Planet Fitness 30 min express workout

Options

Replies

• kapease
    kapease Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't forget though, that the working the muscles with the strength training prolongs the time that your body is actually burning calories.
  • vmoyer2002
    vmoyer2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I first signed up they told me you could burn up to 1000 calories. (Way over estimated i believe) But you cant compare a person in the 30 min express just doing regular steps to me who is doing steps, mountain climbers, jumping on & off with a squat. While I'm sweating my *kitten* off & the person next to me is almost breathing normally. So with my hrm, it told me (5 ft 1 in, 200#) that I would burn 450 calories.
  • rsmclaurin
    Options
    Bump.

Great information! I do the 30 minute workout about once a week and have been wondering how many calories it burns. I had been using the "Curves Circuit Training" option but I usually do something higher intensity that just the stepping (jumping jacks, high knees, etc). I'm now thinking that the "Circuit Training, General" might be more accurate.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I did this this morning and I'm curious too.

Because some people just slowly step on and off the boxes/stair steppers, but I do three things

1.) Quickly step on and off/run on and off
    2.) Grape vine on it (up one side, down the other, and so on)
    3.) Calf Raises

By the time I'm done, I'm DRIPPING sweat so I know it's a hard workout...my limbs also feel like jelly-I try to make it a high intensity workout.

MFP estimates it at like 256 kcals/30 minutes.
  • DVA80
    DVA80 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I do not know how to log it. I did 30 mins. I was dripping sweat when I was done. I used to have the body media fit but it wasn't for me now I use fit bit and it really only calculated steps to calories.

I am 5'3 and 132 pounds. How many calories do you think I burned?
  • bashfulbirdie
    bashfulbirdie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I an 5'5 244 lbs - based on other comments I thought I was burning quite a few calories
    I just wore a heart rate monitor - its just a watch and was cheap so i dont know if its the monitor or what but it said only 215 calories - I sweat! I do quick knee ups, or to the side, or squats with hand wieghts for the stepper. My heart rate monitor was up to 170-180 bpm when doing the stepper....

confused....?
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I burn 220-255 doing this workout. I use fairly heavy weights (I do more tun the recommended 12 reps for all the machines), and YES you should do something at all the cardio stations. There is a poster on the wall with suggestions! Also- just copy what someone else did. Calve raises, jumping jacks (though these are nit easy/fun for me!), steps, run in place, kicks, lunges, squats... I've even seen people do pushups & crunches.

(Its also sort of frowned upon to only use the circuit machines and not do the step stations because all of the machines are also found elsewhere in the gym; if you're going to do it that way, then do it at off-peak hours when no-one else is really in the room- this is what I've heard gym personnel tell people. Don't shoot the messenger.)
  • sherryw_1971
    Options
    if you go to fitclick.com you can look up any exercise machine you work on at planet fitness to see how many calories you can burn
  • WinnershCyclist
    Options
    everyone is different so best way is to get a HRM tie it with a sports app like Endomondo, Micoach etc and you will see a better indication of your calories useage its not 100% but good enough as an indicator
  • heatherv89
    heatherv89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The best way I would say is using a heart monitor but if that's not an option I would think circuit training might be the best thing to log it under and see what it comes up with that way.
  • tinavaldes95
    Options
    This is just the info I needed! Great discussion. Thank you!
  • generik79
    generik79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how to "perfectly" calculate the calories on the 30 Minute PF Workout, except if you track HR, etc., as said above. However, I created two workouts--30 Minute Workout (Cardio) and 30 Minute Workout (Strength)--just to tell me as a record what I've done for MFP purposes. I put the calories in the Cardio basically as if they were circuit training as has been said above. For me, I hop on the eliptical about 2-3 minutes after the circuit and my heart rate starts quite high (above "fat burn" level even and into "cardio" level).

I love this 30 minute workout. To me it is one of the BEST features of Planet Fitness. What I don't like is the many people, some of whom have posted in this thread, using it for other purposes, skipping about, lifting on these machines, when others are trying to do the CARDIO workout that needs one by one in sequence. The machines in the circuit room are also elsewhere in the gym, just saying...

I'm doing this M-W-F from now on. My Weekend treat, generally, is to not have to do this ;-). I've done it twice so far, first with the trainer. It is a beast...but it's an ALL AROUND workout, which I love. I think if you are looking for long-term success and for general health this thing is EPIC. Thank you PF and MFP's community. God bless you all, even those using the 30 minutes machines for other purposes ;-)
  • ThinByThanksgiving
    ThinByThanksgiving Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tina8605
    tina8605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to Fitness for Weight loss:
    You can burn 285 – 765 calories circuit training.

It depends on how much you weigh and how hard you exercise. Below is an estimate of how many calories you can burn in 30 minutes of circuit training (with aerobic exercise and little to no rest):
    If you weigh 150 lbs, you can burn approximately 285 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 200 lbs, you can burn approximately 380 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 250 lbs, you can burn approximately 475 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 300 lbs, you can burn approximately 575 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 350 lbs, you can burn approximately 670 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 400 lbs, you can burn approximately 765 calories in 30 minutes.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories you burn when you do Planet Fitness 30 Min express workout?

4,313-1/2.
  • vmb613
    vmb613 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it but I did not see anyone mention that each person lifts different weights and during the time the green light is on they do different amounts also; for example I might be lifting 40 LBS 35 times and you might be lifting 50 LBS 20 times, so I have no way of determining the amount of calories burned and it is so frustrating me as it is all of you.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    WOW! A POST FROM 2008!!!!!!!!!
  • skully12
    skully12 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did the circuit with my Polar Ft4 heart rate monitor yesterday. It said I burned 274 calories at 5'4" and 124 pounds. I worked fast/hard on the steppers doing mostly running steps, I did quick box jumps twice, and regular squats (not on the stepper) one round.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You need an HRM if you really want to measure an accurate calorie count (preferring one with a chest band) because everyone is different. My blue tooth polar strap is fairly cheap and syncs with your phone. Please don't cheap out on one because the off brands are inaccurate. I feel bad and I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but the machines at planet fitness overestimate my burns by 30% so If it says I burned 500, I really only burned 350 according to my HRM. It can really throw off your weight loss.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Smart-Heart-Sensor/dp/B00NOHWTO6