Pre-logging Food Diaries

Options
1235»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I always pre-log. I'm working on staying within my macros now, so it helps me because I still haven't gotten the hang of all of that. I'm a planner and a list maker anyway, so it's easier for me. Sometimes I pre-log something and don't eat it, or change my mind about what I want to eat, so I just go back and adjust it before I close my diary for the day.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I pre log in the mornings most every weekday.

NOT all the time on the weekends. I kind of allow myself fudge room on the weekends.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I pre-log in the morning, but never close out my diary until the end of the day (can't predict the future). I find it helps me stay on track during the day and demotivates me from making impulsive meal decisions.
  • swolegirlcb
    Options
    I almost always enter my food before I eat it and I'm pretty good at sticking to my plan.
    This. I always pre-plan. How far in advance just depends. It has made me a lot more successful in sticking to my macros.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I prelog on work days since I know how it's going to go up until dinner. Then I prelog that if I know. Sometimes my mood will change and I'll end up having to change the diary, but it's no big deal.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will, at times, pre-log everything. Especially on the days that I am working. I bring lunch and occassional snacks from home, so I will go on and log those. It allows me to know how much I am allowed for supper... allowing me to better keep myself under my calorie goal. On the days I am off, I pretty much just log as I'm going.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I pre plan almost everything because for me it's a simple matter of

Failing to Plan = Planning to Fail

If you want to succeed you have to know before hand what you are going to be sticking in your face . .
    Sticking stuff into your face and not knowing what it's cost you is not making a healthy choice, it's living by instinct. and that's how you fail

Don't get me wrong I enjoy pizza, but the difference is I know how much it's costing me before I buy it. and I know how much I can eat. Other wise I am going to eat it and be logging it later and wish I hadn't eat it!

So I pre log pizza and know two slices should be good enough...Good luck
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will, at times, pre-log everything. Especially on the days that I am working. I bring lunch and occassional snacks from home, so I will go on and log those. It allows me to know how much I am allowed for supper... allowing me to better keep myself under my calorie goal. On the days I am off, I pretty much just log as I'm going.

I am, however, trying to work up to logging everything for a few days a head of time. I think this would be even better with planning and staying under calorie goals.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Cooking for one is always rather boring, so I usually make 4 servings and save the leftovers. This way it's very easy to pre-log, I know what meals I have in the fridge ready to go the next day. If I've planned a meal I log the recipie before cooking it usually. It also motivates me to actually cook it that day, rather than getting bored and grabbing something else.

Today I didn't plan ahead, and realized that I was ridiculously low and had to make a 900 cal dinner - well, I added 150 cals of nuts and feta cheese to up it - and I'm still below goal. Pre-logging would've helped today :P
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I always enter my food for the day ahead of time...it is so much easier when you know what you are going to have and it makes it much easier to stay within my calorie limits for the day. I may add an additional snack if I know I have available calories left, but otherwise I stick to what I have already logged.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I rarely know what I'm fixing for dinner when I wake up.. Let alone planning my calories for the whole day.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    I pre-log for when I go to work, because I have to bring whatever I'm eating or I end up eating crap. I usually have a plan for dinner at least the protein, because it usually have to be defrosted, and then I build around that with whatever I have at hand.
  • Mongognom
    Options
    Today I didn't plan ahead, and realized that I was ridiculously low and had to make a 900 cal dinner - well, I added 150 cals of nuts and feta cheese to up it - and I'm still below goal. Pre-logging would've helped today :P

So true. I have set up calorie goals for 5 meals, and then I have one makeup meal at the end where I have whatever I didn't manage during the day. But there are still days when I don't make good enough plans, like today when I have 700-ish calories that I can't make up for.
  • Mongognom
    Options
    I prelog on the days i bring all my food to work. If those are my only options that's what Im eating. Lately I've been doing it more as a way to restrict my mindless snacking.

I work surrounded by food, so having a plan and sticking to it instead of nibbling on cheese and ham or buying a huge lunch that could have worked as dinner calorie wise.