High rep, low weight has to be worth something, right?

Options
So I'm stuck at home this weekend, unable to get out to the gym. However I have a incline sit up bench and a pair of 8kg (17.5lb, so total weight for the 2 is 35lb) dumbells that I've started using. The weights a lot loss than I do down the gym, but I've gotta be able to do something with them haven't I?

Tips appreciated, I'm started with 22rep bench presses and am planning on doing 5 sets before moving onto some other presses and curls.

Replies

• Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do pushups till complete exhaustion. Then use the lighter dumbbells. That will make them "feel" a lot heavier. You can also do lunges and prisoner squats to get a good workout.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Started with some straight, incline and decline pushups... But not till exhaustion, I'm pretty much finished now, but will test your theory before I completely finish
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do a complex

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

i think the tumminello complex would work with dumbbells

and uuugghh please dont be one of those guys who just does upper body stuff. do some freaking squats and deadlifts. boys need an *kitten* too ya know
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    boys need an *kitten* too ya know

lol
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do this metabolic routine instead. I'm probably a little stronger than you and I only use 30 lb dumbbells on this. It's 36 mins and you dont need a bench, just about 5 feet of space to work in.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/goblet-squat.php#slidetop
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    High rep. low weight workouts build muscle endurance while lower rep higher weight workouts are better for building strength. I think both types of workouts can have a place in your routine. Definitely better than nothing at all!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The most recent studies are saying that low weight/high rep is as effective as high weight/low rep as long as you work your muscles to exhaustion, regardless of which you choose.
  • rml_16
    Options
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What number is considered "high" rep? I do 15 or 20 depending on the exercise. I'm not exhausted after the first set but I'm pretty wiped by the third. I've heard it said that high rep is for burning calories and losing weight, and low rep for bulking up. Still true?
  • DavPul
    Options
    The most recent studies are saying that low weight/high rep is as effective as high weight/low rep as long as you work your muscles to exhaustion, regardless of which you choose.

Lulz
  • rml_16
    Options

Lulz

Lulz right back at you. Look it up.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    do a complex

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

i think the tumminello complex would work with dumbbells

and uuugghh please dont be one of those guys who just does upper body stuff. do some freaking squats and deadlifts. boys need an *kitten* too ya know

Meshayup...

The goal with stuff that is less than 50% of max weight is more conditioning. In that sense, you aim to do the most amount of work to fulfill a goal or set range during the least amount of rest.

Work hard, short rest intervals, make you sweat.

Try some Bulgarian Split Squats, I train all my clients on this exercise.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

perhaps it's true. but wow you'd have to spend so much more time working out doing it the high weight low rep way. besides that isn't it possible that you'd start to feel it in your joints more than your muscles if you and would have to stop before you got to the point of muscle exhaustion?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Effective in what way? Building muscle and/or strength? I guess all those bodybuilders and powerlifters and strongman competitors in the world have been doing it wrong all along. Just lift pink dumbbells until your arms get tired and you'll get there much easier!
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    The typical MFP fitness enthusiast is probably not going to be in the same situations as strongman competitors.

Most people are looking to improve posture, feel stronger, and have more energy throughout the day. In that sense, working the capacity of slower twitch muscle fibers in a strength training situation should yield benefits.

And for the people who are more intense, sometimes the best way to break a plateau is to do something you've never done before. For example, the famous Kroc Rows where you use high weight and momentum for many reps.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just do pushups and situps until you can't do them anymore. You can use the weights to do shoulder flys and tricep kickbacks.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options

perhaps it's true. but wow you'd have to spend so much more time working out doing it the high weight low rep way. besides that isn't it possible that you'd start to feel it in your joints more than your muscles if you and would have to stop before you got to the point of muscle exhaustion?

Hey there, it should be mandatory to exercise proper form in order to reduce risk of degradation. Focus on strengthening the core, and make sure to balance out exercises that work the entire body.
  • DavPul
    Options

Lulz

Oh that's right, someone, somewhere wrote it and published it on the net. I forget that means that it's true. Meanwhile, everybody actually involved in strength training for any amount of time knows that it's complete hogwash. I love "recent studies" arguments. Never fails to amuse me. I don't even need to read the Sunday comics after this one
  • DavPul
    Options

Effective in what way? Building muscle and/or strength? I guess all those bodybuilders and powerlifters and strongman competitors in the world have been doing it wrong all along. Just lift pink dumbbells until your arms get tired and you'll get there much easier!

Why even use pink dumbbells? Save money and do 2x the reps while holding a paper clip in each finger. Recent studies have shown that paper clips are just as effective as heavy metal
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options

Lulz

Oh that's right, someone, somewhere wrote it and published it on the net. I forget that means that it's true. Meanwhile, everybody actually involved in strength training for any amount of time knows that it's complete hogwash. I love "recent studies" arguments. Never fails to amuse me. I don't even need to read the Sunday comics after this one

What is "Low weight"

Isn't it different for everyone?

There are benefits to training in the high rep range as long as there is progression.