Cheat Day: A Necessity or a Setback? Your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in a one day, all out "eat whatever you want" thing. But I do believe that never allowing yourself to have a treat or always worrying about calories/etc is harmful as well because you grow to resent it. For me, it worked to just have it occasionally. If I was at a bday party, I had a piece of cake and a slice of pizza and had no worries. If my family ate out, I ordered what I wanted (this is rare, not an everyday thing). So it was more of a "cheat meal" if you have to label it, then a "cheat day".
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week. *kanye shrug* It's workin' for me.
  • Bluescat1
    Bluescat1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I hear "Cheat Day" I hear an excuse for lack of focus and being lazy. You are either in it all the way or not, that's how I feel about it.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find that by sticking to my calories I am losing weight. I find that at the weekend when I want more I do exercise to earn the calories to be able to have the treats I want - this works for me.

A cheat day where I ate as much of what I wanted would be the start of the slippery slope that saw me get over weight in the first place, and the first step to undoing all the good work I have done up to now.

That said different things work for different people.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    cheat days are neither a necessity or a setback. Its simply a choice. If somebody is changing their lifestyle why would they even need or want one. Makes it sound to me like all the other days are forced, then bam!!!..I get to cheat and eat what I want...make those good choices and it will be an afterthought

This!!!
  • Bluescat1
    Bluescat1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I find that by sticking to my calories I am losing weight. I find that at the weekend when I want more I do exercise to earn the calories to be able to have the treats I want - this works for me.

A cheat day where I ate as much of what I wanted would be the start of the slippery slope that saw me get over weight in the first place, and the first step to undoing all the good work I have done up to now.

You said it better than I did. :drinker:
  • Alexandrareczska
    Options
    Cheat day hmmm i feel like its a setback cause we over eat i beieve we should reward ourself with cheat meal but all day its a bit too much ..
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

You said it better than I did. :drinker:

Thanks but I actually read yours after I posted mine and thought 'wow I wish I could say it like that' Straight to the point and no sugar coating! :bigsmile:
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    I personally don't have a set 'cheat' day, and don't consider it a 'cheat day'. I know from experience that I'm an emotional eater...though I try to control it. I also have very little willpower when cake and ice cream are involved. With that being said, I will minimize how much I 'cheat', by getting a smaller slice of cake, or just a little bit of ice cream (Usually I could sit there with the carton). Or, if I'm really craving fast food I'll see what I can have that gives me the satisfaction of fast food, without the calories.

We went to Wendy's the other night, and I got fries, a frosty, and a burger, got the deliciousness of fast food, but stayed under 900 calories which was in my allotted budget since I exercised that day.

I think if you say 'every Sunday I'm going to cheat', then you can lead down the road to say 'well I wasn't horrible Sunday...so Monday I really want that cheeseburger, maybe Monday too.' and it just goes back to old times if you're not careful.
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like the word....but I think without having opportunity to indulge in something you love here and there, you will never succeed long term. Now this doesn't mean eat 10,000 calories in one day...but today is Oktoberfest here in GERMANTOWN, Md. LOL. I will probably have a bratwurst in a BUN. I've kept my carbs under 100 all week, worked out and ate clean...but I may go crazy and share a funnel cake with the kids. I think if you stay STRICT then ultimately you will binge. :-)

I live in Germantown too! Have fun at Oktoberfest!
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    And my opinion on cheat days - I can't do them. Not now anyways. Maybe I'll do a cheat day as a reward every 20 pounds or something.

My last cheat day was a Saturday...well my cheat day turned into a cheat weekend, then to half a week. I didn't get back on track until Wednesday!

