HCG Diet- thoughts, opinions?

Options

Replies

• nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    Ive tried 500 calorie diets before and never had this much success. There are days I don't take HCG(brand name- Releana), like when I go out of town (because it has to be refrigerated). I'll still do the diet those days, but don't lose any weight.

I'm just trying to lose the weight I gained in college and I am confident when I am done I will keep it off. A lot of people gain the weight back because they go back to their old eating habits. Its a lifestyle change once you are done. You have to work out and eat right and introduce carbs and sugars back into your diet slowly. My doctor told me to get to my goal and then lose 5 more because I will gain 5 back. I gained 30 lbs in the past 3 years, it was not the weight my body was used to. I'm not trying to get skinny, I've always been about a healthy size 8 even when working out and that what I want to get back to.

I used to go to the gym everyday to do cardio and yoga, I just fell off when I transfered to a party school, haha.
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know I'm gonna get **** for this but i actually don't care and I'm simply responding to the OP's question and for others to see this who might have the same questions or experience but don't want to post. I have no intention of further debating this....so that being said,
    I did the HCG drops and lost 30lbs in about 7 weeks. NO I was not starving NO I did not have any side affects except the obvious weight loss and NO this is not for everybody. This particular diet worked for ME and I wouldn't dare push it on anyone else or put someone down for choosing a different weight loss method. Everybody is different!! I have kept the weight off, and actually loss an additional 4lbs, since being off the drops and diet. I have adapted entirely new eating habits and have never felt better. I exercise every single day now...whereas before, I hardly ever did. If done properly, it is extremely effective and absolutely life-changing. But again....it is not for everyone!! But people shouldn't judge others for doing what works best for them and makes them healthier.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Basically you fill yourself up with hormones and starve for a set period of time. You're better just cutting calories, eating better, and exercising some.

People say that you aren't starving, but you just don't feel like you are. The whole point of the hormones is to block those hunger signals. Eating 500 calories a day is starving yourself, plain and simple.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Listen to Troutman. The dude knows his stuff.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There's a sucker born every minute.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ive done it. Yes I lost alot of weight pretty fast...however i gained it all back once stopping and it killed my immune system and made me lose hair in the process.

do what you want.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    In before the lock.

Seriously though... dumb idea. And this thread will get locked since there is a group for HCG dieters and MFP does not promote fad diets (see forum guidelines).
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is the first time I had heard of this. Thankfully it hasn't hit our shored yet (Australia). But I am guessing with the weight I gained from seven failed pregnancies HCG didn't do me much good at all :)

LOL. Oh it did hit the Aussie shores... I think there is less publicity about it is all.
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    Ya 500 calories is starving but Im doing HCG(Releana) ..this is what I eat

Breakfast-Apple ,small cup of coffee

Lunch-Steak or Chicken - Salad with lemon juice/brocolli/almost any green veggie

snack after work- strawberries

Dinner- STEAK :) and a veggie

again Im not starving lol I know my body, I don't like when others assume how they felt on it is how everyone feels.
    I wish diet success for everyone whatever route they choose to take. Releana is not a hormone or men could not take it (i even asked my doctor who is an OBGYN), its a chemical that causes your body to release its own HCG. It burns fat.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Scam. If you eat 500 calories a day, you'll lose weight. No magic drops contribute to that. You're also likely to gain the weight back. Combine this with the fact a lot of HGC sold contains very minimal amounts of the stuff, it's not worth the money.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I work with a girl who did this diet. She lost weight and gained it all back. She was starving all the time and miserable. Just eat less and move more and you will see good results.
  • smsgrl2009
    Options
    I did the HCG diet 2 years ago...and it is effective...however, it is the diet..if you follow the diet of high protein, low carb, you will lose weight..that being said...you would lose the weight without the hcg doing that diet. What the HCG does is shrink the fat cells so that in addition to your weight loss, you see more inches. And if you don't maintain the diet the hcg is not effective. Typically this diet is offered with supplimental appetite suppressants and vitamin B shots..I did like the vitamin B shots for energy but all in all, it wasn't worth the $300 upfront fee and $75 monthly fee + another $75 if you wanted extra suppliments...biggest thing you can do is change your eating habits and exercise moderatly..this is something that can be a lifestyle change..
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Save your money and starve yourself on 500 calories a day all by yourself.
    Then when you gain your weight back, try the next fad diet and see how that one works.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I did it for three weeks and lost 16 lbs and have kept it off. But, it just wasn't sustainable for me. I tried to do it again a few months later and couldn't make myself do it.

If your NP is suggesting it and your are going to be supervised by a health professional I say go for it. But just remember that you can't go back to your old way of eating once you've lost the weight because you'll just gain it back. You'll need to incorporate learning to eat healthy to maintain your weight loss.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    IT'S PREGNANT LADY PEE!!!!!!!!!!

And you eat 500 calories a day. It's not a wonder you lose weight.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    People who have used HCG, have you tried just cutting your calories to 500?

I think there should be a case study done!

10 people. 5 on HCG with 500 cals. 5 with 500 cals and no HCG.

I bet the results would be the exact same. :)
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I was on this diet for 3 months under Doctor supervision and I can tell you from experience. It works for losing the weight quickly but doesn't keep it off. It is very restrictive and doesn't teach you good eating habits. It was a total waste of the $1500 I spent on it. IF I spent the same amount of money doing the HCG diet on fruit and veges and beans and ate all I wanted then I would have lost the same amount of weight and kept it off. If you are that desperate to try HCG then I would recommend Eat For Life diet and try that first.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You know what stimulates HCG production? Pregnancy.

So, just get knocked up so you can drop all the fat like we pregnant chicks do during our pregnancy...

oh wait....
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i have done it before it does work but not the drops just the pure HCG. however the minute you stiop taking the HCG the weigh will double and come back extremley quick. ur onlky eating 500 calories so truthfully u will lose weight with or without the HCG if youre only eating 500 calories anyway.
This discussion has been closed.