I need advice - should I get surgery or not?

Options

Replies

• shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I had this surgery, but when I was quite young ( I have weird feet). I was in a walking cast for a while, but was much better when it was off. MUCH less pain, and I am so glad I did it.

Happy recovery! :D
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Do it! The ONLY thing keeping me from getting mine removed is the fact that I have two small children. When they are older and able to fend for themselves a little bit (maybe in 2 years or so), I'll be getting mine done ASAP! I feel like someone's sticking a needle in my toe, and shoes literally squeeze my feet and make them go numb!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've had that done on both feet.

Doc said no weight bearing activities - but he did say I was OK do to recumbent bike - so I was able to maintain my cardio fitness workout. And you can do all kinds of upper body weigh workouts. Surgery didn't really stop me or slow me down.

I did however have to pretty much toss all my shoes afterward. Nothing fit right. Plus, I was also fitted with custom orthotics after surgery, and those don't work with all shoes.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    sam, I'm not even worried about tossing shoes - I've resorted to flip flops in winter or summer. BC wearing real shoes hurts! I even wore flip flops to a formal dinner last year. OK well they were pretty flip flops but STILL!

Yes I need both feet done but apparently it's one at a time with these people. And one of them is def worse than the other.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've had bunion surgery three times. Twice on my left foot, once on my right. My bones had both slid so far out of place that both of my big toes were out of joint.

All three times it took me about six weeks or so to recover. The first two weeks I wasn't allowed to walk at all... I was to stay layer down as much as possible with my foot slightly raised. Then they moved me to crutches without my foot touching, then crutches with my foot touching, then walking but no running or weight carrying, then back to normal.

Each time I had screws put in place. After about 4-5 years I had to have them removed because they were backing out.

I am *so* glad I got them done. I used to have horrible pain from them.

A result for me, though, is that I had had them since childhood and after the slid the bones back into place the muscles and cushioning in the balls of my feet no longer lined up perfectly with the bones. So it's hard and uncomfortable for me to stand on the balls of my feet. I also can no longer jump because the landing gives a sickening and painful feeling since that part of my feet isn't like most people's.

But I can walk and run fine now and the daily pain I was in is gone. So it was completely worth it.

Get it done, it is on,y going to get worse with time.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had a year in between the two, and one was definately worse then the other. You don't want both at the same time. I was able to leave the hospital both times on crutches. They told me to put as much weight on it as was comfortable. I walked with a cane for a couple weeks.

RumpusP - I will need to have one redone in the next 5-10 years. I've taken up running so I am not looking forward to taking that time off. I completely understand the runners high now!!
  • mearlie
    Options
    Well thankfully mine are not awful, the doc is agreeing to removing one but the other one he's kind of wishy washy about. I know over time it will get worse and they will remove it but I figure I should try to get both done near the same time frame because of the way shoes will fit if nothing else.

Rumpus, yours were way worse than mine. No pins or anything, thank goodness! Sam I think my surgery will go more like your experience.

I really appreciate all the different comments! Even though Rumpus had a lot done in her surgery and she says it's worth it!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it for anything in the world, Just my opinion. I worked for a DPM for numerous years, I respected him a lot and we did a lot of these surgeries. The problem I saw over and over again, was that there were problems then associated with the surgery too. There were physical issues of range of motion, long recoveries, etc etc.

I personally would start with a more holistic approach. Get the weight off, get a routine set and started. I really like www.nwfootankle.com website and dr as he has a bunch of useful information on his website. He used to be a surgery providing DPM, but then decided that in the long run, so many therapies were being missed because surgery was the first option people were taking.
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just cut out the side of your shoe that is rubbing on your toe
  • mearlie
    Options
    I wouldn't do it for anything in the world, Just my opinion. I worked for a DPM for numerous years, I respected him a lot and we did a lot of these surgeries. The problem I saw over and over again, was that there were problems then associated with the surgery too. There were physical issues of range of motion, long recoveries, etc etc.

