The Starvation Mode Myth...again.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    If you are implying that I'm claiming to be an expert, you are wrong. I merely brought up leptin as a possible explanation for my circumstance. I really seriously wish I had a better (or any plausible) explanation as to why I gained weight when cutting calories below RMR.

So if you are an expert, please enlighten me. (PS: I've already pointed out no changes in types of foods, activity, or methods and tools of measurement for both foods and my weight from when I was losing weight at higher calorie intake to when I was gaining weight at a lower calorie intake and then back to losing again upon returning to a higher calorie intake at a smaller deficit).

As I've said, I always used to believe the idea of "starvation mode" and gaining weight at lowered calorie intake was complete BS until my own experience.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    caimay149 wrote: »
    Yeah. What is it with you and that book?

He's constantly misinterpreting it.

• FunkyTobias
    steve098 wrote: »
    The whole leptin thing has been pretty much debunked.

Downloaded you Guyton's?

Good.

. Leptin is a hormone secreted by fat cells and has many physiological effects, but it is especially important in regulating appetite and energy balance, as discussed in Chapter 71.

https://www.inkling.com/read/guyton-hall-textbook-of-medical-physiology-12th/chapter-74/mechanisms-of-action-of-hormones

Methinks you don't understand your own bible.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    If you are implying that I'm claiming to be an expert, you are wrong. I merely brought up leptin as a possible explanation for my circumstance. I really seriously wish I had a better (or any plausible) explanation as to why I gained weight when cutting calories below RMR.

So if you are an expert, please enlighten me. (PS: I've already pointed out no changes in types of foods, activity, or methods and tools of measurement for both foods and my weight from when I was losing weight at higher calorie intake to when I was gaining weight at a lower calorie intake and then back to losing again upon returning to a higher calorie intake at a smaller deficit).

As I've said, I always used to believe the idea of "starvation mode" and gaining weight at lowered calorie intake was complete BS until my own experience.

Read my long post again.

What was your approach to get in the fat-burning mode while running a calorie deficit?

Just running a small calorie deficit caused me to lose weight. Running a larger deficit / fewer calories intaken caused me to gain weight. Why?
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Well I'm a classic example of someone who has yo yoed, done many diet plans from Nutrisystem to Weight Watchers to Beverly Hills etc.. Never lost much weight, about 25lb total in the past 25 years of my life.

Fast forward to this year, I am 57, 5'1" tall and weighed 198 lb, on July 28th I started at the gym. I had my diet reviewed and was told I do not eat enough. Had my calories increased, been working hard on keeping my macros in line with prescribed ones by my PT who is also certified in Nutrition counselling. I am down 10 lbs, and many inches. I feel fantastic, I am not hungry and I don't feel the need to snack, ever!

I went from avg of 1450 calories per day to 1775 calories per day. While 1450 is not starvation mode years of not eating well set me in Yo yo mode. We all need to do our research, find out what works and stick to in consistently.

As someone who believed I needed to eat less, I am now happy to share that you can increase your calories as long as you eat mindfully and don't eat packaged garbage foods full of chemicals, too much sugar, salt and fat.

Good luck to all those who are struggling to find what works, be patient it will come. And when it does it is the sweetest feeling there is.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    :D@divediva2 I wish there were a "Like" button here.
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    please I don't understand does MFP is wrong and not a healthy way to lose ??
    it said 1200 calorie goal for me...
    anyone tell me am i in starvation mode ? but I eat
    so confused :'(
  • caimay149
    caimay149 Posts: 65 Member
    I literally don't know where to start.

@midwesterner85, don't sweat it. You get to eat more and lose at a good pace, that's a good thing, don't worry too much about what did or didn't happen. I have had success eating higher calories (2000 as opposed to 1600-1700) when I paired it with HEAVY lifting. Didn't change my weight much but definitely made me much slimmer - I lost inches. I think there's something to be said about eating more and using that energy to be active. But I still don't believe eating less causes weight gain.

And whats'isname - To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, anything by Bill Bryson - all great examples of other books one can read and enjoy. Step away from the Guytons.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member

Just running a small calorie deficit caused me to lose weight. Running a larger deficit / fewer calories intaken caused me to gain weight. Why?

Because you're a special snowflake who defies all the laws of physiology, that's why.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    It just bums me out a bit because I would like to speed up weight loss, but cannot do so without spending a lot of time on exercise in order to have a greater deficit (time I don't have).
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    I read a study that said Biggest Loser contestants did indeed lower their metabolisms for the long term even though they did retain some muscle because of the weight training.
  • FunkyTobias
    The whole leptin thing has been pretty much debunked.

Downloaded you Guyton's?

Good.

. Leptin is a hormone secreted by fat cells and has many physiological effects, but it is especially important in regulating appetite and energy balance, as discussed in Chapter 71.

https://www.inkling.com/read/guyton-hall-textbook-of-medical-physiology-12th/chapter-74/mechanisms-of-action-of-hormones

Methinks you don't understand your own bible.

It plays a role, of course, but in those who are of normal weight.

But they have tried to make leptin analogues and work on the leptin receptor in order to try to find a magic bullet pill to cure obesity, but they didn't come up with anything.

If you are overweight there is an override that blunts the effectiveness of leptin.

It is in Guton's, & I will get the chapter and verse later.

I won't hold my breath. But it would be amusing to see the giant chasm between what your source says and what you believe it means.

Actually if you look at the index and search for lepton you should stumble upon it yourself.

Sigh.

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Hey "Steve", when do we get to see an actual picture of what you look like, since you're such a champion of weight loss?
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Totally off topic but..... Does it annoy anyone else when people keep quoting the entire original post as if we don't know what they are responding to?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    alereck wrote: »
    Totally off topic but..... Does it annoy anyone else when people keep quoting the entire original post as if we don't know what they are responding to?

No because only the last post in the quote shows, unless you choose to click into 'show previous quotes'

And quoting someone to show what you are responding to is very useful - sometimes posts get added quickly and someone makes a post saying " I agree " or suchlike and we don't know what they are agreeing with.

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member

No because only the last post in the quote shows, unless you choose to click into 'show previous quotes'

You didn't get what I was trying to say. Instead of simply replying to the "original post" they click on quote and then reply underneath. I'm not talking about quoting someone else who has added some information.

But again, I post what is on my mind and I get what I deserve....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

less than it used to, when we had massively concentric rectangles requoting requotes of reqoutes of...

A small fragment for context and to identify which post is being replied to is sensible.