The difference between saying 'I love you' and...

Options

Replies

• lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You should listen to More Than Words by Extreme...love that song, my fiance and I dance to it all the time :heart:
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hm...doesn't hit me, treats me kindly, seems to genuinely enjoy spending time with me, supports my personal goals, etc...

But sometimes he drops the "I" and just says "love you". I didn't think about it until now, but you all have helped me realize something.

The sonuva***** must be cheating.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My husband says" i love you you sexy slut" or sometimes he says" love you dirty *kitten*". Of course i know he loves me so i dont care how he says it as long as he says it. He really does not think i am slut or a *kitten*.that is just how he expresses his love for me. I dont mind at all :)
  • pluginchambers
    Options
    Can I just clarify to those posters who are finding amusement from the 'over attached girlfriend' comments and commenting on my relationship;

I didn't once say this was about my own personal relationship, nor did i ask you to make a comment on it.
    I have no problem with my own relationship, I posted this literally out of curiosity, to start a debate or conversation.

-thanks to those who didn't jump to that conclusion.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Love you is a generic term when you either don't mean it or mean it in the sense of a frienship love. To tell a person I love you mean just that. I love you with more than a superficial friendy kind of love. Just my opinion
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I see no difference between the two. My personal pet peeve is "I love you/love you" and "Love ya". Sheer annoyance.
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options

love u :flowerforyou:

ono! wtf?

tumblr_m7nfinCSEf1rql87s.gif

you didnt say I love you
    :laugh: :laugh:

Love is love no matter how I tell my husband!
    Personally I think the way you show eachother is much more important :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    There's a simple guide:

I love you - Loving feelings for those who mean the most to you in the world

Love you - Someone who means a lot, you'll say it in passing.

Love ya - You're dead to me and I want to stab your face.

Also any I love you's in type format that lack exclamation points are clearly sent by monsters with no heart.
  • shizz230
    Options
    I dont think there is a difference, I just think its a way of shortening the phrase, my fiance and I say "love you" all the time, now when we are being intimate or we are trying to put emphasis on it I do tend to see that we will say " I love you" during those times, like if we are on the phone on a "just thinking bout you" call we tend to say " love you" but if we are in each others presence and then its more of a " hey I love you"....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'love you'

Do you think there is some sort of subconscious meaning behind the two?

Do you think if your partner were to just say 'love you' most of the time rather than saying 'I love you' there is much to be interpreted by that?

I'm an over-thinker and I'm just curious as to if other people think there is underlying meaning behind it or if it's nothing.

no, my husband and i say 'love you' all the time. i rarely say 'i love you' to him... but it means the same to us. he is the best thing EVER!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    143 for anyone that remembers pagers.

Hah! I so see what you did there! (;
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    'love you'

Do you think if your partner were to just say 'love you' most of the time rather than saying 'I love you' there is much to be interpreted by that?

I'm an over-thinker and I'm just curious as to if other people think there is underlying meaning behind it or if it's nothing.

Wow, you sound just like me. I've had the same though before. My boyfriend says both. I always feel more loved when he says, "I love you." He also seems to be more serious and intent when he puts the "I" before it. I know I'm an over thinker though. He says both so I don't let it bother me :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People are different. It totally depends on the partner whether either phrase means less or more than the other. But if you question the meaning behind something, there is often a reason that you do.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    Options
    'love you'

Wow, you sound just like me. I've had the same though before. My boyfriend says both. I always feel more loved when he says, "I love you." He also seems to be more serious and intent when he puts the "I" before it. I know I'm an over thinker though. He says both so I don't let it bother me :)
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    I have thought the same thing. My boyfriend says...love you. I always say ...I love you. I think we are just over thinking it or at least I hope this is the case. :wink:
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I think you're over thinking. A lot.

agree
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options

LOLOL!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    Options
    Oops didn't mean to post the same thing twice. First one timed out and I didn't see it post. Something to add to that though. Sometimes my boyfriend will make a smart *kitten* comment to me, (just teasing/poking fun), then after he'll be like, "love yooou." Before we go to bed at night, he'll give me a kiss, look into my eyes and say, "I love you." So yeah, there's definitely a difference between the two in my opinion.
  • shizz230
    Options

thats a throwback classic right there lol
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My husband and I almost always say "I love you" to eachother. I do think it sounds more sincere. I agree with one pf the PPs that "Love ya" can sound sarcastic depending on how it is said. My mom and I text it to eachother just because its our thing.