Keeps breaking chairs. What should I do?

Options
diadojikohei
diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
I run a gaming shop. I have mentioned this before, so don't switch off! This is my problem.

I have a regular gamer who is 6' 4'', he is also very overweight, so far he has broken 4 of my chairs. He broke 2 wooden folding chairs, a solid metal padded conference style chair and a solid office swivel chair. These chairs aren't cheap chairs, they are good quality and I've not had one broken before. We have other large gamers and they haven't broken anything.

How do I deal with this without sounding like I am being size-ist?

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to put a bench in? Like a picnic table type bench?

That's really tough but at the same time, come on. And to be honest....the first time he broke something, you would think that'd be a clue to HIM
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anyway that you can tell him "Dude, stop putting your butt on my chairs and breaking them." without sounding like a size-ist.

Perhaps pull him off to the side and come up with a solution together. I'm sure it's an embarrassing situation for him as well. And I'd just say "Look, I know there's no good way to say this, so please, try not to be offended. But we need to come up with a solution for the broken chairs. What do you think?"
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Nice big bean bag chair.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I'd probably not bring it up to his face to avoid losing a customer. Maybe try getting a bench put in like the person above says...
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    How big is this guy?
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Get a stool maybe? I don't even know what to tell you!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Being sensitive to others' feelings is nice and all, but chairs ain't cheap and you have a business to run and a living to make. I'd search online to see if there is some indestructible chair out there you can order for the guy. Failing that, tell him to bring his own.

Edit: If you have to have that conversation, don't tell him he's too big for the chairs, tell him he's too rough on them.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Nice big bean bag chair.

Could he even get out of a bean bag chair?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It's not a size issue, at all.

"Hi, you've broken four of my chairs. You haven't given me any new chairs. If you'd like to sit down in my establishment, you must bring your own chair or replace the chairs that you have destroyed. You are welcome in my store and are a vibrant part of the community we've built here. I like you personally and as a customer. Please stop breaking my things!"

Where's your store?
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Place a pillow on the floor.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Living XL has chairs rated to higher weights.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just make him pay for it every time he breaks it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This post is too funny.

Don't they have a way to run your computers off the power generated from a treadmill or a bicycle? If so you should replace a couple of your regular computers with those and make him pedal / walk for his gaming. The worst thing that happens is he takes his business somewhere else and you end up with some chairs with a longer lifespan.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Did any severely break when he sat on them? I would think after the 1st 2 embarrassing moments he'd stop?

super tiny stools. Doubt he'd sit on it.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The bench idea is good, or a solid stool - won't have back support or anything so he may not be as good a customer as he has been. Tell him you don't have the money to buy new chairs at the moment (or foreseeable future) and tell him you understand completely if he wants to bring a chair in himself, heck, you can even store it for him :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's not a size issue, at all.

"Hi, you've broken four of my chairs. You haven't given me any new chairs. If you'd like to sit down in my establishment, you must bring your own chair or replace the chairs that you have destroyed. You are welcome in my store and are a vibrant part of the community we've built here. I like you personally and as a customer. Please stop breaking my things!"

Where's your store?

This is perfect.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one, put up a sign of shop policies, one of these should be customers have to pay for any broken items (i.e. displays, furniture, etc.). If he breaks more furniture, politely point out the policies. A gaming shop I used to go to had a problem with young kids horsing around and breaking stuff, so they implemented something similar, it took care of the problem--this situation is obviously somewhat different, but might work.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Realistically if $ profit earned from big guy < $ for chairs, ban him. It's nothing personal just business
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    As a fellow business owner, I can relate. I had a customer break a chair too. It's highly embarrassing and you don't want anyone suing you because they got hurt at your place of business. You have to protect your business, so you'd best reinforce a chair or two for larger customers. When he arrives, kindly offer him his favorite chair. It can be a wooden bench or something sturdy. I know you don't want to lose valuable customers. Business is tough. If you greet him and make it seem like the seat is reserved for him, he'll probably take the hint. Good luck!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    What does he do when he breaks a chair? Leave? Just get a new one?