KFC - Startling Realization!

Options
124»

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting post that became INSANELY interesting. I must be the only one in this string that LOVED KFC. I loved every fatty salty bad bite I ate. Unfortunately my love of exercise feel away and my appetite grew. There were other factors, but between 40 and 45, I went from 172 up to 250. On July 1st of this month, I was 250, around August 1st I joined this site at 242, today I was 211.

I haven't given up all 'bad' food, but I got back in the exercise routine and started eating in moderation. I think making my diet or my children so devoid of the less healthy items doesn't always teach them a healthy lifestyle as much as it limits their options and sense of choice. Maybe they keep these lifestyle choices, maybe they rebel and never eat anywhere but drive-thrus. As parents, we make the best decisions we can, for me, I hope I teach by giving good examples and sometimes by them seeing I made mistakes I could learn from and they don't have to repeat for themselves, but sometimes they will.

I do think comparing taking your kids to experience KFC to allowing them to experience drugs is an extreme reaction that will turn people off. There are certain taboos and break-down of social norms that drugs represent that fast food doesn't. It like the person that can't stop comparing politicians and politics they disagree with to Hitler and Nazis. You become somewhere between offensive to easy to dismiss. To the person that stated this post, please tell me how your daughter enjoyed or didn't enjoy KFC. This post took a weird twist and I thought it started as a cute experience/antidote that should return to that.

To defend my analogy with drugs and fast food, in result, they do turn out in the "same" way. I wasn't being offensive, or even trying to be, only saying that it has the same general effect...which a lot of posters have made clear in sharing their personal stories in how their parents ruled out foods, and it's what they became obsessed with. It is an addiction, which is where my analogy came into play. Sadly, in my opinion, it is comparable. Food is just as addictive as drugs, depending on the person. Drugs are much more worse than junk food, don't get me wrong, but I do see similarities and if you don't moderate and don't exercise, it's just as dangerous in my eyes.

But yes, I have to agree. I have also been wondering about this little girl's run in with KFC. :smile:

There are actual scientific studies that have concluded that sugar (i'm not sure about fast food, if there has been a study like this, maybe similar?) is as, if not more, addicting as drugs.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    We used to eat KFC on a regular basis, it was one of my dad's favorite places when I was a kid. We bought some the other night, after not eating it for about 7-8 months and it made me sick to my stomach. I LOVE their cole slaw though.

THIS. I'm such a food snob now.
    Wanna go to Mcdonalds? Ew.
    Burger King? Aren't they the same thing?
    Arby's? I'll have a heart attack (The sodium is insane to me personally)
    KFC? No.
    Taco bell/Subway? I can't make that work. Friends: Grumblegrumble. Hahaha!

But put a biscuit from...anywhere (I just love biscuits) and you will blink and a crumb will be left behind.

:smile: I mostly agree...except for the Subway. I LOVE Subway.

I meant CAN make that work. I love Subway and Taco bell...for days where I forget to pack a lunch or something dumb. :)
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love KFC.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    even knowing its horrible for me, i love kfc. except their coleslaw...bleh
    but give me some fried chicken and any other side and ill be a happy camper.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So we went. She ordered the chicken strips with potato wedges and mac n cheese. She did not like the mac n cheese. She liked the potatoes. She claimed she liked the chicken but she stressed that "it is an occarional treat." So I think I've done something right.

Interesting debate this thread started. I'm on the side of not making something "forbidden fruit." It worked with Mc D's. I would take my daughters there every once in a while when they were little. As soon as the thrill of the toy wore off, they realized that the food tastes like cardboard and never ask to go anymore. I think demonstrating that something can be enjoyed occasionally helps keep your kids from binging out on stuff. I am not a binger, but I'll bet some bingers grew up in families where certain foods were held as forbidden fruit.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It is very, very easy to eat a low calorie meal at KFC, fyi.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Popeye's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KFC

^^^^
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    So we went. She ordered the chicken strips with potato wedges and mac n cheese. She did not like the mac n cheese. She liked the potatoes. She claimed she liked the chicken but she stressed that "it is an occarional treat." So I think I've done something right.

Interesting debate this thread started. I'm on the side of not making something "forbidden fruit." It worked with Mc D's. I would take my daughters there every once in a while when they were little. As soon as the thrill of the toy wore off, they realized that the food tastes like cardboard and never ask to go anymore. I think demonstrating that something can be enjoyed occasionally helps keep your kids from binging out on stuff. I am not a binger, but I'll bet some bingers grew up in families where certain foods were held as forbidden fruit.

Glad that it worked well for you. My kids get very little in fast food, first because of food allergies and second because we just never go as a family. I hope that when they are older, they are able to make those choices too. They both love fruits and my son loves almost all vegetables, but they both have their "challenging" foods.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've never, other than a drink, had KFC. Fast food wasn't something my parents did, they knew it was unhealthy. My dad DID go through a phase of taking my sisters and I to McDonald's, but that lasted only a few months.

I haven't had any fast food in years, except for Subway. I just don't like it, and of course being a vegetarian makes it difficult.

I hope your daughter likes KFC, though, but knows it's a special occasion/treat kind of place.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I get 2 or 3 of the Grilled Chicken Breast (220 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 40 grams of Protein) with a Diet Pepsi.... They are very good, now you need to skip the fried chicken and potato wedges but there is healthy choices there..... Best of Luck....

Im with this playa right here!! I just flexed 2 of these bad boys with some corn tortillas.....damn!! 80g of protein!!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Yes, i know exactly what my kids eat at school.....they both pack lunches. and thankfully the best friend of both kids families are very very health conscience....when my daughter (who is 11) shops with me, she will read labels before she picks her snacks or cereal. And once they no longer live here, I am pretty confident the lessons they learned at home will stay with them.. Thankfully again, both are strong healthy intelligent children....

LOL. As a teenager my parents were utterly convinced I ate healthily because I always ate well... in front of them. If they had been the ones taking the trash out of my room though... let's just say the evidence that would have suggested otherwise would have been brought to light...

Yes because children never trade things in their lunches at school. My daughter came home asking for more yellow wax beans from the farmers market in her lunch. I thought she really liked them - well, she does but not that much. Apparently, they were good currency for Fritos. Who knew?
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, popcorn chicken!

They don't have it anymore. My 15 year old son was devastated to learn this on Friday when we ate at KFC. I had not been in a KFC in at least a year, partly because there isn't one by us, we were on a road trip Friday. I got the chicken slider sandwiches and they were awesome! High in calories and sodium though.

I think it's sad that this has turned into a "who's a better parent" debate, but I suppose that is inevitable on a message board.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love KFC <3