Show me dramatic weight loss over 50 years old

Options
12346»

Replies

• mkcreek
    mkcreek Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 51 and have lost 43 pounds so far. I too have had a weight problem all of my life. My son's wedding (this past October 5th was a huge motivating factor and I feared I would lose that motivation once the wedding was over. Not even close! I feel so much better and so much healthier and I'm very close to a personal goal weight. It can be done, it just takes a little longer, but it is totally worth it.

On a side note, my students (I teach fourth and fifth grade) can't believe how old I am or that I'm a grandmother. Losing weight has made me look, act, and feel so much younger!
  • crazyforbooks
    Options
    I have just found myfitnesspal, and signed up. I am interested in people over 50 with health issues and their road to success. thank you.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • TasTam
    TasTam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and started this journey on Jan 6, 2012 and have lost 61 lbs so far. I was diabetic and had to take 2 stomach shots a day, 2 cholesterol pills a day and 2 blood pressure medications. I now only take a 1/2 of a blood pressure pill a day. Hopefully, I won't have to take any medication once I lose the other 39 lbs that I'm reaching for. It can be done and you don't have to starve yourself. I typically eat 1500-1800 calories a day and exercise (walking & biking) about 30 min a day. It may be daunting but I'm so glad I just started and now almost a year later I'm in a much better place and am so looking forward to my life!!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, haven't lost 100lbs, more like 40, but the way I look and feel is completely different!

Fatpic_zpsa623a95d.jpg

145lbssize8_zpsf713d77a.jpg

I'm not sure why the 2nd pic didn't work, but you can see the difference in my profile pic.
  • housewhisperer
    housewhisperer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined today, and your story is really inspirational! Thank you for the details you included. I will be 60 this year, my mom was diabetic, and I am on my way there, until now. You have truly inspired me!
  • Bor2
    Bor2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Proper eating, portion/calories control, no junk food, no super processed food, lots of vegetables, fruits and lean proteins is what will help you to lose weight. Exercise is a plus.

Bingo. Exercise is very important for your health. It is something everyone should do. However, for most people, proper diet is far more effective for weight loss, the exception being those who can dedicate a significant amount of time to daily exercise. For most folks it is easier to cut 500-1000 calories from their daily intake than it is to work that much daily exercise in. Eat right, cut the portions and add a sustainable amount of exercise to your daily routine. You'll lose weight and improve your health.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    prdavies has great pics and is 64 with a 100+ pound loss...very inspirational...try searching for his link in the success story area....or send him a friend request explaining why you are interested I think he would share the pics with you (if he hasn't already- I didn't read all the pages in here)...
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not sure if 63 lbs is dramatic enought for her, but it is for me. I still have more to go, but I have definitiely improved my sugar A1C and daily numbers, and have changed my eating habits for the better. More proteins, fruits and veggies, less take out, fried, and fast foods (not gone, but not always tolerated)

Tell her it's not age, its attitude that makes this happen.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Down 100# so far since June of 2011. (Been on MFP since late July 2012)
    52 years old now.
    Cut carbs way down except when I am fueling for a swim longer than 5km. I don't really qualify as a low carb purist. More like reduced carbs and staying away from processed carbs when there is a choice.
    Consistent exercise. Clocked over 500 miles in the pool since January this year. Can't run so I swim.
    Lift weights. Heavy.
    This has all helped me maintain muscle and gain strength while losing the fat.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://dakd0cjsv8wfa.cloudfront.net/images/photos/851/277/31851277_6115_thumb.jpg

This is me in 2010. (Hope the picture comes through, I have never posted one before!)
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://dakd0cjsv8wfa.cloudfront.net/images/photos/851/277/31851277_6115_thumb.jpg

This is me in 2010. (Hope the picture comes through, I have never posted one before!)

Well, that was a bust! How do I get an old pic from my profile into a message???
  • frostyfenton
    frostyfenton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later...
  • Peazwithin
    Peazwithin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started my journey just months before my 50th birthday! I had a wls because I would gain 100lbs, loose 90 lbs, gain 70lbs, loose 60 lbs until I lost my Mom in 2010. Then I just gained it all until I was at my highest, 299! I started in May and with diet and exercise, down 116 lbs. (I joined MFP after I started losing weight so the numbers don't match!) If I can do it, anyone can. But I did need MFP as it is an accountability tool. Just as for me, imho, the wls was a tool. In my head it meant that I would not regain the weight and keep yoyo -ing, the reality is I am doing this one bite at a time. Anyone, anyone, anyone can regain on a weight loss surgery, no mater what surgery one chooses, so make peace with food and establish a good healthy relationship with it because we have to eat! Age is not a factor, it just means it is not to late to make a change for the better and that we are smart enough to do it! Should your friend join, they can add me, I am always looking for ways to pay forward all the encouragement I have received here.
  • Nylrad56
    Options
    Down 143 pounds since February of 2010. I started when I was 53 years old and my philosophy pretty much meant a total change of my life. All for the better, for sure. I enjoy a healthy, low carb way of eating and I exercise much more than I used to give myself the time for. I try to walk at least an hour each day (sometimes six times a week) and usually about a fourth of my walk is a jog. I also do a Jazzercise class (exercise to good music) 5 or 6 times a week.

I have gone from working in an office job to retiring and being able to focus on something of more importance to me now (my health) I have regained control of my life.

Consistent exercise is what it takes and I had to make myself do it in the beginning, but that is because it is so much HARDER when you weigh way too much. I have a lot of loose skin, because I stayed way too big for way too long, but if I can do it, so can you! I feel so much better and can do so much more. Now my exercising is very enjoyable and just a part of my life. Don't wait any longer; only YOU can make the changes you know you need to make in your life to make the most of where you are, what you enjoy doing and your physical health. You will NEVER regret getting healthy and it looks pretty good too :)
  • VAtoNC
    VAtoNC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What % of protein do you ear per day?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!