I personally would start with a more holistic approach. Get the weight off, get a routine set and started. I really like www.nwfootankle.com website and dr as he has a bunch of useful information on his website. He used to be a surgery providing DPM, but then decided that in the long run, so many therapies were being missed because surgery was the first option people were taking.

Interesting! I will definitely take a look at the site, thanks for the information!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing.. I read somewhere that they recommend not working out for 3-6 months after surgery for healing and that put me off right there. Never really thought about just doing weight training on the upper body. I'm no help, just looking at all the responses :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Get it removed! And start working on your list of awesome things you will knock out of the park once that boot comes off :smile:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My sister had both feet done at seperate times - the first one no problem the second one different Dr was a nightmare! She was referred by a friend to a Dr.
    the surgery was screwed up (the Dr's Son did the surgery) up she was in a lot of pain and ended up going to someone else who had to break and reset bones in her foot a year later.

Was a huge relief for her on the 1st surgery which is why she decided to get the other foot done, just make sure you know you've got someone expierenced doing the surgery.

Good Luck!
  • mearlie
    Options
    Anew, only one that says I should not do it out of two pages of responses! I'm just afraid it will be an excuse to get lazy again. BUT like you said, I can start upper body weight training. I bought this book a few days ago called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and the author states that women shouldn't worry so much about bulking up from doing heavy lifting, that weight training is great for building muscle, increasing metabolism, and shaping up. I want to try it but I'm taking baby steps. Diet. Walking. Next Jogging. And then Weight Training. But somehow I have to fit this danged surgery in there and I don't want to!
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I just deal with mine but if the pain is anything like I have then yes - it's worth the surgery.
  • mearlie
    Options
    My sister had both feet done at seperate times - the first one no problem the second one different Dr was a nightmare! She was referred by a friend to a Dr.
    the surgery was screwed up (the Dr's Son did the surgery) up she was in a lot of pain and ended up going to someone else who had to break and reset bones in her foot a year later.

Was a huge relief for her on the 1st surgery which is why she decided to get the other foot done, just make sure you know you've got someone expierenced doing the surgery.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Yes the surgeon is very experienced. I will keep this in mind... if he does a good job on this foot I want to convince him to go ahead and do the other one too.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Get it removed and ask your friends to help get your butt in gear after it has healed. I am the same way but I also have found my running and exercise feet as well as a loooove for exercising. Take care of yourself so it doesn't cause problems down the line. I have had issues with my heal after I started running long distance. I have not let this stop me whatsoever but it has continuously been an issue. Best to take care of yourself for the future and find other things you can do in order to take care of your foot. Swimming and lifting weights are 2 options. :)
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Get it removed. The longer you leave it the worse it will get. There are quite a few different exercises you can do without using your lower body. Here's a couple sitting cardio videos that might help you keep losing weight while your foot is recovering:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KKB5glk9fE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZU2x8wD2f0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIp65nkJLRU&feature=related

Good luck!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Take care of it. If you don't you'll stop exercising altogether due to pain.
    So you're benched for a few weeks. Make a commitment to get right back to it when DR says it is okay. In the meantime, workout whatever muscles you can.
    Good luck!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Anew, only one that says I should not do it out of two pages of responses! I'm just afraid it will be an excuse to get lazy again. BUT like you said, I can start upper body weight training. I bought this book a few days ago called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and the author states that women shouldn't worry so much about bulking up from doing heavy lifting, that weight training is great for building muscle, increasing metabolism, and shaping up. I want to try it but I'm taking baby steps. Diet. Walking. Next Jogging. And then Weight Training. But somehow I have to fit this danged surgery in there and I don't want to!

I'm like you.. I sometimes tend to slack and I think this will set me even more back.. plus I have 4 children.. 2 smaller ones that I will have to tend to often and not sure I will be able to get it done just now. Mine isn't too bad, yet! It hurts here and there and when I do a lot of jumping during a workout. Well if you decided to get the surgery, hope all works out well and let us know on this thread how it goes :)