As of right now, I am not disciplined enough to do cheat days.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat day I call it eating at tdee once a week usually on Saturday. Or call it a rest and refuel day! And yes in my opinion MUCH NEEDED!!! Everyone is different though!
  • UHKathy
    UHKathy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new here, but this is an interesting topic. Several years ago I lost almost 80 pounds by following a very strict regimen of diet and exercise. At this point, I have gained 25 of it back, after keeping it off for several years. I never felt deprived during that program, but I went without personal favorites for over 3 years. For me, sweets are a slippery slope. I'm like a junkie - one bite and I simply cannot stop. So - I'm starting over - again - and will attempt to follow what worked for me in the past, which is NO simple carbohydrates at all and no sweets and logging everything I eat. Believe it or not, I actually got to the point where an orange seemed like the best dessert/treat ever. Those of you who CAN have a "cheat" day/meal and stay on track are lucky.
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    I have one day a week where I eat what i want..purely because I want to eat this way for the rest of my life not just til I have lost the weight, and I cant imagine spending the rest of my life without roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings or dessert, or dinner and drinks with my friends, etc...most weeks that day is a sunday or I keep it for a social occasion. But if my weightloss is a little slower I figure its better than dieting extreme losing all the weight and rebounding, have done that in the past,

Its totally psychological, but it works for me, when I sit there thinking I want cake, I can just put it on the list for sunday, ..usually by sunday I have forgotten about the cake anyways. It works for me, I lose weight steadily around half to a pound a week, which is where I want to be.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day", "earned day", whatever you want to call it, every Saturday. Body fat tested at 18.93%, 47 year old female. Works for me :) Eating a cookie as we speak and it's delicious because I hardly ever have one
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its only "cheating" if what you're living on is a restricted regimen. I'm not. There is a place for everything in the way I am eating now...which sometimes includes CHOOSING to enjoy something I don't eat frequently. Its not cheating. Its also not a "reward" for being "good" the rest of the time. Its living consciously, with the awareness of what I am eating....one choice at a time. Life without an occasional indulgence is barely worth living.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Necessity. I would call it "free day" but either way, it is important to have one day a week with high calorie consumption to prevent plateaus.

There are several benefits to re-feeding once a week, like I already mentioned, it helps reset your metabolism to a higher rate, especially if you've been eating at 20% below your TDEE. It also helps prevent burnout or monotony in your diet. When we re-feed, we also gain micro nutrients that may have been lacking on your regular weight-loss eating days. Lastly, it prevents the feelings of deprivation that could happen when you are on a long term weight loss plan, causing you to abandon your efforts.
  • GibblesandBits8064
    GibblesandBits8064 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost everyday so I don't do a cheat day. I only have the recommended 1/2 cup serving, but it's still awesome in my book.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've heard several people who have dieted and lost weight that they always incorporated in a cheat day. This special day (like a holiday to many of them) would allow them to have whatever they wanted, at pretty much any time of the day. I was wondering what all of you thought about this? I, at this point, don't use a cheat day probably because I'm trying to be very strict with what I take in. With that said, I will still sometimes eat out or something like that as long as I know I'm hitting the gym extra hard to make up for the increase in calories. Anyways, just looking for thoughts. Thanks again!

First, you can not out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way for many years --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I do not have cheat days. I don't even like the term. I incorporate all foods I love into my calorie budget. Our bodies are designed to have feasts and celebrations sometimes, just not every day. You can have everything you want, just not all at once. I'm in the maintenance phase now have been for over a year, but during the two years that I had a lot of weight to lose I included treats in my budget. If I wanted a starbucks oatmeal cookie for example, I would have a taco salad at home instead of a taco with a corn tortilla, then I would go get my cookie. I have the one cookie. I always felt like eating more, but I always told my self I could have more next time.
  • dsexton1
    Options
    I feel that having a cheat meal helps me stay on track, I also turn it in to a date night and go somewhere really nice to eat. I don't feel the need to do it every weekend but when I was just starting to lose weight it really helped me get past cravings I would have for "bad" foods. I would literally think about it all week and plan what and where I would go to eat and I would also get a dessert. However, as I started noticing the weight gains from cheat night, I started forgoing the desserts or trying to eat healthier but still treat myself. Now a cheat dessert is frozen yogurt at Sweet Frogs! LOL