey bacon, skim milk instead of whole, zucchini noodles instead of pasta noodles. The things I either can't substitute (or won;'t lol) I have in moderation. Like pop. I LOVE pop BUT I hate the diet stuff and heard it kills you in your sleep or something.. anyway that kind of stuff I'll try to have only once or twice a week. And then of course I have my cheat days =]
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just calculated a normal Olive garden trip for me, and it's around 2500 calories in one sitting...
    and the chili cheese fries I love downtown are more that 1500 calories..
    and my favorite wrap is about 1500 as well..

I will definitely think twice about eating out, now...
    That's CRAZY

Did you give up eating your favorite foods?
    Did you replace them, cut down, or just get rid of them?
    Do you have "cheat" days?

I haven't given up anything. Everything in moderation. You can go to Olive Garden and eat an enjoyable meal for less than 2500 calories. And you can certainly have chili fries for less than 1500. It's not all or nothing.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I haven't necessarily given anything up, but I do think more about how I spend my calories. For instance, the return I get on a meal from McD's just isn't worth the amount of calories I have to spend to get it. However, Taco Bell is usually worth the calories I spend to get it, especially with their fresco menu.

I still eat something sweet every single day, and that helps keep me from "cheating". I just make sure to allow a couple hundred calories for my sweets each day. However, I have found that about every 30 days I have to just let loose and go over my calories, usually by several hundred. It doesn't hurt me long term, but it helps keep me sane.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    And I don't know what you are referring to when you talk about "cheat" days.

I eat whatever I want, as long as it's within my calorie range.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did you give up eating your favorite foods?
    To a certain degree.

Did you replace them, cut down, or just get rid of them?
    I cut down my portion sizes.

Do you have "cheat" days?
    Sometimes. We're all human. I had one yesterday. I went over by 520 calories (my daily is set to 1220), so it wasn't a complete blow out. I just do better the next day. The thing is everything in moderation, deprivation never did anyone any good!
  • martintanz
    Options
    And I don't know what you are referring to when you talk about "cheat" days.

I eat whatever I want, as long as it's within my calorie range.

I think OP meant, days where you purposely just go over your calorie range.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I stopped eating out and learned to cook mainly because of the money. But now I don't go out because when I do I can't help but think "I could have made that, it would have tasted better and cost 75% less!"

I think what I cook is pretty yummy: Eating home made chicken pot pie right now, made a maple glazed pork roast over the weekend, I often make panko crusted chicken that rivals the Italian place down the street.

The best advice I can give you is to invest in America's test kitchen cook books, THEY ROCK!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I will never give up yummy food. I just try to be smarter about it. I spread my calories out through the day, stick to one serving of anything high calorie, and sometimes have a small meal (or two) to fit in a splurge meal. I try to save calories for dessert every night.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The weird thing is, the food that you don't think is yummy right now, gets yummier as you eat more of it.

Not veggies. =( At least for me. :flowerforyou:

There are some veggies that I have tried different times and different ways and just can't stomach them. There are a few that I love, like broccoli and spinach. I have liked them since I was a kid. But there are some that will never be part of my diet. :tongue:
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    The weird thing is, the food that you don't think is yummy right now, gets yummier as you eat more of it.

So true. Your taste buds adjust. I used to hate plain yogurt, now I don't know why I ever thought it was gross.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options

Not veggies. =( At least for me. :flowerforyou:

There are some veggies that I have tried different times and different ways and just can't stomach them. There are a few that I love, like broccoli and spinach. I have liked them since I was a kid. But there are some that will never be part of my diet. :tongue:

Like peas...