I need advice - should I get surgery or not?

Options
I have a bunion on my big toe and it's gotten so big that when I wear sneakers, the pressure causes muscle spasms and pain in my foot. This pain IS manageable but sometimes it REALLY hurts! And usually it hurts AFTER the workout, not during.

The foot doctor has agreed to remove the darn thing but it means I probably won't be walking for 6 weeks.

I JUST started exercising again. I have a history of being lazy and quitting after awhile. It's a vicious cycle. I'm so committed now though and refuse to give up - there's a commitment level that I have now that I really never had before. But I'm still afraid that I will use the foot surgery as an excuse to quit.

BUT I also have a desire to start weight training and I could start working on upper body strength even if my foot is in a big ole boot. So there IS that idea.

I should also mention that we will be moving outside the continental US for a couple years and during that time healthcare might not be quite as good as we have right now.

So, what would you do?

Replies

• jhall1255
    jhall1255 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i would get it removed you can always work on your legs and upper body without standing on your feet. but there is no reason for you to be in pain because what if the pain gets worse and it hurts your working out. it could go both ways.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i would get it removed you can always work on your legs and upper body without standing on your feet. but there is no reason for you to be in pain because what if the pain gets worse and it hurts your working out. it could go both ways.

this
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Get it removed. You can always lose weight with calories restrictions and you can do strength training without being on your feet. Think long term health instead of short term loss.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I agree with this!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'd get it removed because you'll be better off in the long run and might even be able to work even harder once you've recovered. And like others have said you can still work your upper body and should still lose weight even without any excercise if you stick tio your calorie goals.

So I think it's unanimous!
  • mearlie
    Options
    Yes Bernadette it is! I figured there'd be a couple people at least who had a different idea! lol I don't want to do it, but if I don't it's only going to get worse. :(
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes, REMOVE the damn thing! You really think you will keep on working out if you are in pain?!?! Nope. Just get it removed and while you are recovering focus on changing your eating habits.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit anyway. Use the time healing to learn how to cook yummy foods in a healthy way and focus on the nutritional side of weight loss. By the time you are ready to workout again your new eating lifestyle will become habit and your body will be better fueled for you to really start kickin *kitten* on your workouts :)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Get it removed... you could do upper body weights and use the arm bike for cardio. Your future self with thank you :)
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Looks like plenty of good answers so I just want to say the OP's avi pic reminded me of this

supaman-dat-ho-crossfit-demotivational-poster-1261521768_zps52aa2c38.jpg
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other's! have it removed. It will only get worse.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Get the surgery. The pain will likely only get worse.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well! Get it removed, you can do things without standing on your feet plus you could do water aerobics
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of The Jerk, "See a doctor and get rid of it."

The six weeks of recovery will go by fast. And then you'll REALLY be able to give it your all.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Chop that sucker off.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Get it taken care of. Besides the fact that you could do other things for those 6 weeks, when you move, it will be harder to find someone to do it. AND, it will most likely get worse (at least my father's did when he had one). SO, get it taken care of and "out of the way" (PUN intended) and then you can move forward and really GIT IT!!!
  • normastafne
    normastafne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should have the surgery. They should send you home with crutches and a knee walker. The knee walker allows you to get around easily without bearing weight on your recovering foot. So you can still get in your daily walks. Be patient with the recovery. . .and follow your surgeons post-op orders.
    Retired O.R. nurse.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Chop that sucker off.

HAHAA! OK well there yah go, and it's still unanimous!
  • BRudd85
    BRudd85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just had a similar surgery done in July - also had several screws put in. My doctor gave me the same time frame, even put "no walking or standing for 8 weeks" on my FMLA papers. However, after the surgery (and with my dr's permission), I was moving around on my foot well within 2 weeks, walking very easily by 4 weeks, and running by 6 weeks. I am sure that is not everyone's experience, but I have found that the time frame they give you is usually very exaggerated in case you need it. All that said, I would do it 100x over. No more pain which now makes me more prone to exercise!

Good luck with your decision!
  • mearlie
    Options
    brudd, that's good to know, I was thinking 6 weeks was a long time. My friend had a bunion removed and she said she was back on her feet in two weeks. Thanks to Norma the retired nurse, great advice!