People thinking you're sick after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• xristysmith
    Options
    Been there..done that..

My mother knows what I'm doing for my fitness goals. (exercise ect)
    but questions it when I lose it..
    Because it is not her way.

I worked a job where I was walking around our building..all of a sudden coworkers noticed I dropped a lot weight.
    Had one co worker tell me I was losing too much..

IN THE END I REALIZED I HAD TO DO WHATS BEST FOR ME..AND SCREW ANYONE ELSE!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    When my ex lost weight, he looked sickly. Extreme calorie restriction and lack of muscle mass can make a person look sickly.

In your case though, it sounds like you should just put a current pic on your website so clients know what to expect and don't think your website is current and you've been dropping weight like crazy.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ha, when I lost weight before there was a rumor spreading that I was on drugs. LOL.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am having some health isuues at the moment, I have a tumour in a saliva gland (don't know yet if it benign or not) - I have been asked if my weight loss is because of cancer, rather than sheer hard work!!

I am determined that I DON'T have cancer and have worked hard for each lb :)

I think people just don't notice the change for a while and then when they really look it seems a sudden change
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I think our society is so used to fatness and obesity and people generally bein unfit and unhealthy that to lose weight and actually be healthier is like there must be something medically wrong with you lol!

This.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My parents , who are morbidly obese and fed me their obese diet when I was home, has described my weight loss as "smaller than you were in high school and it has me concerned".... :facepalm:
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have been asked if I have a drug problem. But I live in Corpus Christi where the obesity rate is 30.2%. Being in good shape and health is definitely abnormal in these parts.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started out at 258. When I was around 190, someone told me I looked 'gaunt' No, baby, no one is GAUNT at 190 pounds

find another adjective.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think its because its more common for people to lose weight either unhealthy or my some sickness. There are only handfuls that are losing by eating right and exercise.

I also think many people want others to stop losing weight because it make them uncomfortable in their own skin as they need to lose weight but haven’t. Basically you are messing up their personal comfort zone by losing weight giving them a complex.

I would just say…. “Nope it’s all form hard work and good food!! Who knew!!??” :wink:
  • mlandrethsf
    mlandrethsf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I was in my best shape of my life (10lbs to go until I get back there!), my sister used to give me such a hard time, telling me that I looked too thin. Now that a couple years have gone by, she tells me how great I looked back then and that she wants to get down to that weight...for real girl? The worst is the people who tell you 'you dont need to lose any weight...you're thin already' when you know you're not. That really gets to me...who does that benefit? When I was 30lbs overweight, I had people telling me that I didnt need to lose when I mentioned that I was trying to improve my diet. People can behave strangely when it comes to weight.
  • Jass_mal
    Jass_mal Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. Before I got married, I was thin, then marriage came and three girls later, and I got to 150 lbs. I recently went down to 123 lbs and there's one person in particular that really annoys the crap out of me the way she says I look. She makes me feel like I look disgusting now that I'm in shape. My mom told me a couple of weeks ago that from the chest up, it looks like I've been sick for the past three months. But ofcourse, I need to not let these things get to me because I have worked hard to get to where I'm at right now. I'm currently trying to gain some muscle. I have decided to exercise for as long as I live, I'm in the best shape of my life, I eat like crazy but in a healthy way, and that isn't enough for people to be happy for me so I just smile and let it go. All I know is they better get used to it and quick because the new me isn't going anywhere.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's a valid concern- rapid and UNEXPLAINED weight loss can be an indicator of illness. But I think it's likely they assume you're sick because they're ALSO assuming you're not exercising. When we think "people who are physically active", there are many jobs, particularly "desk" jobs, that don't exactly spring to mind.

It's interesting to see where people's minds go when they don't know about the intervening information between the "before" image and the image currently presented to them.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Coworker: You've lost a lot of weight! How much have you lost?
    Me: 84 pounds.
    Coworker, with a worried look: Are you ok?
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As long as your nutrition is adequate, don't worry about what people say. I think it's hard for some people to relate to us once we have started losing weight, and getting healthier and they haven't. I guess they just really don't get it.

Keep up the good work my friend!

My words exactly :). As long as you're receiving the right nutrition there's nothing to worry about. I haven't been told I look sick, but I've had some friends say I'm 'starving' myself/look like a twig (I am 5'3" and a cuvy size 4, hah. And I looove my food.), I think it comes down to they haven't yet become more healthy themselves or are a bit uneducated on the topic.
  • Malozing0809
    Malozing0809 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why people do that. My parents say I shouldn't lose anymore weight for fear that I'm becoming anorexic.....They're crazy lol

I think its just initial shock of seeing something new. They just need some time to get used to the change.
    I second that.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I think our society is so used to fatness and obesity and people generally bein unfit and unhealthy that to lose weight and actually be healthier is like there must be something medically wrong with you lol!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you're obese you catch crap, and if you lose the weight you catch crap. sheesh.
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i lost the wieght and got these remarks from everyone. it actually made me very pissed off. i then hit the wieghts and put on about 10 pounds. compared my pictures from being 10 pounds lighter and i have to agree i did not look good. putting the weight back on the "healthy" way made me look more "normal"
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Same thing..my Dr. even asked if the weight loss was planned
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Nobody has said I looked sick... But my mother frequently tells me that I have the build of a 12 year old boy now.

That 12 year old boy must have some serious child-bearing hips.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

This is what I think is part of the issue, too. The other part is horror stories of eating disorders. I do think if you get too thin (marathon runner thin) sometimes you can look a bit haggard in the face, even if you're %100 healthy. This is my personal opinion and very likely it also comes from being raised in an overweight society. I'm used to those plump faces!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!