Killer egg yolks

Options
124»

Replies

• birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with them. I have 2 or 3 whole eggs everyday, can't stand egg whites on their own. Blah it's like eating snot.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    All the fat and nutrients except for protein is in the yolk. That includes the cholesterol, but it's a type of cholesterol we digest and deal with very well. The Harvard diet study found no problems associated with eating eggs.
  • fitnhealthy21
    Options
    For most it's the cholesterol, however a healthy person shouldn't worry about eggs.

I think this... and also the fat content.. however, I eat one a day a few times per week.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    For people who throw away the yolks: You could use the yolk as a facial mask, so you won't waste them.

Huh... cool idea.

You can also use them on your hair to give it shine. Not that I would ever waste the yummy bit of yellow gold in that fragile casing in that way. I adore eggs and eat as many as I can fit into my diet.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat the whites because they come in a milk container and I can fit that in my mini apartment fridge better than a dozen eggs. :/ I also am working to lower my cholesterol. I know there are varied studies saying different things, but my doctor told me to watch the whole eggs. So I am.
  • thatsingingchick
    Options
    I've gotten in the habit of eating just the whites because my son is 8 months old, and they suggest starting babies out on just egg yolks. So I do it more to avoid wasting food.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I LOVE egg yolks, but I often do 1 whole egg plus one white. The other yolk gets cooked up and given to my dogs. It keeps their coats nice and shiny, and they love it, of course!
    Now they come running when they hear me cracking eggs! They stand and wait for THEIR yolk! LOL!
  • BunnygirlM
    Options
    A healthy person can have 1 whole egg pretty much everyday without worrying about the fat or cholesterol - in small doses it's quite good for you.

When I make myself eggs I tend to use one whole egg and two just whites. :) I get the healthy fat and TONS of protein for not a lot of calories nice and early and I feel like I could wrestle a bear the rest of the day. I add 1/2 cup chopped spinach, 1/4 cubed avocado 2 tbsp salsa for a super yummy wake-me-up omelette. :D
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i usually have 2 yolks + 3 egg whites. the yolks contain lots of great nutrients. they are also higher in calories than egg whites, which is why i only eat 2 and then have egg whites to add more protein. there is nothing wrong with the yolks. if i were a man or if i wanted to put on more muscle i would eat 5 whole eggs.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I really love eggs. They are perfectly fine as part of a healthy balanced diet. Lots of good fats and nutrients.

The cholesterol you ingest with food has very little effect on the cholesterol levels in your blood. Blood cholesterol is made by the liver. Very little of it is absorbed through the gut in healthy people. There are some people who absorb more cholesterol than normal, so if you're concerned, go have your blood cholesterol levels checked.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the reason is calories. When I was tighter on my calories I'd eat whole eggs but if I was making an omlette I'd use 1/2 whole eggs, 1/2 whites. Just helped keep the calorie count down.

This was my only reason for egg whites... to keep the calorie content down.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    nothing is wrong with them, I saw a show done about them a while back and they used research and science to back up everything, saying they are actually good for you.

I eat them. They are great because they are low cal, low carb, high protein, and there are so many ways to fix them. I love to scramble them up with steamed spinach, a lil garlic powder, some mushrooms, and a tiny bit of feta

Also I dont care for egg whites. As a kid whenever I had boiled eggs, I would eat the yoke and give the white to my sis who hated the yoke. A few years ago if I had a fried egg I would cut off a lot of the white. Now I just eat the whole thing
  • hilarytwilary
    hilarytwilary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see that everyone here promotes eggs as healthy. To play devil's advocate, here's some recent science indicating that eggs might not be as full of good stuff as we think:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-cholesterol-in-the-diet/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/egg-industry-blind-spot/
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/08/31/bad-egg/
    Those are actually "old" science, as newer studies that have come out in 2012 have refuted those sources from 2010.

Such as? If you're going to respond to evidence claiming newer evidence, you should, you know, give the evidence. I'm interested in this topic, and would really like to read up on the newer studies you're talking about.