Planet Fitness 30 min express workout

Does anyone know how many calories you burn when you do Planet Fitness 30 Min express workout?

Replies

• Does anyone know how many calories you burn when you do Planet Fitness 30 Min express workout?
  • Bump.

Been trying to figure this out for 6 months now. At 245lbs it assumes that since it's 30 minutes of "cardio" (because it's not really strength training if you're toning muscles), it counts it around 440-something. That's fine because I add more to my workouts than that before and after, but I'd like a more accurate depiction of what the burn might be.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    well, there is a count on here for "curves circuit training" which I think is a similar set up. So, when I've done it I mark it as that. (which for me, a 125 lb 5'2 female, is usually like 160 calories)
  • Hey guys,

I did this today and was wondering the same thing. Trolling around the internet I found this http://www.fitclick.com/free_workout_routine_PF_Express_30_Minute_Workout?CustomerWorkoutID=2002 which is a basic breakdown.

Hope it helps some
  • The link actually doesn't even mention that he's doing the steps in between each machine. Just another person using the 30 minute circuit training and it's only happening for 15. Such a shame. The cardio in between each machine is what makes this workout actually work.
  • couponsaver79
    couponsaver79 Posts: 51 Member
    I did this today and was looking to see how many calories then it burned. Is it really important to do the stairs in between? Are there any exercises you can mix it up with? I love the machines, but I wasnt a fan of going back and forth to the stair stepper. But if it makes the difference I'll keep it up.
  • Sfcjalex1973
    Sfcjalex1973 Posts: 1 Member
    If you dont do the stair routine then the workout will have reall been for nothing, it is called a total boby workout for that reason. I guess if you are looking to only tone muscles then you can do that, but then why not just use regular machines.
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    I would love to know also. I did it last night and I figured it out to be around 185 cals. I may be totally off though.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    the stairs is what gets the heart rate up and burns calories.
  • If you don't want to do the 'steps' in between, then go at a time when its not crowded. You can do the just the toning exercises for 15 mins, then go do the treadmill/elliptical/stair climber, etc.
  • for the people who were trying to figure out the calorie count - what were you using to determine the calories loss for your height and weight?
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    I recently did this with a heart rate monitor on. Now, when I do "the steps" between, I usually either do jumping jacks or jogging in place, etc...

I'm 5'2, 122 lbs & my heart rate monitor said I burnt 180 calories
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    I just did the workout for the first time today. If you don't do some sort of cardio, which is what the steps are, you aren't going to burn near as many calories. The weights just tone and strengthen muscles, they don't get your heart going which is what revs your metabolism and burns calories.
    So when I calculated calories I noted there are 10 steps and you do them for a minute a piece so that is 10 minutes of stepping. That exercise is in the database so I just used it. It gave me 186 calories burned which is probably a fair guesstimate.
  • For people looking to mix and match workouts....

Instead of doing steppers through all 20, I do the following (it's repeated twice, so I do it 1-5, then 6-10):

First Station: Air Squats (key here is to practice form. don't bend over with your back, decline with your legs) for the duration. I started 2012 at 30 squats/minute and am up to 43.

Second Station: Knee Lifts (Stolen from Beachbody Insanity). Just watch the commercials on how to do that. I alternate sides during the 1 minute. I started out doing 30 lifts/side and got that up to 45 now.

Third Station: Running In Place (Pretty self explanatory). Some times I like to incorporate the upper body twist from left to right and right to left, other times I like to bring my knees up into my core.

Fourth Station: Jumping Jacks (Again, self explanatory). I started the year around 40. And am up to 70 per green to red series.

Fifth Station: Running Steps

Repeat x2.

As everyone else said, this is where you get your calorie burn from. I'm 6'2 and when I started logging this caloric burn I was 250+ so I used 500 cals because I was SOAKED from head to toe when complete. Since then I've mathematically decreased my caloric burn as I'm down to 229.
  • pappy325
    pappy325 Posts: 1 Member
    I just contacted my local Planet Fitness that I am a member at and they said the only information that they have is based on a 150lb person would burn about 272 calories during the workout. So adjust it for yourself if possible. I personally just started my fitness journey and have lost 8 lbs in about 2.5 weeks. I just joined Planet Fitness less than a week ago and have done the 30 minute express twice. And intend to do it every other day. with the in between day being the day that I just do cardio, (I'm also doing the Couch to 5k routine.) When I was speaking with them, I asked so since I'm aprox 340lbs I could just double it to aprox the amount of calories I burn. They said yes. IDK I am new to all of this and want to stick with it.
  • If you do the math based on the numbers they provided, it would be around 615 calories per 30 minutes for you. For me, my base calculations are more, because I don't do the steps every single time they're up. I do something that's more intense to keep my blood flowing. Because once you stop, is when your body starts to think the entire workout's over.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Looks like "Circuit Training, General" is right on the money for the PF 30-minute express, assuming you do all 10 machines with steppers in between. Played around with the numbers and it matches up with the numbers Pappy and Pudgeman were getting and being told by PF.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    **make sure you're not always stepping up with the same leg!!
    **I do it when it's slow

I take 10-15 steps with my left leg and then a 2nd rep starting with my right leg. I usually do 3 reps of each and then go back to a machine.
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    This is why I use a HRM during my workouts, it is one of the most important tools in my fitness plan. I get instant results to the work I'm putting in.

I believe I burned 330 calories doing the circuit with no cardio in between machines, just maybe a minute, to a minute thirty rest. I do three sets of 10 reps each machine. The last time I did this was my first day back to weights so it was a very light workout. I did a 5 minute elliptical run to warm up, and did not count that into the circuit.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I use the Curves Circuit Training option when I do it and I do all the steps in between (actually tiny bit more than a minute as I make sure I do 36 steps and 36 reps on the machines). It says I burn 234 calories for 30 minutes which is probably about right.