Do you count vegetables?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kathymisner
    Options
    I understand what you are saying cuz I did ww too. But since I have joined myfitness I started having to count them. I love veggies so I dont mind having to add the calories up. I think you will see better results in the long run if you started counting them.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Count it! A calorie is a calorie, over and over. :) Hell, an avocado is a veggie and the whole thing is usually over 250 calories. ;)

Sorry - Avocados are a fruit.... not a vegetable
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If it crosses my lips....it gets logged. Keeps me accountable and also helps me keep track of my nutrition. So far it is working fine. 39.5 pounds in 85 days.
  • 256Sept12
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING I put in my mouth.

With that being said, I really believe weight watchers works...so if they say veggies are 0 then keep going with that.

I remember back in the day when veggies counted as points, but then they said people were not eating enough during the day..so they made veggies 0 so people will eat them more and have more calorie intake.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are we going to get technical about whether somehting is a vegetable or a fruit? Cos you all know that tomatoes are botanically a fruit, though it would be foolish to put them in a fruit salad. As are many other items we know usually as "veggies".
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I log everything and weigh in grams. You will be shocked to see what your calorie count really is if you do this. I I reset my calories to a lower than suggested number to account for the calories I don't notice. For example the average 35 Kcal in the cooking oil spray (0 cal, my butt). Veggies add up quick. My pear was 150 cal the other day. big surprise.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    IF it goes in then it gets add. Anything and everything need to be counted

Amen!! sister
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it goes in your mouth....log it!!!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I would put them down, as you would be surprised on some of their numbers - my butternut squash had 24 carbs in it!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating 1200 calories but I don't count the vegetables. Wondering if I should start counting. I just feel like vegetables should be consumed often and I shouldn't be concerned with their calories as much (I'm talking cherry tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms...). All in all, I'm taking the weight watchers approach (veggies = 0 points).

Does anyone else not count veggies? If so, are you succeeding in losing weight?

LET ME KNOW PLEASE!

The WW approach sets aside calories in its formula to account for the "0 point" vegetables, so they actually are counted on WW.

However, if you're achieving your goals right now not counting the calories for vegetables, then don't count them. If you stall, reevaluate.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I count them, but I dont weigh them or care if the portions recorded are accurate.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I count all veggies. They do have calories and other nutritional information, ya know.

I understand you're following WW points, so I would suggest that you track all your calories including vegetables for a couple weeks, and then the next couple weeks just the WW points. That way you can see how they compare and work for you.

Or keep track simultaneously and see how they compare.

I count EVERYTHING, even the different drinks I have other then water. I drink Sobe Lifewater and diet soda once in awhile and count them when I do. They dont add anything but, I still count them. Veggies add a little bit so they should be counted.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Not just for carbs, but if you are tracking your macros, at least for that sake you need to log. Say, if you aren't getting enough calcium or iron, you should know to compensate by taking a supplement. Also, if you have a tendency to be diabetic, for whatever reason, you have to be careful about eating certain veggies - carrots, beetroot etc. Good luck!