Do you do anything about "bad" days?

Options
124»

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Unplanned days where you happen to go over your limit significantly (by 800+?)

Do you work out extra hard the next few days, or cut down to make up for it? Or do you continue the next day as if nothing happened? Do occasional screw-ups gone unaccounted for tend to limit your results or do you notice no real impact on your losses over time?
    If you're on a .5 pound weight loss goal ( 250 cal deficit) fix that over the course of the next 6 days and add an extra 130 cal deficit, increase your water consumption and step up your gym routine by an extra 10-15 mins.

check out zig zag calorie calculator. It various out the amount of calories of each day... at the end of the week, you still have that deficit you're looking for. A lot of people use this when they hit a plateu as well.
  • bolmera1
    bolmera1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My bad days are always on Saturday and Sunday and i always end up gaining or not losing bc of it. My body is weird and it sucks! but hey i'm trying! My biggest problem is recording everything on the weekends. I'm going to try to make it a habit asap!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i try to eat as much food as possible without gaining weight. this is part of the learning experience .
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This thread is encouraging. I occasionally go on "sugar" binges and just go way overboard on candy, chocolate, etc., ending up feeling sick and terrible by the end of the day. Hard not to beat myself up the next day. Mostly, I just try to remind myself that every day is a new chance, a fresh start, and I have the power to choose differently today.

A "bad" day for me is going too low on calories or too high on sugar(NOT fruit). Many of these posts are good reminders that my past doesn't define me. What I choose to do with my future is what makes all the difference :)
  • jmesches
    jmesches Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    an occasional bad day is not going to cause any problems. Your body is not on a 24 hour clock. Your weekly trend is more important than your daily. If you look at the week report, is your average at or below your goal? That is what's most important. Track your intake as accurately as you can and keep on moving. You'll see results.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Unplanned days where you happen to go over your limit significantly (by 800+?)

Do you work out extra hard the next few days, or cut down to make up for it? Or do you continue the next day as if nothing happened? Do occasional screw-ups gone unaccounted for tend to limit your results or do you notice no real impact on your losses over time?

Just forgive yourself and move on. You can not out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I finally lost the weight and achieved my dream and have been maintaining for over a year.

You can have a calorie budget for a week, it does not have to be the same calorie limit every day. If you know you are going to have higher days you can have lower days and still stay within your weekly calorie deficit. All that matters is that you have an overall calorie deficit. You don't have to be perfect. You only have to have more forward days than not.

Even then..Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Best of luck to you! Bobbie
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Every week I have a day where I go over by about 1000 calories, if not more. Been that way for my entire weight loss. Would I have lost faster if I didn't have those days? Maybe.... But I enjoy it, so it's worth it.
  • samigirl1975
    samigirl1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If its a bad sodium day, I drink alot of water the next day. otherwise, do nothing but move on!

Same here!!! I will drink tons of water daily if I can. I do drink 6 - 9 glasses of water per day!